RBH Sound Owner's Thread

A

andreakobe44

Audiophyte
I recently became hooked on the helpful Youtube videos that this site has. I've got a beginner question unfortunately. I've got some really old JBL northridge series speakers that I'd like to upgrade to RBH. My question is should I go for the reference series for home theater or the standard model? Would an average person hear a difference? I was looking at the sv-61r/661r/661cr for a 5 channel system. I do mostly music listening. Thanks for any help and sorry to hijack the thread.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Brian responded to my F/U question.

The current 1212PR sub:

1. XLR Input uses the AVR's XO/EQ.
2. RCA Input uses the Sub's XO/EQ.

This is different from the External Sub Amp (SA-500DSP), which allows the user a more control.
Okay thanks sorry I missed this followup.

Really appreciate this really do

By the way that sub just kicks total ass

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently became hooked on the helpful Youtube videos that this site has. I've got a beginner question unfortunately. I've got some really old JBL northridge series speakers that I'd like to upgrade to RBH. My question is should I go for the reference series for home theater or the standard model? Would an average person hear a difference? I was looking at the sv-61r/661r/661cr for a 5 channel system. I do mostly music listening. Thanks for any help and sorry to hijack the thread.
You’re NOT hijacking at all since this thread is about anything related to RBH. :D

Personally, I don’t think most people will notice a significant difference between Reference vs Standard. In general, the Reference series will give you more dynamics (play at louder volume without distorting) and power handling (can take more power).

But for most people who don’t listen that loud from a distance of less than 15 FT away, I don’t think they will hear a significant difference.

I have the SVT towers in my living room. The upper cabinet (SV-831/R) is Reference, but the lower subwoofer cabinet (SV-1212N) is non-powered and Standard, not Reference. Although I may not need the extra dynamics and power handling of the Reference SV-1212NR sub, I do wish I had gotten it anyway. :D

So if it’s 100% about needs, then probably don't need it. But if it’s about wants and desires, then heck yeah. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay thanks sorry I missed this followup.

Really appreciate this really do

By the way that sub just kicks total ass
Oh I know it. I have a pair of the SVT towers, so that's 2 of the SV-1212's right there.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh I know it. I have a pair of the SVT towers, so that's 2 of the SV-1212's right there.
Once things calms down I'm thinking of buying 2 of the passive versions I want to get away from amps inside my subs do you have any suggestions for good class D amps with dsp built in to each amp that could drive them?

I've spoken to RBH and they've told me they would send me there dsp settings so that I could get there passive subs to match the active sub I have exactly

Thanks again for all your help I am going to be a new customer for a long long time! I now completely understand all the love they get

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Once things calms down I'm thinking of buying 2 of the passive versions I want to get away from amps inside my subs do you have any suggestions for good class D amps with dsp built in to each amp that could drive them?

I've spoken to RBH and they've told me they would send me there dsp settings so that I could get there passive subs to match the active sub I have exactly

Thanks again for all your help I am going to be a new customer for a long long time! I now completely understand all the love they get
Ah, I'm slowly getting guys to "convert" to EXTERNALLY powered subs. :D

I posted earlier somewhere that I helped a guy "convert" from his big SVS sub to dual SVT towers (with SV-1212NR). He decided to go with dual SA-500DSP, instead of the Yamaha PX3/PX5. But anyway, his giant SVS sub's internal amp FAILED TWICE in a couple of years. So he decided to sell the SVS and is now converted to externally powered subs. :D

The RBH SA-500DSP is the sub amp I am using for my SVT towers.

But I think the Yamaha PX3 or PX5 (depending on how much power you desire) would do the trick. I spent some time with the PX3. It has plenty of XO and PEQ settings. There's a thread I started on the Yamaha PX3 somewhere.The PX3 is 2Ch and you can do XO/PEQ for each channel independently if you want (or set them exactly the same).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, I'm slowly getting guys to "convert" to EXTERNALLY powered subs. :D

I posted earlier somewhere that I helped a guy "convert" from his big SVS sub to dual SVT towers (with SV-1212NR). He decided to go with dual SA-500DSP, instead of the Yamaha PX3/PX5. But anyway, his giant SVS sub's internal amp FAILED TWICE in a couple of years. So he decided to sell the SVS and is now converted to externally powered subs. :D

The RBH SA-500DSP is the sub amp I am using for my SVT towers.

But I think the Yamaha PX3 or PX5 (depending on how much power you desire) would do the trick. I spent some time with the PX3. It has plenty of XO and PEQ settings. There's a thread I started on the Yamaha PX3 somewhere.The PX3 is 2Ch and you can do XO/PEQ for each channel independently if you want (or set them exactly the same).

How old was his SVS? I hope my powered subs live a long life. Is 10 years possible?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
With a sub driven with an external power amp such as a Crown XLS series or a QSC GX series amp, there should be no worry about reliability.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had to replace one of mine so that's 1 within 2 years
Definitely doesn't happen all the time, but I've heard enough about INTERNAL amps failing to never want anything (speakers or subs) with internal amps.

In all my years in this hobby, I've only used one sub with internal amp and couple of DefTech speakers with internal amps. I sold them the minute I came to this realization years ago.

After you've used external sub amps, there's no going back. Just like all the guys I've "converted" over the years. Nobody goes back to internal sub amps after they've experienced external sub amps. :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Definitely doesn't happen all the time, but I've heard enough about INTERNAL amps failing to never want anything (speakers or subs) with internal amps.
Hey I have a noob question let's say I want to use a crown xls amp I already own several they state they have a frequency range of 20hz-20khz but the RBH subs I plan to get play down to 17hz+-3db plus with in room they go much lower

So how do you pull that off if that only responds to frequencies down to 20hz wouldn't you need an amp that plays lower then that so you can capture that 17hz scene in Pulse for example?

This is probably a very stupid noob question but I've always been curious about that

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With a sub driven with an external power amp such as a Crown XLS series or a QSC GX series amp, there should be no worry about reliability.
And yet people like us who use external amps for subs are like what, 1% of everyone? :D

You tell people that you use external amps for subs and they all look at you like they don't know what you're talking about. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
And yet people like us who use external amps for subs are like what, 1% of everyone? :D
I agree with you and the Yamaha PX series amp should be included as a good contender along with the Crown XLS series and the QSC GX series ones. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey I have a noob question let's say I want to use a crown xls amp I already own several they state they have a frequency range of 20hz-20khz but the RBH subs I plan to get play down to 17hz+-3db plus with in room they go much lower

So how do you pull that off if that only responds to frequencies down to 20hz wouldn't you need an amp that plays lower then that so you can capture that 17hz scene in Pulse for example?

This is probably a very stupid noob question but I've always been curious about that
The amps might be "rated" for 20Hz-20kHz. But they can probably do 10Hz-30kHz if need to.

I wouldn't worry about that.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The amps might be "rated" for 20Hz-20kHz. But they can probably do 10Hz-30kHz if need to.

I wouldn't worry about that.
Oh okay cool thanks I forget just because there rated to a range doesn't mean that's all they can do thanks man

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with you and the Yamaha PX series amp should be included as a good contender along with the Crown XLS series and the QSC GX series ones. :)
Yeah, in terms of affordable external pro amps, Yamaha, Crown, and QSC are good.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

In all my years in this hobby, I've only used one sub with internal amp and couple of DefTech speakers with internal amps. I sold them the minute I came to this realization years ago.

After you've used external sub amps, there's no going back. Just like all the guys I've "converted" over the years. Nobody goes back to internal sub amps after they've experienced external sub amps. :D
Sounds like a good idea but subs can be expensive items. It sounds like most companies would sell you the plate amp and ship it to you. I did see that one Monolith guy had to ship his entire sub back though.

A

andreakobe44

Audiophyte
You’re NOT hijacking at all since this thread is about anything related to RBH. :D

Personally, I don’t think most people will notice a significant difference between Reference vs Standard. In general, the Reference series will give you more dynamics (play at louder volume without distorting) and power handling (can take more power).

But for most people who don’t listen that loud from a distance of less than 15 FT away, I don’t think they will hear a significant difference.

I have the SVT towers in my living room. The upper cabinet (SV-831/R) is Reference, but the lower subwoofer cabinet (SV-1212N) is non-powered and Standard, not Reference. Although I may not need the extra dynamics and power handling of the Reference SV-1212NR sub, I do wish I had gotten it anyway. :D

So if it’s 100% about needs, then probably don't need it. But if it’s about wants and desires, then heck yeah. :D
Great thanks!

I have a pretty small room for my setup so I'd very rarely be 15 ft away. I just listen to probably 75% music so wondered if it was worth it in the long run. I'd like to have these for a while. I'm no audiophile so I just wondered if I'd notice a difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis