What should I do with my Sub?

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I saw that build last night. A very different kind of situation. Extremely impressive.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Very clean system, how deep did you push that wall out or did you take up space in what ever is behind it?

I don't have any paint brushes so I'm going to finish it up tomorrow after a trip to Lowes.
What are you finishing up? I saw you pulled everything out(?), what's your current plan?

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I opened up the entire bottom half of the wall from left to right.. Repainted and reinstalled my new Free Range Speakers.

The sub is currently in the wall to see if it's 'good enough' while I work on a overall better situation.

However now that I've opened up most of that wall, would you guys still recommend putting the sub.. elsewhere? Behind, in-front, close to the couch?

If behind the fabric in the wall is ok, should I also open the ceiling above the sub? see pics.

That overall better situation will be to order a very long cable and try to pull it inside the wall along a fur-down. after that I'll have more placement options.

Also, once this crazy shutdown is over and if both me and my wife are still working. I'll look at getting a 2nd sub.

Also 80% of the reason I put the foam there was because I had a lot of it and nothing to do with it. I can remove it super easy. I don't think it's really doing anything positive other then looks kinda cool.

Attachments

Last edited:
clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
This is what it looks like right now. Unfortunately there is only 10" behind the Left and right. But I oped up the wood so that the speaker extends 5" past it. I left a little there to act as support for the structure as I still have the the shelf above each main tower. One is for the equipment, the other will be for media one I finish building it out.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still paying attention man. I just don't have much to add until I figure out exactly what you're doing here, lol.

Good on you for considering the advice given tho and I can see you're taking us seriously.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Fwiw, I would not leave that sub in there unless there was no other choice. It might look better, but when the lights go down is what matters to me.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Fwiw, I would not leave that sub in there unless there was no other choice. It might look better, but when the lights go down is what matters to me.
One sub in there is probably fine.
Two more spread around that room would be...
Delightful!
1586620748722.png

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Oh for sure! When I Get the 2nd sub I have two options that are easier to place it. Other places I'll have to run cables along walls.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh for sure! When I Get the 2nd sub I have two options that are easier to place it. Other places I'll have to run cables along walls.
If it helps any, I’ve tucked many cables under base board trim. Every house is different but in my house there’s plenty of room between the tack strips and carpet and trim to stuff cables into.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If it helps any, I’ve tucked many cables under base board trim. Every house is different but in my house there’s plenty of room between the tack strips and carpet and trim to stuff cables into.
A lot of houses have a little room there, but depends on how thick the carpet is too. Not everyone has one, but a stair tool would work pretty well for tucking it in there. Just have to be careful not to accidentally shove a wire into the tack strip.

ae235-500x500.jpeg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of houses have a little room there, but depends on how thick the carpet is too. Not everyone has one, but a stair tool would work pretty well for tucking it in there. Just have to be careful not to accidentally shove a wire into the tack strip.

View attachment 35342
Indeed. In my case, I sometimes have to pull the tucked carpet away from the trim to make room. But it works...
I can see or friendly OP won’t have such luck. Maybe cable runners?

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Here is the floor-plan with some data. Because of the unfinished area I can Maybe pull a cable to that south wall. Even an extra 20 amp dedicated line.

Other option is in the north corner.

I do understand BOTH options are against walls and corners even.. Do you think that either option is even remotely a good idea?

I can test the North side now with my current cables but I have a feeling that being in the little cutout is less ideal.
For the south side, that I need to wait till I can get a very long cable. Feel it's work trying?

Attachments

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Why don't you stick your sub in the main listening position and then see how it sounds in each of your available spots? Sort of a mini sub crawl.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think it's been asked before...
(several times)
Have you tried the subwoofer crawl?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Why don't you stick your sub in the main listening position and then see how it sounds in each of your available spots? Sort of a mini sub crawl.
My, what great timing! ;)

And if he's going to do that... Crawl out the whole room! :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis