lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any recommendations on the proper Avr
There really isn't a proper avr, you could get one with 6 channels of amplification and set it to mono. Or as suggested look at whole home audio distribution amps.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any recommendations on the proper Avr
I think HD's suggestion of looking into some home audio distribution gear might be a better solution for you than an AVR. He's right in that it might be better suited for your purpose.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How do I wire for mono ? Don't follow sorry
You don't wire for it, it would be a mode in your AVR like "stereo", "5.1", etc. Not all have it tho. I'll refer to the posts above.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think HD's suggestion of looking into some home audio distribution gear might be a better solution for you than an AVR. He's right in that it might be better suited for your purpose.
Altho if intending to have a proper surround system down the line, an avr might work also as long as it has enough amp channels for your use (and hopefully a mono mode....looking at the 590 manual it has an FM mono indicator light as the only thing that came up searching it for mono but you could tell easily enough by cycling thru the sound mode options if there is one, too). If you want more rooms with ceiling speakers for background, then whole home audio setups would likely be better suited.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much most 7ch avrs have 6 channels of amps and most I have used have a mono mode. I prefer Denon mostly these days, but if their sister company Marantz had an equally priced/featured avr, that's definitely another option.

E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
Marantz AV Suround Receiver NR1604 100W 7.1 Channels HDMI 7in/1out , will this work ??
Or
Denon - AVR 7.2-Ch. Bluetooth Capable With HEOS HDR Compatible A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
Model:AVRS750H is this a good one to use ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz AV Suround Receiver NR1604 100W 7.1 Channels HDMI 7in/1out , will this work ??
The 1604's main attraction tends to be it's form factor (it's somewhat short in height) but has one of the wearker amp sections as a trade off (and limited pre-outs for external amplification). With reasonably sensitive speakers may not be an issue depending on your listening levels. It has the lowest version of the Audyssey room eq, the basic MultEQ.

Or
Denon - AVR 7.2-Ch. Bluetooth Capable With HEOS HDR Compatible A/V Home Theater Receiver - Black
Model:AVRS750H is this a good one to use ?
Slightly better in the built in amp spec, normal size box, same pre-out choices as the 1604 (just 2.1), same Audyssey. Made by same company (Denon & Marantz share ownership these days and often even similar builds, marketing is the biggest differentiation).

E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
Sony STR-DN1050 7.2 Channel Channel 165 Watt Receiver ??? Any Good ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I wouldn't call it a "165 Watt" receiver....seems its rated at 100wpc with 2ch driven at 6 ohm 20hz-20khz at .09% THD....but it'd work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What exactly does 2 Ch driven mean ?
That means the test is done with only two channels being driven at that particular spec of impedance/thd/frequency range. It's also somewhat misleading to show it only at 6 ohms rather than the traditional 8 ohms (8 ohm spec would be a bit lower).

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Read the manual, connecting speakers as instructed to designated positions, accepting the fact that this receiver only supports a 5.1 function. If you want additional capabilities buy a more versatile receiver that will do what you want it to do.

Last edited:
E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
Read the manual, connecting speakers as instructed to designated positions, accepting the fact that this receiver only supports a 5.1 function. If you want additional capabilities buy a more versatile receiver that will do what you want it to do.
How do I safely connect these 4 speakers ( Polk audio 70rt ) to this amp ? I have all 4 connected to the front left and right terminal only. I've read that is a bad thing to do ! But that is how I have them now and after a while of high volume play it overheats and shuts off , I know that's not good . Thanks

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
How do I safely connect these 4 speakers ( Polk audio 70rt ) to this amp ? I have all 4 connected to the front left and right terminal only. I've read that is a bad thing to do ! But that is how I have them now and after a while of high volume play it overheats and shuts off , I know that's not good . Thanks
Sure it heats up because you have 4 speakers running off a concept designed to support just a stereo pair of speakers from the front left/right terminals. In other words, disconnect one pair of speakers and the receiver will sound great unless your speakers are a 4 ohm model. At any rate there is no safe way to do what you want to do. To do what you want to do requires an amp with two pairs of stereo outputs which can be set/switched to simultaneously power two sets of speakers; yet, even those can not usually simultaneously power two sets of speakers which draw a 4 ohm load.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You read it's a bad thing to do but did it anyway..?

Yes that would definitely heat things up and cause a shutdown. No, it's not good. You're lucky you didn't do any damage. Why are you hooking them up that way to begin with?

E

Edwin78

Enthusiast
Read about it after it was hooked up that way. So it should work using the surround terminals. These are 8ohm speakers I believe .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis