Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I refer you all to post #454 above where I mention about that wonderful vitamin. We, in North America, are not the most exposed to the Sun's rays.
The recent press articles about vitamin D discuss people, especially men, who get less than the recommended amount. I saw one article claiming 40% of the population in the US might be deficient. But you are promoting megadoses, which is not a good idea because vitamin D accumulates in body fat and too much of it can cause an unhealthy build-up of calcium in your bloodstream. We know from your past posts you are an advocate of homeopathic medicine, which is mostly a scam, and so are megadoses of vitamins.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you. IMO, the future of cruise lines is really dim. Most of them will go bankrupt.
Nothing but a floating petri dish.

Might be better to convert them to floating / mobile hospitals perhaps

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The recent press articles about vitamin D discuss people, especially men, who get less than the recommended amount. I saw one article claiming 40% of the population in the US might be deficient. But you are promoting megadoses, which is not a good idea because vitamin D accumulates in body fat and too much of it can cause an unhealthy build-up of calcium in your bloodstream. We know from your past posts you are an advocate of homeopathic medicine, which is mostly a scam, and so are megadoses of vitamins.
I take 3000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily along with Vitamin K2 which just prevents calcium from depositing into arteries. I refer you to a book written by a Canadian naturopathic doctor. In her well documented book, "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox", Dr. Kate Rhéaume-Bleue explains the importance of taking K2 to direct the calcium to bones and teeth. By the way, I don't remember the last time I had the flu, possibly 25 years ago.
There is a Canadian company, CanPrev, that markets capsules of Vitamin D3 with Vitamin K2. This is what I consume daily with some cod liver oil. For your info, there is at least one US online store which sells the product.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I refer you all to post #454 above where I mention about that wonderful vitamin. We, in North America, are not the most exposed to the Sun's rays.
I didn't remember seeing it, but I watched the video early this morning before I fired up the ol' computin' machine.

In fact, the video I watched indicated that a fairly high % of people in Florida and Southern AZ are Vitamine D deficient. People who sit inside with their face glued to a smart phone, computer, TV and other non-social devices are really at high risk, but I think we knew that.

Some of us are in direct sunlight enough that it's not an issue but another point the Dr in the video made- ~83% of the Dermatologists in the study were low in Vitamin D, basically because of their view that sunlight is bad.

highfigh

highfigh

The video mentioned super-dosing on a monthly basis and that there was no improvement over the control group, but taking Cod Liver Oil supplements (and a couple of others) did make a difference if the dosage was correct.

highfigh

highfigh

Nothing but a floating petri dish.

Might be better to convert them to floating / mobile hospitals perhaps
I was thinking that they're more similar to cess pools, but, OK.

They would have to be sanitized before use as hospitals, but they definitely have enough rooms and ability for providing food.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I take 3000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily along with Vitamin K2 which just prevents calcium from depositing into arteries. I refer you to a book written by a Canadian naturopathic doctor. In her well documented book, "Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox", Dr. Kate Rhéaume-Bleue explains the importance of taking K2 to direct the calcium to bones and teeth. By the way, I don't remember the last time I had the flu, possibly 25 years ago.
There is a Canadian company, CanPrev, that markets capsules of Vitamin D3 with Vitamin K2. This is what I consume daily with some cod liver oil. For your info, there is at least one US online store which sells the product.
I don't need a book by a "naturopathic doctor", whatever that is, to tell me what the US NIH posts on their web site:

But getting enough K2 is just a matter of eating some rather common foods, like broccoli and pork. [edit: only from animal products. Plants contain vitamin K, not K2. Thanks to Paul for the PM.]

As for not having the flu for a long time, I haven't either, but I know the reason, and it's not vitamin D. I get a flu shot every year, and have been for as long as I can remember. Have you been getting flu shots?

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm very very sorry to hear of your loss. On top of what your saying it's very very frustrating to see people refusing to socially distance and isolate correctly.

Just last night leaving work I spotted a bunch of teenagers just wandering around

How are we going to enforce CDC guidelines if no one is going to comply?

At least San Antonio is cracking down tonight we were issued letters from work there is a curfew now in effect in San Antonio And also a stay at home mandate which San Antonio is going to enforce and unless you have said documentation proving you are necessary personnel that requires to be out working you will be fined or given further consequences.

But I'm really beginning to feel is it too late?

People won't comply

Government is horrible right now with leadership we were caught with our pants down and we still are short on testing and only testing active symptoms being displayed we need early testing sorely right now without it we are trying to cut the head off a snake while being blindfolded

Congress can't get there sh@$! together either

Trump is pushing for a back to work in 15 days you know that's the angle he's shooting for

And you can imagine the chaos that will create if he releases restrictions and most states won't comply but people get desperate to get back to work

It could get really really volatile out there

Good Lord what a mess

I'm really going to push for my parents to get back to Red River New Mexico its isolated in the mountains very low population for hundreds of miles around I don't want them here if this gets any worse or things blow up eventually plus I'm in medical I'm being very careful but I don't want to put them at risk

Sh@$! If we can't contaign it what's next ?
My brother in law couldn't even get tested in San Antonio because he didn't fit the age range. He has asthma and his son has an auto immune issue. At least they're all staying at home. Glad I'm a bit away from the bigger cities, but we've got 5 cases here too. Crazy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A local bar owner in my town came down with it, might be the first super-local. He had to go to the press to get the story out because the county is choosing to not release any demographics until at least 50 cases (or something like that).
He could easily have been contagious prior to the SIP orders while serving the public in a popular bar.
A town of 7000 could go from 1 to hundreds of cases from this one vector alone.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I watched a video of a presentation by an otolaryngoligist who was showing that VitaminD deficiency is responsible for a lot of upper respiratory illnesses including Influenza, RA and cancers. Might be something to ask the DR next time.

I looked on YouTube, but haven't found the specific link, but there's no shortage of similar info.
I assure you that info about vitamin D deficiency being responsible for "a lot of upper respiratory illnesses including influenza, RA, and cancers" has been thoroughly investigated, and found to be nonsense. Those claims are at best poorly documented, and at worst they're an unlimited load of codswallop (to borrow a medical term from TLS Guy).

Similar studies have been done for vitamins A and K, with similar results.

The nutritional functions of the various B vitamins are well known because they act as co-factors to well understood enzymes involved in carbohydrate based energy metabolism. Vitamins A and D act more like hormones than enzyme co-factors. They participate in the regulation of expression of a wide variety of genes, and as a result, their role(s) are more difficult to understand.

One minor exception is known for vitamin involvement in cancer treatment (not prevention). Large doses of vitamin A or it's derivative retinoic acid does work temporarily at treating a somewhat rare form of leukemia, Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia, APL

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't need a book by a "naturopathic doctor", whatever that is, to tell me what the US NIH posts on their web site:

But getting enough K2 is just a matter of eating some rather common foods, like broccoli and pork. [edit: only from animal products. Plants contain vitamin K, not K2. Thanks to Paul for the PM.]

As for not having the flu for a long time, I haven't either, but I know the reason, and it's not vitamin D. I get a flu shot every year, and have been for as long as I can remember. Have you been getting flu shots?
I prefer to take more Vitamin D because I don't believe in flu shots. Over the past, as the flu virus mutes from year to year, it happened several times that the flu vaccine in Canada didn't target the right flu DNA.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The best source of K2 is Natto which is fermented soybeans which Japaneses consume. Apparently, it has a bad taste which someone has to get accustomed to. Apart from greens, some cheeses are a good source of it as well.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I prefer to take more Vitamin D because I don't believe in flu shots. Over the past, as the flu virus mutes from year to year, it happened several times that the flu vaccine in Canada didn't target the right flu DNA.
I repeat… vitamin D is known to play an important role in dietary calcium uptake and utilization. It has other less well understood functions.

Vitamin D has no known role in whether people are going to be infected by the various forms of influenza we see each year. Not "believing in flu shots" is a poor reason to expose yourself and others to this preventable disease.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Well it finally happened. I read my first chest x ray that at least fits the pattern of a viral or atypical pneumonia. He had exposure to a covid patient so in all liklihood... But no imaging test is specific for Covid, one needs the swab test for that. I've seen other images around but I wasn't the first to read them.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That answer was so predictable. So you don't believe in vaccines? If a COVID-19 vaccine is available are you going to get it?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well it finally happened. I read my first chest x ray that at least fits the pattern of a viral or atypical pneumonia. He had exposure to a covid patient so in all liklihood... But no imaging test is specific for Covid, one needs the swab test for that. I've seen other images around but I wasn't the first to read them.
Because COVID-19 is still relatively rare in the US, except for a few celebrities and politicians (e.g. Tom Hanks and his wife) most people don't personally know anyone who has the virus. For many of us Gene was the first person we knew who had it. This lack of direct relationships with sufferers is IMO largely responsible for many people in the US not taking the virus as seriously as they should. While I'm somewhat ashamed of myself for thinking this, it might have been the best thing for the country if Trump had not only tested positive but had a few scary symptoms for a week or so. His perspective on the need for national isolation protocols and making protective equipment available might be a lot more urgent.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I repeat… vitamin D is known to play an important role in dietary calcium uptake and utilization. It has other less well understood functions.

Vitamin D has no known role in whether people are going to be infected by the various forms of influenza we see each year. Not "believing in flu shots" is a poor reason to expose yourself and others to this preventable disease.
See the following article. I hadn't seen before today, but this is one of the papers that reinforces the reason for and the ways I fight seasonal flu:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That answer was so predictable. So you don't believe in vaccines? If a COVID-19 vaccine is available are you going to get it?
Possibly. Most likely if it becomes seasonal like the Influenza A as it is a lot worse.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis