BMR DIY kit cabinet news

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I concur with the assessment of the XO parts, too. Enough evidence out there that the parts themselves don't matter so much as getting the design right.
I would add there is more than enough evidence that the parts themselves don't matter as long as they do have the values assigned by a good crossover design. Despite abundant claims on the internet that different capacitors do contribute audibly to a speaker's overall sound, controlled blind listening tests have definitively shown these claims are incorrect.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That guy has clearly done restorations before. He got them to work.

I never heard of Radiotechnika speakers before, but I wouldn't waste any time or effort on restoring them. The drivers look like cheap Japanese made drivers from the 1970s or 80s, and the crossover network looks too simple to be adequate. And those variable L-pads (volume controls), did he reuse the old ones or replace them? The old ones were almost certainly corroded, and new ones rapidly corrode. Either way, they produce noise. No worthwhile modern speaker uses variable L-pads anymore.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

I never heard of Radiotechnika speakers before, but I wouldn't waste any time or effort on restoring them. The drivers look like cheap Japanese made drivers from the 1970s or 80s, and the crossover network looks too simple to be adequate. And those variable L-pads (volume controls), did he reuse the old ones or replace them? The old ones were almost certainly corroded, and new ones rapidly corrode. Either way, they produce noise. No worthwhile modern speaker uses variable L-pads anymore.
Agreed. The re-built speakers are nothing to write home to mother about.

I was just impressed that an obvious Second/Third World handyman was able to achieve such handiwork with basic tools/adhesives.

Kudos to him.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, it was like watching a master mechanic restore an old beat up automobile!
It is educational watching technique and learning about how things are constructed ... but all the time my inner self is screaming "But why are you wasting all of this craftsmanship/time on a Chevy Citation when you could be restoring something cool?"

Also, the guys hands are a testimony to a life of steady use!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
"But why are you wasting all of this craftsmanship/time on a Chevy Citation when you could be restoring something cool?"
Total aside, here...
Mind, I'm not a car guy. I know... horrible. But when I was in High School, I could strip and do most minor repairs on my saxophones. ;) Carburetors, not so much.
Any way... driving the other day, pre SIP here, and I found myself behind this stunningly kept Classic Car. I couldn't say if it was Near Mint and just something somebody really cared for... If it was a restoration...
But the paint was a beautiful light blue, perfectly waxed and glimmering in the sun. The windows were spotless.
It really made me think a little about all the care and upkeep that went into this.
And why.
:p :)

And then I wondered if I should speed up and ram it, just to see if all those old stories were true!
:eek:o_O:oops:
(Don't worry, I didn't.)
:D

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, aren't we supposed to talking about the BMR kit? Who's the moron ...

Never mind. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Total aside, here...
Mind, I'm not a car guy. I know... horrible. But when I was in High School, I could strip and do most minor repairs on my saxophones. ;) Carburetors, not so much.
Any way... driving the other day, pre SIP here, and I found myself behind this stunningly kept Classic Car. I couldn't say if it was Near Mint and just something somebody really cared for... If it was a restoration...
But the paint was a beautiful light blue, perfectly waxed and glimmering in the sun. The windows were spotless.
It really made me think a little about all the care and upkeep that went into this.
And why.
:p :)

And then I wondered if I should speed up and ram it, just to see if all those old stories were true!
:eek:o_O:oops:
(Don't worry, I didn't.)
:D
I thought long and hard about which car to choose for my "Why waste craftsmanship..." statement to find the car that "in my mind" was the most nondescript car that garnered the least amount of enthusiasm. The Ford Fairmont was a contender as well!
That Pinto is neat and I completely understand what you are saying, but at the same time I really hope it was not a full blown restoration. You can pick up beat to death cars for next to nothing whether it was a POS or a classic.
For example I would love to have one of these two restored like new because they are the right balance of cool and unique for me:

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
See what you made me do!

It's all your fault!
Do you know how many times since this thread started I've been on the verge of buying a BMR Kit? I could well say the same to all of you! :p
Of course, I'm here, Corona-Layoff and SIP, nothing to do... AND one of my Credit Cards just raised my limit! Sounds like a 3-pack each of BMR Kits and Outlaw 2200s is...

:( *sighs

Responsibility sucks.

:p :cool:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was on that same verge yesterday. Now Meniscus says the tweeters are out of stock for a while. I never placed the order. That toilet paper syndrome strikes again.

How about restoring a classic like an AMC Pacer, with flames painted on the side, like in Wayne’s World? A babe magnet for sure
1584921148987.png

Last edited:
D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
What better way to endure SIP than putting together dozens of BMR kits? By the time you figure out where all of those Xover parts go, there will be boatloads of tweeters.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What better way to endure SIP than putting together dozens of BMR kits? By the time you figure out where all of those Xover parts go, there will be boatloads of tweeters.
How are you faring in all of this, Dennis?
Lot's of time to get that Tower working, I'd think. :p

Be well!!!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall

:confused: I have a pair.

They've gone by many names over the years but those series of speakers were produced for like 3 decades. The 90's have a ...questionable... port design and I need to fix a resonance in them one of these days. I'll get more pics when I do.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis