Laid off, share some recipes

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Got laid off permanently so I have time to get a little more cooking done. Have a butt with just brown and granulated sugar, kosher salt and a dash of table. I need a new smoker so I'm gonna oven this one. 225 for a few hours, may goto 275 when I wrap in foil.

Attachments

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm in the same boat. Been feeling a bit down. Dang that looks good. Gulp thanks for a bit of a uplift.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'm in the same boat. Been feeling a bit down. Dang that looks good. Gulp thanks for a bit of a uplift.
I know quite a few that are, and we can't even enjoy a drink at the bar. Been in touch with a few people and seems hopeful I can pick something up in a few weeks but I need some distractions in the meantime. Bring on the food and drinks, and of course the music and movies. Best of luck in your situation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have a dutch oven? Like fresh bread? Got flour, salt, yeast and water?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Forgot to mention, don't need the rack, :D my oven has 2.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
A dutch oven is great for cuts of meat like that pork butt or beef brisket. They can't make real smoked BBQ, but they're much easier to use than a smoker. We first brown the meat with a little olive oil inside the dutch oven on the stove top, then add all the other ingredients, and put it in the oven with the lid on.

Most are basically large oven-proof covered cast iron or ceramic pots. The handles on the pot & lid are oven-proof – no plastic, and the lids are made to keep water vapor inside the pot while cooking. They run from cheap, $50-100 for Chinese made dutch ovens, to very expensive >$300 for French made enamel-covered cast iron ones that will last a lifetime.

My wife really likes this ceramic dutch oven because it works well, it's easy to clean, and it's lighter than the cast iron ones. It cost about half the price of those very expensive French dutch ovens.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A dutch oven is great for cuts of meat like that pork butt or beef brisket. They can't make real smoked BBQ, but they're much easier to use than a smoker. We first brown the meat with a little olive oil inside the dutch oven on the stove top, then add all the other ingredients, and put it in the oven with the lid on.

Most are basically large oven-proof covered cast iron or ceramic pots. The handles on the pot & lid are oven-proof – no plastic, and the lids are made to keep water vapor inside the pot while cooking. They run from cheap, $50-100 for Chinese made dutch ovens, to very expensive >$300 for French made enamel-covered cast iron ones that will last a lifetime.

My wife really likes this ceramic dutch oven because it works well, it's easy to clean, and it's lighter than the cast iron ones. It cost about half the price of those very expensive French dutch ovens.
I've got one of the coated dutch ovens and it's fantastic. We use it for roast and braised short ribs. Both come out fantastic.

Short ribs recipe

highfigh

highfigh

Got laid off permanently so I have time to get a little more cooking done. Have a butt with just brown and granulated sugar, kosher salt and a dash of table. I need a new smoker so I'm gonna oven this one. 225 for a few hours, may goto 275 when I wrap in foil.
I have been cutting back on carbs, but decided to try some low carb tortillas and had some Chicken thighs to use. Oddly enough, I found that I had a can of enchilada sauce, so I decided to make those yesterday. I had some leftover rub from the ribs I made a while ago and that was a great way to add some flavor. I have only made enchiladas a few times and yesterday's were the best, so far. Definitely going to be making them again.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
Try this:
(from Americas Test Kitchen)
From coming from stovetop, {dutch oven}, this stuff is really good!

Indoor Pulled Chicken

Sauce
1 ½ cups ketchup
¼ cup molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
½ teaspoon salt (note + 1 ts below)
½ teaspoon pepper

Chicken
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 ts salt (note 1 ts + ½ ts above)
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved crosswise
Hot sauce
Salt & pepper for seasoning

For the sauce: Whisk all ingredients together in bowl. Set aside.

For the chicken: Bring broth, molasses, sugar, 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, gelatin, and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add chicken and return to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is easily shredded with fork, about 25 minutes.

Transfer chicken to medium bowl and set aside. Strain cooking liquid through fine-mesh strainer set over bowl (do not wash pot). Let liquid settle for 5 minutes; skim fat from surface. Set aside fat and defatted liquid.

Using tongs, squeeze chicken until shredded into bite-size pieces. Transfer chicken, 1 cup sauce, ½ cup reserved defatted liquid, 3 tablespoons reserved fat, and remaining 1 teaspoon liquid smoke to now-empty pot. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until liquid has been absorbed and exterior of meat appears dry, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

(this place does NOT accept *.doc files to attach, WTF??)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have been cutting back on carbs, but decided to try some low carb tortillas and had some Chicken thighs to use. Oddly enough, I found that I had a can of enchilada sauce, so I decided to make those yesterday. I had some leftover rub from the ribs I made a while ago and that was a great way to add some flavor. I have only made enchiladas a few times and yesterday's were the best, so far. Definitely going to be making them again.
Next time make your own sauce, will be much better than the canned stuff! Low carb tortillas? I've not heard of those before....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Been using a good Kirkland brand one from Costco, even less expensive (and IIRC made in France).

highfigh

highfigh

Next time make your own sauce, will be much better than the canned stuff! Low carb tortillas? I've not heard of those before....
I guess they're made for 'wraps', when someone wants to replace the bread in a sandwich. They're not very strong, so I lay them on one of the burners, to heat and give them a little char. 45 calories each instead of 140, mostly carbs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis