Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Let me rephrase that.

I'm very curious what the FDA can will do to speed this up.​

The real question is how high should the bar be set for efficacy? It can be argued to set the bar low because nothing else effective is available. Those decisions will be made by people at a much higher pay grade than I was.

A safe bet would be to design a clinical trial with an interim analysis built in midway during the trial. If efficacy is high enough (that has to be defined before the trial starts), give the drug preliminary approval, while continuing the trial. When all the trial's data is available, review the results, and modify the approval if needed.
Ah, that's a different question altogether. Given what must be enormous pressure to approve the use of any drug which provides tangible benefits, I would guess multiple "promising" treatments are likely to get preliminary approval. The US has, I believe, a risk-taking culture.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... a broad spectrum antibiotic like azithromycin.
Are there sever side effect to this? If not, what is there to lose in dosing up with this if it can get that sepsis or that storm.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Are there severe side effect to this? If not, what is there to lose in dosing up with this if it can get that sepsis or that storm.
As with any antibiotic, the more you use it, the more bacteria get exposed to it. And with more exposure, the more likely bacteria will develop resistance to it. That's how multi-drug resistant microrganisms developed – over use.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Let's agree to disagree. Source:
Literal quote:
"Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, corrected President Trump’s earlier suggestion that a malaria drug could cure coronavirus. "
Trump jumped the gun. Expects disagree.
Experts do not disagree. It's that other non-expert who should be dope-slapped.

Forget chloroquine. It's toxic and doesn't work as well as hydroxychloroquine might work.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Experts do not disagree. It's that other non-expert who should be dope-slapped.

Forget chloroquine. It's toxic and doesn't work as well as hydroxychloroquine might work.
nvm. I misread Gene's post. please disregard.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
On another note, man of Audioholic's Californian partners have been seriously disrupted by this virus, as expected. Monoprice has had a series of updates over the past few days talking about delays and disruptions of services. RSL Sound is temporarily closing. Harman has shut down their Northridge offices. Hsu Research is only processing orders on Mondays and Thursdays. This thing is going to be painful for a lot of audio business, sad to say, and these guys are getting hardest hit first.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Gene

Lil Wayne love the zrrrrrup

promith is strong cough syrup and not even used in California anymore. It was abused as a recreational drug.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are there sever side effect to this? If not, what is there to lose in dosing up with this if it can get that sepsis or that storm.
Yes, there are severe side effects especially from a hydrochloraquine/Azithromycin combination.

The difficulties here is that these studies that are not controlled and blinded, show increased clearance of the virus. However this does not necessarily mean the prognosis will improve.

The problem is the cytokine storm that we see in severe insults. This seems to be a patient idiosyncratic response. Given equivalent insults some patients react in this way and some do not. It is an uncontrolled response. Once unleashed it seems to have to run its course. So once there is widespread capillary damage and protein leaks out in to the instersitium and especially the alveolar air sacks it drags fluid with it, which attracts further fluid.

So if you get a patient going into sepsis your best hope is administering antibiotics early, before this process gets a full head of steam.

So my question would be how early in infections with Covid 19 do you have to administer these drugs? I would bet more likely than not you would have to get in early.

Now Plaquenil, which is hydrochloroquine, is an anti malarial. It is also used as a remitive agent in RA, Lupus and some other autoimmune diseases.

Now the drug is usually administrated orally. The creates a problem in a critically ill patient because of unreliable adsorption. There is an IV version for malarial crises, but I would bet that is in extremely limited supply and hard to ramp up quickly. The other problem is that this drug has a long half life. So if you get into trouble it will be with you for a while. After IV injection the half life is 40 hours. It takes five and a half half lives for a drug to clear. So that is 220 hours! The major side effect in chronic use is macular damage in the eye. It does however have a nasty side effect that we don't like, especially in the ICU. It prolongs the QT interval. This means it slows cardiac repolarization. This can produce a multifocal ventricular tachycardia known as Torsades de Pointes. This quickly degenerates into ventricular fibrillation which is cardiac arrest. The drug can also lead to prolonged PR interval leading to heart block and the need for emergency pacing.

Now Azithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic. I would not really call it broad spectrum. It does have activity against a great many gram positive organisms and is not active against gram negative organisms. Its main use is against atypicals, especially mycoplasma, Legionnaires disease and some atypical mycobacteria .

Now if it should prove to be synergistic to treat Covid 19 with hydrochloroquine, then there is a problem, as the biggest problem with azithromycin is prolonged QT interval. Having two drugs on board that prolong the QT interval is highly problematic.

So this would not be a combination to use in a sick patient unless you had pretty good evidence of efficacy. It is definitely not a case of you might as well use it as it won't do any harm. It could actually do a lot of harm and increase mortality. So even in these desperate situations I fear we have to tread with a degree of caution.

Lastly open label unblinded trials have a history of being misleading. So some form of blinded trial should show efficacy before this is widely recommended. If it is really any good it will not require many cases under rigid trial conditions to show efficacy in improved outcomes. The more marginally effective it is the more cases will be required to show significant benefit. Unless the benefit is really and practically significant, then this combination of drugs will likely not justify the toxicity.

Lastly just showing increased viral clearance does not mean that has to translate to improved outcome. In order to recommend this be used we need to demonstrate reduced ventilator requirement and improved survival.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
On another note, man of Audioholic's Californian partners have been seriously disrupted by this virus, as expected. Monoprice has had a series of updates over the past few days talking about delays and disruptions of services. RSL Sound is temporarily closing. Harman has shut down their Northridge offices. Hsu Research is only processing orders on Mondays and Thursdays. This thing is going to be painful for a lot of audio business, sad to say, and these guys are getting hardest hit first.
Man that really sucks Shady in doing business with RSL I really got along well with the owners they are really great guys I hope a lot of these companies can pull through

Hell not just them so many industries are going through it one of the nurses at my work was talking about how her husband is out of work for awhile due to them closing down the Toyota factory

And all the small businesses and restaurants me and my family support I know there going through it right now who knows if some of them will still be standing when it's done

Breaks my heart to see but what can you do man? It's just how life hits us both the good and the bad and we all got to take a turn

Me and some of my coworkers were talking about how even though were higher risk working medical were pretty Damn grateful just to have a job right now considering what some people are already starting to go through

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I also have to give a shout out to Laurel Ridge on how well they have handled this situation in advance of the measures that started a couple days ago they banned all outside visitations all patient outings and activities were banned

We are only allowed to enter and leave through one checkpoint all other entrances are locked and each staff is medically screened before there allowed to enter the building.

All new admits are fully screened before admission and they are no longer accepting admits from out of state

Our military units will slow way down as the military have also put a lock on all travel. Some of our soldiers are stuck there when they are already scheduled to leave it sucks but we're making the best of it and they have handled it really well

They've done even more I don't want to go on and on but it's really been impressive how fast they jumped on it.

Unfortunately our patients with severe mental illness are coming in from neglected high risk environments and they are just not stable enough mentally to take proper hygiene precautions let alone proper hygiene care of themselves

A lot of us have accepted that due to this it's only even with such a fantastic reaction by corporate a matter of time before we could become exposed or our patients or staff test positive

But still none of us are going anywhere we know we can't abandon these guys our more severe patients could never make it on there own. I'm proud of the staff I'm with and that commitment

I just don't want to risk getting it and risking my parents I'm thinking of asking them if they don't want to head back to Red River a little early this year at least till the storm of this passes

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well the whole article didn't go through but you can Google it now and check it out yourself the way he breaks things down I just like the way he communicates

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Man that really sucks Shady in doing business with RSL I really got along well with the owners they are really great guys I hope a lot of these companies can pull through

Hell not just them so many industries are going through it one of the nurses at my work was talking about how her husband is out of work for awhile due to them closing down the Toyota factory

And all the small businesses and restaurants me and my family support I know there going through it right now who knows if some of them will still be standing when it's done

Breaks my heart to see but what can you do man? It's just how life hits us both the good and the bad and we all got to take a turn

Me and some of my coworkers were talking about how even though were higher risk working medical were pretty Damn grateful just to have a job right now considering what some people are already starting to go through
Yep I've been getting emails all day by many of our partners, many freezing their advertising contracts with us. This is painful but it is not souring our relationships. We are all trying to keep a positive outlook on this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is Chris Kane, President of AudioControl who was infected by the same person I was. This drug Remdesvir saved his life. Hopefully this can be one of many drugs to help stop virus replication in the body to give COVID-19 patients a fighting chance.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
As with any antibiotic, the more you use it, the more bacteria get exposed to it. And with more exposure, the more likely bacteria will develop resistance to it. That's how multi-drug resistant microrganisms developed – over use.
Since it's a virus not a bacteria, I'm wondering if the virus has characteristics of bacteria?

highfigh

highfigh

And also because people stop taking them when THEY decide to stop because "I feel fine".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis