ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
To be fair, a cool dye job on a nice veneer doesn't exactly change the fact that my boxes aren't scoring style points on their own... :p Very utilitarian to be certain.
But yes... I rate those JBL Studio 5s to be only slightly higher than the Emo Airmotivs: Man Cave worthy to be certain. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
U
G
L
Y

They ain't got no alibi!

They ugly!
Is that a notch above fugly? :) They are a bit strange but they grow on ya! In black I just don't particularly notice them from my seat, they just look like black towers....like most. How did @Danzilla31 describe them? Like a muscle car or was that you @Pogre ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Call me vain, but I'm put off by the look of the 590's. Wouldn't care if they were behind an acoustically transparent screen, but wouldn't want them hanging out in plain sight in my living room.
I wouldn’t equate that to vanity at all. Just poor taste!!!! Lol

I happen to like them myself. That’s not to say I don’t like other designs better but I appreciate them for what they are.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
U
G
L
Y

They ain't got no alibi!

They ugly!
I don't know I feel mine look badass out in the theater room
20191210_111808.jpg
20191210_111757.jpg
20191210_111607.jpg

But then again once the lights go off you can't see em anyway.

At least.... That's what she said! ;)

But regardless I could give 2 sh@$! How they look really there's a lot of pretty speakers out there I've tried that can nowhere near give me the sound these babies do. And kick ass sound is what I'm looking for :D

But I feel ya there looks are not for everyone

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Is that a notch above fugly? :) They are a bit strange but they grow on ya! In black I just don't particularly notice them from my seat, they just look like black towers....like most. How did @Danzilla31 describe them? Like a muscle car or was that you @Pogre ?
Yep that was me I said like a muscle car getting ready to tear off the starting line

Or like a bad ass stallion about ready to explode out the gate!

I do feel they got a badass muscle look that makes them look like they mean business but that's just me

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yep that was me I said like a muscle car getting ready to tear off the starting line

Or like a bad ass stallion about ready to explode out the gate!

I do feel they got a badass muscle look that makes them look like they mean business but that's just me
Maybe that explains it. I'm not much into muscle cars, prefer the svelte look of sports cars or GT's. I just let my subwoofer give all the badass looks to the setup. LOL

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe that explains it. I'm not much into muscle cars, prefer the svelte look of sports cars or GT's. I just let my subwoofer give all the badass looks to the setup. LOL

Now your talking! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Hey what towers are those if I may ask?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
So this thread is 50+ posts long and I’m too lazy to read through the rest. Did anyone make the W893 recommendation?

I wouldn’t be worried about output with a 9” in wall. And it’ll sound great since it’s Revel. Plus they leave a lot of room for discounts in their pricing.

Ah well. Good luck William!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So this thread is 50+ posts long and I’m too lazy to read through the rest. Did anyone make the W893 recommendation?

I wouldn’t be worried about output with a 9” in wall. And it’ll sound great since it’s Revel. Plus they leave a lot of room for discounts in their pricing.

Ah well. Good luck William!
Thanks russdawg. I definitely like revel speakers,and since my whole bed layer is JBL I think they’d fit right in, and sound great, but i think in my room they would make better surrounds. My current mains are 14’ away, and 3’ out into the room. I’m afraid the little revels would not have enough output and impact from the new distance at roughly 16.5’ away. My thoughts were with five, 6.5’s and thx certification, I could maintain the effortless and dynamic sound.
Still spinning stuff around...open to other ideas!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I never thought I'd go IW, but the theater in this house has some space limitations that made it necessary. Plus, the look is clean.

Only issue is we did a rush job on the install so the bass they're supposedly capable of isn't really there, but that's on me. It'll get fixed once this virus mess is somewhat under control. Going to re-do the drywall in the room.

I will say though, these speakers sound fantastic for IW and my subs more than fix the bass issue.

I'm also a tower guy and if I get a bigger theater some day that's what will go in it.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thanks russdawg. I definitely like revel speakers,and since my whole bed layer is JBL I think they’d fit right in, and sound great, but i think in my room they would make better surrounds. My current mains are 14’ away, and 3’ out into the room. I’m afraid the little revels would not have enough output and impact from the new distance at roughly 16.5’ away. My thoughts were with five, 6.5’s and thx certification, I could maintain the effortless and dynamic sound.
Still spinning stuff around...open to other ideas!
The Kef THX stuff is good too. I’m not sure what the margin on that stuff is/if it’s possible to get a discount on it. I’m going to ask around.

I don’t give much merit to thx certification anymore. It’s just a bought certificate at this point lol. Look at the THX Klipsch in ceilings. Not much power handling and their efficiency ratings are 3-6dB overstated so they don’t really have much of an edge.

Good luck on your search!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Kef THX stuff is good too. I’m not sure what the margin on that stuff is/if it’s possible to get a discount on it. I’m going to ask around.

I don’t give much merit to thx certification anymore. It’s just a bought certificate at this point lol. Look at the THX Klipsch in ceilings. Not much power handling and their efficiency ratings are 3-6dB overstated so they don’t really have much of an edge.

Good luck on your search!
I think the THX Ultra 2 cert is a higher standard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis