ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just run your garden hose from the outdoor faucet inside to your bathroom and put a high pressure nozzle on it. That should work pretty well.
I think he probably still has a hard freeze up there in the greater Minne-sconsin area : :oops:

Ice cubes firing outa that garden hose might hurt something delicate. :p

(If it were a cartoon, it would fire ice cubes, and since reality is sucking it pretty hard right now... I'm going to go with my Cartoon Version. :D )

(BTW, Shady... I was thinking the EXACT same thing! ;) )

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just run your garden hose from the outdoor faucet inside to your bathroom and put a high pressure nozzle on it. That should work pretty well.
Well unfollow I live in hell. Daytime highs are still in the 30’s. I’m resourceful. I can mod my toilet.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think he probably still has a hard freeze up there in the greater Minne-sconsin area : :oops:

Ice cubes firing outa that garden hose might hurt something delicate. :p

(If it were a cartoon, it would fire ice cubes, and since reality is sucking it pretty hard right now... I'm going to go with my Cartoon Version. :D )

(BTW, Shady... I was thinking the EXACT same thing! ;) )
Damn!!!!!! I’d rather drag my butt across the snow!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those speakers look pretty sweet but I dunno if I'd be happy with in walls. You can get some pretty sweet traditional towers for $2500-3k. You're firmly in the Ultra budget...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Plead “recession” and keep your coffins for another few years. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those speakers look pretty sweet but I dunno if I'd be happy with in walls. You can get some pretty sweet traditional towers for $2500-3k. You're firmly in the Ultra budget...
Exactly why I was doin some recon. IW speakers as mains anyway, haven’t held much interest. I’m a tower guy first, it’s just my religion lol.
I missed the deal anyway. Iirc they are 3k each brand new so 2500pr seemed pretty damn good.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@MrBoat has similar speakers, maybe he can comment....
THe JBL S312? Love those speakers. In spite of what many conclude about superior bass performance from separate sub-woofers, I have to place them pretty much inconveniently to rival a good 3-way in my rooms. The mic and sub crawl prescribes that I use one as an ottoman, and the other by my hallway, right in the way. I had to move them into position every time I want to listen critically, which is most days. Otherwise, they have to be up on the front wall where my main speakers are to be out of the way, in the space the rest of my gear is in. When I get tired of messing around, I put the JBLs up front and forget about such things for awhile.

William is right. Most competitively priced options are a lateral move. In some ways I suspect the S312 are still better options if one is firmly rooted in say, classic rock, or mainstream pop/country music. Some of the newer speakers are too revealing for their own good.

Then again, I am a music only listener. But I cannot imagine the S312 not being enough for movies. Honestly, if I had not happened upon the internet audio scene, I would have never wanted for anything else. After a few years messing around, building quite a few kits by now, I still hold the same conclusion. Also hard to forget, I only paid $75 for a well kept pair. JBL has done well with their polyplas drivers for a long time.

What puts people off about the S312 and the 590? They don't cost enough. They can't belong to the trendy hi-fi circles online, unless they drop $10k or more on a set of towers. I have heard more expensive speakers. My conclusion was that most are colored to what we 'hoped' music would sound like, more than what it really does sound like.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes he does! He’s the one that bought my s38’s too. I have to paraphrase, but iirc he thought the 312’s were very much like the 590’s.
I still have the 'S38s. They sound very good and disappear in the room.

I do get right up with them sometimes tho. This is how I initially analyze speakers, room be damned.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What puts people off about the S312 and the 590? They don't cost enough. They can't belong to the trendy hi-fi circles online, unless they drop $10k or more on a set of towers. I have heard more expensive speakers. My conclusion was that most are colored to what we 'hoped' music would sound like, more than what it really does sound like.
I'm not put off by the 590s. I'll take a pair!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If I were to experiment with Horns... I would go this route too! That sale price that these are repetitively hitting is astounding! ;)
(Granted I'd prefer to get to try the Studio 6 series... but we can't have everything, now, can we. :p)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Call me vain, but I'm put off by the look of the 590's. Wouldn't care if they were behind an acoustically transparent screen, but wouldn't want them hanging out in plain sight in my living room.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Call me vain, but I'm put off by the look of the 590's. Wouldn't care if they were behind an acoustically transparent screen, but wouldn't want them hanging out in plain sight in my living room.
You're vain!

Now, what that has to do with liking a speaker's appearance, I don't know (unless you are concerned they make your butt look big!). Design conscious or picky, yes. Vain, no.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You're vain!

Now, what that has to do with liking a speaker's appearance, I don't know (unless you are concerned they make your butt look big!). Design conscious or picky, yes. Vain, no.
My wife has always said that I'm the picky one...

I guess I thought vain because I wouldn't want them out in plain sight because I don't like their appearance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't mind the look, tho I can see why some would be put off by it. They are definitely not subtle.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis