JBL 5 Series on sale again

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
View attachment 34385
Tape on the wall is 50”, no way can I put the tv that high. Notice the center channel sits considerably lower. If I get a center should I get a bookshelf model or dedicated center channel?
Not a big deal IMO. How much space do you have from the top of your furniture to the bottom of your TV? You could grab a 520C to try at the same time.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Shipping and included both ways if you buy from JBL, zero risk. Buy them and find out for yourself. I have the 530s and am/was very happy with them. I'll probably snag a pair of 590s myself to compare with my Revel F35s, which I am also very happy with.
Dang i keep thinking about the 530, but can't swing it right now. What music do you listen with the 530? or it it only used for HT?
I wonder if it would be better to get the two centers at $300? Not sure if these can stand upright?

Last edited:
J

jmm22

Enthusiast
590 vs 580? I’m in an apartment with a weird open concept

Moving into it on April, but I want to jump on the saw now.

Likely doing 3.0 or 3.1 until I see whether I’ll bother my neighbors below me.

Or should I run 530s for the time being?

It’s so overwhelming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Due to disturbing neighbors? It is a corner unit and we abut the stairwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the 530 should be good enough. I wanted the 580, but the 530 is all I will need in my apt. The 530 gives good bass too for it's size.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Dang i keep thinking about the 530, but can't swing it right now. What music do you listen with the 530? or it it only used for HT?
I wonder if it would be better to get the two centers at $300? Not sure if these can stand upright?
About 50/50 music/HT-TV-gaming when I used them, and I'll be setting them up on my desk soon. I listen to a bit of everything with an emphasis on harder rock. Regarding the 520s I feel like you may run into horizontal dispersion issues in an upright configuration.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd stick to multiple 530s instead of multiple 520Cs....better suited and no, due to shape of 520C not able to be stood on end without a lot of help.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Not a big deal IMO. How much space do you have from the top of your furniture to the bottom of your TV? You could grab a 520C to try at the same time.
10”

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Why would you need to raise the tv? Why is there tape on the wall at 50"? If you could use a standard bookshelf in its vertical orientation would be nice, but might have to change furniture (or on a stand in front of it) which may not be an option.
Why would you need to raise the tv? Why is there tape on the wall at 50"? If you could use a standard bookshelf in its vertical orientation would be nice, but might have to change furniture (or on a stand in front of it) which may not be an option.
tape represents the top of the 590’s. I was thinking about three 590’s but they are too tall. I am willing to raise the tv to accommodate a vertical center and I do want some symmetry.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
tape represents the top of the 590’s. I was thinking about three 590’s but they are too tall. I am willing to raise the tv to accommodate a vertical center and I do want some symmetry.
Gotcha. Yeah without an acoustically transparent screen I don't think I'd consider three 590s, one reason I have the 590s/520C combo :) The nice thing about the whole studio 5 series is they share the same compression driver in all. Makes for some audio symmetry :)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Gotcha. Yeah without an acoustically transparent screen I don't think I'd consider three 590s, one reason I have the 590s/520C combo :) The nice thing about the whole studio 5 series is they share the same compression driver in all. Makes for some audio symmetry :)
Yeah, I will go with the 520c so I don’t have to raise the tv.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I wonder if that's where they distribute from....not sure what's left there at all actually.
I used the blue tape to outline the whole speaker, they are huge! At $1000 a pair is there anything else to consider?
Same sound quality smaller footprint?
I have the subs for the bottom end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used the blue tape to outline the whole speaker, they are huge! At $1000 a pair is there anything else to consider?
They're largish but the 580 is somewhat smaller....altho I've never really compared them head to head, they should be close with a sub.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Why not get the 530 and get some solid stands?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis