Looking for a sound......

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Joni Mitchell Blue - Carey is one of my all time favorite female vocal songs. :)

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I am just completely blown away at how good audio equipment is so easy to find and even used!
So far my apartment: (walls are literally 2ft thick so no worries)
Marantz SR7007
Fluance RT-81 TT
Fronts: paradigm premier 800f
Center: paradigm premier 600c
Rears: paradigm surround 1's
Sub: paradigm v10
60" plasma tv and blue ray player for cd and movies.

Truck- need to finish amp installs..
Fornt: 6.5" component polks
Rear: 4x6" component plate polks
Kicker zx350.4 4 channel amp
Kicker zx750.1 mono
Subs: 2 JL audio 8" in ported under rear bench seat.

Bike- need to purchase yet- JL audio 6x9s and marine amp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That’s a nice setup you have, anything else above what you have now would cost thousands more I’d stay put.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thinking like 40? From taylor swift, to guns and Rose's, to Mumford and sons, to Nelly, and no, not Fritado lol, sum 41, skillet, prodigy, neil diamond...... I literally listen to it all, but lately I dont really listen to half of that stuff anymore. My girl has even said to me (when I was excitedly listening to the supremes records I inherited) "you dont listen to what you used too...."

I max out all 100 myself. On spotify it tells me I've got about 4000 liked songs. My tastes are fairly eclectic overall, too. I think also helps that when either Pandora or Spotify plays something you can reinforce your likes with the "like" button as well as simply adding content to your library. LOL only Nelly I'd heard of was Furtado so had to look up Nelly...but I'm not a fan of either it seems. Every now and then I cull the lists to reflect current favorites and make way for new-to-me artists. Good luck on your search!

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
That’s a nice setup you have, anything else above what you have now would cost thousands more I’d stay put.
Thanks Gmoney! I figure I'd get more use out of it than the snowmobile I owned : ) hahaha. I have a few ideas on upgrades, which leads to lots of questions! But I'll save em for other forum listings. So far I really like these audio forums, lots of great advice and help! And thanks for the recommendations thus far. Someday I'll find that artist.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Gmoney! I figure I'd get more use out of it than the snowmobile I owned : ) hahaha. I have a few ideas on upgrades, which leads to lots of questions! But I'll save em for other forum listings. So far I really like these audio forums, lots of great advice and help! And thanks for the recommendations thus far. Someday I'll find that artist.

Your welcome bro, hang around AH has some cool members, Get to know PENG, ADTG, KEW, Gene the owner of AH, anyways lots of cool members here

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello, still kinda new to this whole forums thing, but have been racking my brain out over something. Long time audiophile ever since I hooked up a guitar amp to a 3 piece sony boom box...... I am drawn to female vocalists, but looking for simple, like Eric Clapton's unplugged, just simple acoustic guitars, or maybe some violins and a piano, but not bluesy like diana krall, something that makes you amazed at the sweet sound of a female voice, soft, delicate, and recorded well. I like some of Taylor swifts songs, but not into country, actuallyI dont know what classificationit would be (modern solo female classical? Lol). Something that can do my system justice that I've spent for me a small fortune on. Figured I seen this section and thought I would ask. Also would be purchasing either cd or 180gr. Vinyl preferably. Thanks for any suggestions!

Jane Monheit

jgferg

jgferg

Audiophyte
Patty...it appears no one has yet mentioned the late Eva Cassidy. One of the finest singers the world has ever known. Her music ticks all of your boxes...sweet, soft, delicate and well recorded. Her voice can also be powerful, raunchy and bluesy. If you are not familiar with her, I urge you to check her out a.s.a.p.!
P.S. Most of her work is available on 180g audiophile vinyl!

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Natalie Merchant’s “Tigerlily” album may be something you would enjoy. “Carnival” and “Jealousy” were the hits but “Where I Go” Is a gem. There is also the “MTV Unplugged” album when she was with 10,000 Maniacs. You might also enjoy Sara K’s “Hobo” album. Her stripped down version of The Commodores’ “Brickhouse” is kinda’ cool. Give country and bluegrass a chance. Alison Krauss has a beautiful voice. Her collaboration with Robert Plant on the “Raising Sand” album was a treat. Dolly, Emmylou and Linda were amazing on the “Trio” and “Trio II” albums. For an album of standards, check out “Love Is The Answer” from Barbra Streisand. The deluxe edition contains a second disc of the songs with just a quartet accompanying the vocals. “Where Do You Start” and “Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most” are standouts.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Jane Monheit
Yes! Found her song taking a chance on love, and felt like I was perhaps in a ball in the 40's! Awesome! This is what I'm talking about : ) that is you!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Patty...it appears no one has yet mentioned the late Eva Cassidy. One of the finest singers the world has ever known. Her music ticks all of your boxes...sweet, soft, delicate and well recorded. Her voice can also be powerful, raunchy and bluesy. If you are not familiar with her, I urge you to check her out a.s.a.p.!
P.S. Most of her work is available on 180g audiophile vinyl!
Her time after time video was linked to the one you sent, simply beautiful, that's the type of sound I've been chasing. Something to just melt into the center of my couch after a long day at work, just drop the needle, close my eyes, and breath........

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Natalie Merchant’s “Tigerlily” album may be something you would enjoy. “Carnival” and “Jealousy” were the hits but “Where I Go” Is a gem. There is also the “MTV Unplugged” album when she was with 10,000 Maniacs. You might also enjoy Sara K’s “Hobo” album. Her stripped down version of The Commodores’ “Brickhouse” is kinda’ cool. Give country and bluegrass a chance. Alison Krauss has a beautiful voice. Her collaboration with Robert Plant on the “Raising Sand” album was a treat. Dolly, Emmylou and Linda were amazing on the “Trio” and “Trio II” albums. For an album of standards, check out “Love Is The Answer” from Barbra Streisand. The deluxe edition contains a second disc of the songs with just a quartet accompanying the vocals. “Where Do You Start” and “Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most” are standouts.
Natalie's cowboy romance! That's it! That's what I'm looking for ! I'll definitely have to dig deeper, all these suggestions! I'm gonna be busy for a while!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Brika just sounds.....um.....nope, that's not it lol. Now that Gardot song you posted! I'm listening to it on my $25 BT speaker and have goosebumps! Can't wait to hear it on my system! Though, it is bluesish, I'll give it a shot! : )

Truth be told, Gardot does lean towards the blues, but there are different levels of blues and I love the production quality along with the lack of processing on her albums! She gets the details just so instead of leaving it to a producer to clean it up!
Male singer, but you might like this. Note how much his singing and the trombone match in style!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hey @pattyt21 I just remembered this one:

Just a sample, but the whole of The Freedom Sessions is excellent and makes me melt every time I listen to it!

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Yes, Diana Krall is an "audiophile standard" as is Patricia Barber (both are in the bluesy jazz category). Some of the well recorded female vocals I enjoy are:

Ani DiFranco, especially Up Up Up Up Up Up (singer/song writer, guitar, Grrrl power)
Fiona Apple, all of her stuff, but Extraordinary Machine is probably the best sounding (art pop, piano)
OP, This is the correct answer to your question. These are the artists you want to listen to.

Patricia's best is Cafe Blue, Diane's All For You.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to everyone for all your help! I just got Amazon music HD a sunday, and will start listening to all these recommendations! I also like that what I like, I plug in and will recommend other artists in the same genre. Should help me expand my horizons a bit. Also in less than a week I will have the klipsch amp/dac to go with the HP-3 headphones I'm buying tomorrow, and finally figured out my tablet to do audio USB to use a external DAC, I see some serious listening sessions on the horizon .......

2channel lover

Do you subscribe to a streaming service? That's probably the best way to demo songs and find out what you do and don't like before springing for the physical media.

Yes, Diana Krall is an "audiophile standard" as is Patricia Barber (both are in the bluesy jazz category). Some of the well recorded female vocals I enjoy are:

Ani DiFranco, especially Up Up Up Up Up Up (singer/song writer, guitar, Grrrl power)
Fiona Apple, all of her stuff, but Extraordinary Machine is probably the best sounding (art pop, piano)
Rising Appalachia, especially Filthy Dirty South (modern folk, guitars, duets)

Of course, there is a lot more, but this can be a start!

+1 on Karen Carpenter - one of a kind voice!
Krall is a favorite of mine but she largely colors withing the lines whereas Patricia Barber is willing to explore a little more. Like them both but considerably different artistically.

I have a Shelby Lynn I really like, and a couple of Jacinthia's, love the Karen Carpenter choice, Dianne Reeves is another strong voice, but when I want to be awed by the female voice, I pull out Nina Simone...Little Girl Blue...SACD.

Last edited:

2channel lover

OP, This is the correct answer to your question. These are the artists you want to listen to.

Patricia's best is Cafe Blue, Diane's All For You.
All in on Cafe Blue...Diana...tough one...The Girl In the Other Room is my favorite.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love pretty much anything with Amy Lee from Evanescence She has such a beautiful voice and she's a skilled vocalist

And for something with a little more pep...

It doesn't hurt that she's easy on the eyes still either. She's been around for a long time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis