Denon 3600 vs Denon 4500

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Think the other way around. NeuralX wouldn’t be allowed on Dolby Digital.
Yeah, you and Von are right. :D

So if the Source is Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD, you can only use DSU, but you cannot use DTS NeuralX.

Man that would suck. Thank goodness Dolby removed that restriction, as Von pointed out. :D

I use NeuralX like 99% of the time for non-Atmos/non-DTSX contents. So that would be bad for me.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Dolby Digital or Dolby Surround?
I’m thinking it means if Netflix sends Dolby 2.0 or Dolby 5.1 original signal, you are only able to use Dolby DSU upmixer and can’t use the DTS NeuralX upmixer.

I don’t know if you could force a PCM signal at TV or streamer etc prior to reaching the AVR, then use NeuralX. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m thinking it means if Netflix sends Dolby 2.0 or Dolby 5.1 original signal, you are only able to use Dolby DSU upmixer and can’t use the DTS NeuralX upmixer.

I don’t know if you could force a PCM signal at TV or streamer etc prior to reaching the AVR, then use NeuralX. :)
Yeah I thought of that after :) I would prefer to use the sound mode of choice on content of choice (and am used to such)....you might have a way there by having the source decode the Dolby...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, you and Von are right. :D

So if the Source is Dolby Digital or Dolby TrueHD, you can only use DSU, but you cannot use DTS NeuralX.

Man that would suck. Thank goodness Dolby removed that restriction, as Von pointed out. :D

I use NeuralX like 99% of the time for non-Atmos/non-DTSX contents. So that would be bad for me.
I don’t think it’s smart to lock each other out. Dolby and DTS do best when they compete.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, but PCM might mess up the signal for NeuralX. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I thought of that after :) I would prefer to use the sound mode of choice on content of choice (and am used to such)....you might have a way there by having the source decode the Dolby...
Main thing is when I install my overhead speakers, it will matter to me. I’m hearing a lot of people here saying they use NeuralX on Dolby content instead of DSU to get the best overhead effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Main thing is when I install my overhead speakers, it will matter to me. I’m hearing a lot of people here saying they use NeuralX on Dolby content instead of DSU to get the best overhead effects.
I think NeuralX is more AGGRESSIVE than DSU. So we get "more bang for our buck".

For music, some people don't want that much aggressive sound, so they might prefer DSU for music.

But I still like that aggressive sound for music just like for movies. :D

We've mentioned this many times. But NeuralX has the fly-over, thunder, rain down extremely well.

So pretty much anytime you see any aircraft flying overhead or rain or thunder, NeuralX will send it to the Overhead speakers.

Background music will be heard overhead too. I love all those dance/night club scenes because the music will pretty much come from overhead. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think NeuralX is more AGGRESSIVE than DSU. So we get "more bang for our buck".

For music, some people don't want that much aggressive sound, so they might prefer DSU for music.

But I still like that aggressive sound for music just like for movies. :D

We've mentioned this many times. But NeuralX has the fly-over, thunder, rain down extremely well.

So pretty much anytime you see any aircraft flying overhead or rain or thunder, NeuralX will send it to the Overhead speakers.

Background music will be heard overhead too. I love all those dance/night club scenes because the music will pretty much come from overhead. :D
I was mostly thinking the ceiling speakers were for movies and TV but there’s a few concerts in Atmos on Blu-ray available.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And I've said this many times also -- probably the biggest thing with Atmos/DTSX/NeuralX/DSU is that you might have to increase those Speaker Levels. Some people complain that they can't HEAR the overhead sound loud enough -- kind of like the Center Dialogue volume.

So you might have to bump up the speaker levels for the ceiling speakers. That's why I said I wanted big ceiling speakers like the RBH SI-831R! It's not for timbre matching or anything like that. It's for pure power and volume, especially when you have a big room with 14FT ceiling. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was mostly thinking the ceiling speakers were for movies and TV but there’s a few concerts in Atmos on Blu-ray available.
The name of the game is fun and entertainment. So whatever puts a smile on our faces and fun in our hearts is a good thing. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
SLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW account. Even the smilies take like 20 seconds to load.

I'd like to converse with some of you guys, but this is ridiculous. I'm in another state on a notebook. There's no way the problem is on my side. If Gene didn't do this out of malice over disagreement over that subwoofer placement article, then it's one hell out a single person bug with one hell of a coincidental timing (that goes away the moment I log out and comes back the moment I log in).

I've had enough trying to respond to comments with these issues. I'll be at AVS if someone has any questions for me (MagnumX there).

First attempt to post I get: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."

Ridiculous.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW account. Even the smilies take like 20 seconds to load.

I'd like to converse with some of you guys, but this is ridiculous. I'm in another state on a notebook. There's no way the problem is on my side. If Gene didn't do this out of malice over disagreement over that subwoofer placement article, then it's one hell out a single person bug with one hell of a coincidental timing (that goes away the moment I log out and comes back the moment I log in).

I've had enough trying to respond to comments with these issues. I'll be at AVS if someone has any questions for me (MagnumX there).

First attempt to post I get: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."

Ridiculous.
Seems like a computer virus.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
@AcuDefTechGuy - Not on my side. 4 different computers and a phone with different browsers and operating systems? I don't think so. Either something is corrupt somewhere on the board or it's somehow intentionally slowed.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Even turning off Javascript doesn't help. Log out, though? Back to lightning fast. I'm even in a different part of the country. No difference as soon as I log in it's back to "waiting for forums audioholics.com" ........

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
I am doing my 7.2.4 setup and was going for either of the Denon receiver with 7 channel Outlaw Mono amp. My question is there a big difference going for 4500 over 3600 with external amplification for my LCR and surrounds. Trying to save some money where I can.
You know that Denon has bricked the AVR's and you may not be able to use Internet radio because vTuner site is an antique and no longer supports Denon so there is no way I can find to directly input stations to the AVR - totally sucks.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You know that Denon has bricked the AVR's and you may not be able to use Internet radio because vTuner site is an antique and no longer supports Denon so there is no way I can find to directly input stations to the AVR - totally sucks.
Denon did not brick the AVR, but apparently the onboard Internet radio stopper functioning. Which brings me to the point that I avoid depending on onboard streaming services in AVR, TV, BluRay player, whatnot, and just use an external media player (like Chromecast) instead, which generally will be updated in a timely fashion. And if the media player is not updated it's by far cheaper to replace that one than the AVR or TV.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
The name of the game is fun and entertainment. So whatever puts a smile on our faces and fun in our hearts is a good thing. :D
I can’t watch TV or a movie without surround
It’s very relaxing to watch a movie with a good sound track. Lord of the Rings comes to mind,
or try watching Mad Max Fury Road without surround.

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
Denon did not brick the AVR, but apparently the onboard Internet radio stopper functioning. Which brings me to the point that I avoid depending on onboard streaming services in AVR, TV, BluRay player, whatnot, and just use an external media player (like Chromecast) instead, which generally will be updated in a timely fashion. And if the media player is not updated it's by far cheaper to replace that one than the AVR or TV.
I believe you are mistaken. Denon did in fact stop playing with vTuner and please do tell us how to enter an internet address into the AVR without using this service.

Secondly, vTuner has also stopped sipporting multiple browsers as well. I use Firefox for example and it worked fine until Dennon dropped out and not it does not work at all. Try it yourself.

I certainly don't want to use something like Chromecast. I like streaming music 24/7 and not just a tune here and there. There are hundreds of free internet radio streams available for about any user or occasion.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I believe you are mistaken. Denon did in fact stop playing with vTuner and please do tell us how to enter an internet address into the AVR without using this service.

Secondly, vTuner has also stopped sipporting multiple browsers as well. I use Firefox for example and it worked fine until Dennon dropped out and not it does not work at all. Try it yourself.

I certainly don't want to use something like Chromecast. I like streaming music 24/7 and not just a tune here and there. There are hundreds of free internet radio streams available for about any user or occasion.
I believe you misunderstand what "bricks" means here, in that a "bricked" AVR would be totally non-functional due to a firmware issue of some kind (often in various electronic devices this may happen during firmware update).

In this case a streaming service stopped working in your Denon AVR, and as irritating that may be, the AVR is not bricked.

R

rbl

Audioholic Intern
I believe you misunderstand what "bricks" means here, in that a "bricked" AVR would be totally non-functional due to a firmware issue of some kind (often in various electronic devices this may happen during firmware update).

In this case a streaming service stopped working in your Denon AVR, and as irritating that may be, the AVR is not bricked.
We disagree because it is in fact bricked. A big function of the AVR is the ability to have Internet Radio which Denon has indeed screwed up.

To use your example if Denon mysteriously decides to kill some other function of your AVR because they decide it really isn't necessary any longer, it is still functional so you are good with that. That's what you said - and I disagree, sorry, that is not what you purchased.

The issue here is not one any of us can fix or has control over - only Denon. It was fine and then poof, all the smoke came out. I for one specifically purchased because of the zone 2 function and the ability to stream audio throughout my home 24/7 without the need to purchase a separate system, gadget or service.

Just a heads up for others.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis