R

rookie31

Audiophyte
A couple of friends and I are moving into a house next semester. We are trying to be the "party" house, so we want to get a good speaker setup. We listen to a lot of rap music, so we need something that can handle a lot of bass and make the house shake. I know very little about speakers and what makes a good speaker. Any info or recommendation would be awesome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably you don't have a great big budget so I'd think about maybe a pro style speaker/amp setup rather than typical home hifi, something like a dj might use....but what is the budget for specific suggestions?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I 2nd what HD said, maybe some CerwinVega?
paired with a Crown amp and a music Streamer? Check your Local pawn shops or Craigslist

R

rookie31

Audiophyte
Probably you don't have a great big budget so I'd think about maybe a pro style speaker/amp setup rather than typical home hifi, something like a dj might use....but what is the budget for specific suggestions?
I would say the most we’d pay is $1,500. When you say pro style speaker and home hifi, I have no idea what those are... I’m new to the speaker world and am trying to learn. So please give me all the basic info I need and all the recommendations you have.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would say the most we’d pay is $1,500. When you say pro style speaker and home hifi, I have no idea what those are... I’m new to the speaker world and am trying to learn. So please give me all the basic info I need and all the recommendations you have.
Pro systems tend to be a little more durable, higher power handling and SPL, maybe not as pretty, but good bang for buck. I'm not super well versed on pro audio, but some of the other guys here are. I imagine you can probably get a pretty decent party setup for $1500. Hitting the lowest frequencies might be the biggest challenge on that budget. I'm wondering if a pair of full range powered speakers might do the trick?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd concur with the idea of looking at pro gear... stuff dropped by a college band or dj... pawn shop, used, etc. Two mains, a sub, a mixer and an amp is all you'd need to get One-Time wrappin' on your door in No Time!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Home hifi gear is prettier like Pogre said, think nicer finishes to better fit in people's living rooms, pro being more utilitarian/industrial. That can matter even in a party house I suppose, too.

Pro speakers may be self powered (aka active speakers) to save you on dealing with a separate amp, too....altho depends what you might use for sources, maybe even a mixer might be in order. There are pro amps like QSC, Crown, Yamaha and some others if you want non-powered speakers (aka passive speakers). Here's a page of active/powered speakers from one of the stores that typically carry this if you have one near you (like Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=speakers+powered

For sources are you going to use optical disc players? Streaming devices? Turntables? And/or?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is not my suggestion, but something along these lines.

That's just to give you an idea of one pro audio solution. That particular pair are powered (active) too, meaning they have their own amplification so all you would need is a source. Those would get plenty loud. I'm not sure if they'd have the bass extension you want for rap music tho, but there are lots of other options out there.

If you don't get powered speakers (which are passive) then you're gonna need amplification too. Crown, QSC and Behringer seem to be the most recommended pro audio gear and JBL has some fantastic passive pro audio speakers too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Home hifi gear is prettier like Pogre said, think nicer finishes to better fit in people's living rooms, pro being more utilitarian/industrial. That can matter even in a party house I suppose, too.

Pro speakers may be self powered (aka active speakers) to save you on dealing with a separate amp, too....altho depends what you might use for sources, maybe even a mixer might be in order. There are pro amps like QSC, Crown, Yamaha and some others if you want non-powered speakers (aka passive speakers). Here's a page of active/powered speakers from one of the stores that typically carry this if you have one near you (like Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=speakers+powered

For sources are you going to use optical disc players? Streaming devices? Turntables? And/or?
Wow. We were typing the same thing at the same time. I was screwing around looking up pro audio gear and gave up. That's why it took me so long to get it posted, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow. We were typing the same thing at the same time. I was screwing around looking up pro audio gear and gave up. That's why it took me so long to get it posted, lol.
Then Ryan snuck in the mixer thing while I was typing :) Mixer and active might be a great way to go, especially for a sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW when I moved in with a best friend and we had a party house for a coupla years :) the safety of gear.....just somewhat an issue to consider let's say :) People will set a drink down on just about anything flat!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Then Ryan snuck in the mixer thing while I was typing :) Mixer and active might be a great way to go, especially for a sub?
Yeah, that'd be a good solution if he could squeeze in on budget. Need a little more input on where op stands with cosmetics. Not that pro audio gear is hideous or anything. Like you said the aesthetic is a little more on the utilitarian or industrial side, but still top notch gear and better built to handle a li'l bit of drunken volume abuse.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BIC AMERICA RTR-EV15 15-Inch 3-Way Eviction Series.
The eviction series knows and finds its target market!

Just because it has not been spelled out as such, pro-audio gear is the gear used professionally by musicians and the music industry (as well as theaters, stadiums, etc). Typical characteristics (as compared to home audio) is high volume levels, high durability, portability (lighter weight, but size is usually larger to assist the high volumes).
Especially, if you intend to use the system outside for block parties, go pro audio. If you will have the sound reinforcement of being inside a house, then a "pro-audio leaning" home audio speaker like the RTR recommended is probably your best value option. True pro-audio gear (aside from studio monitors) assumes the speakers will be used outside or in larger venues as opposed to in a smaller residential space.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
There is tons of used pro gear always for sale on FB market or craigslist. I have a hard time recommending it, for not wanting to add yet more to that pile.

The other thing, is more conservative advice, that might save someone from a headache from neighbors who's speakers are too loud. People that have to ask these questions, could possibly physically hurt themselves with pro gear.

We always strove to get someone else to host the party pad/flop house. Let them have the holes in the drywall and barfed on carpet and to deal with the cops.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
Go heavy $$ on your sub. Svs or hsu. Most on here will agree.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis