Subwoofer that I can feel?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
The two best recordings of that work with real cannons are: Telarc label with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra in both SACD and Cd formats and
Mercury label with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra with Bronze Cannon ( Douay, France (1775)
(Digitally remastered recording of 1959)
Ha! I have both of those as well. I also picked up a used copy of another Telarc version on DVD-A:
1582139146054.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just wanted to hear the cannons. I looked for the scene from "Master and Commander" @William Lemmerhirt was talking about too, but I don't think it's on YouTube.
Yeah it's not worth buying IMHO but interesting to experience. The scene from M&C I do have on dvd (which, IIRC is claimed to be the better soundtrack than the bluray release but I might be thinking something else).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can send you the scene if you like
Sure! That'd be cool actually. I think I found the scene a couple of times but none of them blew me away. I'm assuming the YouTube ones are all Blu Ray versions.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The two best recordings of that work with real cannons are: Telarc label with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra in both SACD and Cd formats and
Mercury label with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra with Bronze Cannon ( Douay, France (1775)
(Digitally remastered recording of 1959)
I have the Telarc Cincinnati Pops CD and the deepest playing speakers that I ever played it on are my Infinity Primus 363s. Would have liked to hear them on my old Large Advents but they were gone by the time cds came out. I remember reading about the LP version back in the day that would cause phono carts to jump out of the grooves.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Sure! That'd be cool actually. I think I found the scene a couple of times but none of them blew me away. I'm assuming the YouTube ones are all Blu Ray versions.
I'll send it when I get home later. It was in a package of demo materials I downloaded from AVS I believe. It's supposedly in 1080p, but it looks like upconverted DVD to me.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I found it on YouTube so I'm sure it wasn't the best quality available, but they were supposedly real cannons and my walls were really shaking!

Watch your volume when playing the video below! There are some stressful, speaker breaking dynamic peaks in this recording!

I have both the Mercury and the Telarc discs. With the Telarc SACD, there's actually a warning as follows:
"The cannons of the Telarc Digital "1812" are recorded at very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment"
The Mercury CD might also have to be played with caution. Actually, there is a high SPL with harmonic frequencies nearing 400-500 Hz and that could also damage some drivers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I really don't recommend the Telarc 1812 disc. It can do serious harm to your speakers.
It all depends on the equipment that you have. It's a damn good demonstration piece on an adequate system. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah the BD version is neutered at 30hz.

Totally stupid. I demoed the BD for my brother. He was like, yeah, weak. I was so pissed cause I used the dvd many times and it’s a whole different battle. The whole ch4 is a great surround demo overall. It’s crisp, clean and loud. You can probably run down to the local pawn shop and find about 40 copies at any given time lol. Definitely use the DVD only. Dts. You can see it goes down around 3-4hz.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah it's not worth buying IMHO but interesting to experience. The scene from M&C I do have on dvd (which, IIRC is claimed to be the better soundtrack than the bluray release but I might be thinking something else).
Yep. You’re thinking right. I posted a graph just above. You can see the heat maps. I hat that they neuter tracks like that. Like I need a fukkin cellphone mix...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have both the Mercury and the Telarc discs. With the Telarc SACD, there's actually a warning as follows:
"The cannons of the Telarc Digital "1812" are recorded at very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment"
The Mercury CD might also have to be played with caution. Actually, there is a high SPL with harmonic frequencies nearing 400-500 Hz and that could also damage some drivers.
There are a bunch of old discs with warnings like this, but they are more for an age where bass drivers were more fragile, like the acoustic suspension designs Audioholics just ran an article on. It isn't a concern anymore, especially with the kind of subs we have nowadays.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah the BD version is neutered at 30hz.

Totally stupid. I demoed the BD for my brother. He was like, yeah, weak. I was so pissed cause I used the dvd many times and it’s a whole different battle. The whole ch4 is a great surround demo overall. It’s crisp, clean and loud. You can probably run down to the local pawn shop and find about 40 copies at any given time lol. Definitely use the DVD only. Dts. You can see it goes down around 3-4hz.
Any other DVD examples like this? Might be worth finding some of these used DVDs. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any other DVD examples like this? Might be worth finding some of these used DVDs. :)
Oh yeah. I’m sure of it. Just can’t think of them off hand. Surprisingly some of the UHD releases with Atmos tracks are like that too. Wtf...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Oh yeah. I’m sure of it. Just can’t think of them off hand. Surprisingly some of the UHD releases with Atmos tracks are like that too. Wtf...
One I know has a ton of bass besides M & C is the DTS DVD of The Haunting.

Anyhow I was trying to find a list. I wouldn’t mind buying a few old DVDs for fun. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Would the servo function on the rythmik rob the output power of the sub, due to it trying to correct any anomalies the driver may produce, and overheat the voice coil?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Would the servo function on the rythmik rob the output power of the sub, due to it trying to correct any anomalies the driver may produce, and overheat the voice coil?
It shouldn't be a less efficient system, supposedly. As for overheating the voice coil, one problem with the servo technology is that it would try to compensate for thermal compression, and that isn't a good idea. If the system is being run so hard that thermal compression becomes significant, the thing to do is back down, not bring extra power to the bands that are most being affected. That increases risk to the voice coil. It kind of is robbing amp power as well, in that it is throwing a bunch of power in a frequency band that is losing sensitivity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember some saying the dvd of Cruise's War of the Worlds was better than the bluray. I've used both but never really compared carefully, but didn't notice anything overt.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
FWIW,
Getting away from "ten thousand dollar!" stereo systems, I have an old Altec Lansing computer stereo (2 + bass) with the bass/amplifier under my desk about 2 feet from my feet. I can really feel it! Try a sub right in front of your feet, , , , at least try.

I've replaced the bass speaker twice ('cause of the dust down there), thats how much I like it.

-c-

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis