lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Onkyo used to run even warmer than Denon's. Some of their current models still use linear power supplies like D&M's so if those still run much cooler, I would think it might be due to the difference in bias level. If so then my guess is that D&M's may be biased higher, and would stay in class A a little more, like up to 0.1 to 0.5 W. That would be a good thing for sound quality. Just an educated guess though..
Yeah I have one of the Onkyos that ran too warm, subject to the hdmi/network board problem, and after Onkyo repaired it it runs much cooler....I'd say a tad cooler than my Denons....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I have one of the Onkyos that ran too warm, subject to the hdmi/network board problem, and after Onkyo repaired it it runs much cooler....I'd say a tad cooler than my Denons....
They might have lowered the bias enough, just enough for it to operate in class AB, like most..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They might have lowered the bias enough, just enough for it to operate in class AB, like most..
I believe all they did was change out the hdmi/network board.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As far as features go, I prefer Denon's multi channel stereo mode to Onkyo's version for backround music. The Onkyo sounds like one of the other synthetic sounding DSP modes while all of the Denon units I've had put out a more natural sound. I miss the universal remote controls of certain Denon models. Did Denon ever bring back the "Same as surround" feature for the back surround speakers? I used it on 5.1 music so that it would not matrix sounds to the back but just duplicate the surround signals.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as features go, I prefer Denon's multi channel stereo mode to Onkyo's version for backround music. The Onkyo sounds like one of the other synthetic sounding DSP modes while all of the Denon units I've had put out a more natural sound. I miss the universal remote controls of certain Denon models. Did Denon ever bring back the "Same as surround" feature for the back surround speakers? I used it on 5.1 music so that it would not matrix sounds to the back but just duplicate the surround signals.
That's one mode I don't use, except maybe a party, but wouldn't expect any difference on between avrs....it's just 2ch spread to the surrounds and summed for the center.

Not sure what you mean by same as surround feature....my 4520 does automatically take DTS-HD and matrix it to the rear surrounds even if the source is 5.1 only. I can just use direct if I don't want that. Dolby TrueHD it just plays 5.1/7.1 as provided.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I would have thought the multi channel stereo feature would sound the same as well, but Denon has always done it better than any other line of receivers that I have tried it on. The same as surround feature I referenced was on older Denon receivers and could simply duplicate the surround channel signal to the back surrounds rather than matrix the signal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would have thought the multi channel stereo feature would sound the same as well, but Denon has always done it better than any other line of receivers that I have tried it on. The same as surround feature I referenced was on older Denon receivers and could simply duplicate the surround channel signal to the back surrounds rather than matrix the signal.
So you literally compared this feature with different brand avrs (and enough different models) with the same speakers in the same room to come to this conclusion? Hard to believe it's all that different.....

Ah, gotcha on the surround thing, my 3808 has that "feature" of using surround/rear surround speakers like that.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
So yes, I do believe for multi-zone audio the Onkyo provides more provided it is hard wired.
I have an Onkyo NR929 about 6-7 years old. I have two hardwired zones. They work fine, immediately after setup. My issue is controlling those zones. The Onkyo Remote app works when it works, but is generally a POS. The receiver also just loses net connectivity (although it is hardwired!) fairly frequently, requiring a reset and re-SETUP every effing time.
I'm more than ready to throw the 929 in a dumpster, but what is an alternative receiver that runs the two zones but MAKES CONTROL OF THOSE ZONES EASY AND RELIABLE?

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
*Warning* - rant . GD I hate this audio sht! Between Onkyo and Plex nothing works like it's supposed to. I effing spend as much time effing around with sht as listening. Listening's become an experience of trepidation, because what's going to effing fail next. FTS.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
Yep, had to clear and reset the 929 and do the entire setup up again. I got it down to about 15 minutes now but still. It's like every 4-6 weeks. I think instead of a dumpster I'm gonna take it out in the desert and fill it with 9mm holes.
So a replacement brand? I just want want to be able to control the zones from those zones.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I was burned by the Onkyo HDMI issue of past and probably unfairly look down on them now. Maybe they have made big corrections to their reliability. and frankly maybe HDMIs always go out eventually. Not sure on Denon/Marantz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was burned by the Onkyo HDMI issue of past and probably unfairly look down on them now. Maybe they have made big corrections to their reliability. and frankly maybe HDMIs always go out eventually. Not sure on Denon/Marantz
Onkyo had a specific hdmi/network board issue (with 2009-12 models particularly) I don't think has been something other than their own suffering. HDMI isn't the best but I've got HDMI equipped Onkyo and Denon avrs of many years of use, too.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
Fck this audio industrial complex, selling sht that doesn't work as advertised, just pushing sht out and fck the consumer make money. Hate.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis