J

jcsantana

Enthusiast
Hello!
I am updating an old DTS / Dolby Digital Techniques system, so I can include new sound features. I saw an Audioholics youtube video suggesting always to explore previous models, as features don't change drastically fron a model to the other, and you can save some money. With that in mind, I've been reading lots of info about the Onkyo TX-RZ820 (399.00) and the Denon AVR-X3500H (549.00) Audioholics made a video on the Denon AVR-X3600H, but I really don't need as manny channels. Since both Onkyo and Denon have mainly the same strengths but one is cheaper, please make some comments so I can make a good decision, as I am not that techno....

THANKS!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's mostly a matter of making sure the features/connectivity suit your purposes/plans with an amp section that is sufficient at a price you like. Waiting til older models close-out is a good way to save money, tho. Personally I'd go for the Denon due better REQ/sub eq software, but if that isn't something you'd value, then the Onkyo to save money sounds good.

J

jcsantana

Enthusiast
Thanks!
My main interest is about the preamp features. I have 3 Technics power amps (SE-A1010) in perfect shape, so I want to keep them with a preamp with updated technologies. I bought them in clearance about 18 or 20 years ago and have none complaints. I've seen them on ebay in more than 1k....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!
My main interest is about the preamp features. I have 3 Technics power amps (SE-A1010) in perfect shape, so I want to keep them with a preamp with updated technologies. I bought them in clearance about 18 or 20 years ago and have none complaints. I've seen them on ebay in more than 1k....
Both avrs have a full set of pre-outs....

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I stream Tidal and have multiple Hardwired zones. These features give Onkyo an edge. If you are looking to expand wirelessly to other rooms, the Denon H series (Heos) would be a better choice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think most people would steer clear from Onkyo for reliability.

So if it's between Denon vs Onkyo, then it's Denon.

I go with Yamaha. :cool:

F

felipe

Audioholic
If your main interest is in preamp features, I would go with the Denon. If memory serves me correct, Denons generally have better and stronger preamp outs...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I stream Tidal and have multiple Hardwired zones. These features give Onkyo an edge. If you are looking to expand wirelessly to other rooms, the Denon H series (Heos) would be a better choice.
How do those features give Onkyo an edge? Tidal isn't much to go for unless you like wonky lossy codecs between you and your streamed file....

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
How do those features give Onkyo an edge? Tidal isn't much to go for unless you like wonky lossy codecs between you and your streamed file....
Where are you getting that information? The Onkyo is ready to stream Tidal Masters out of the box. Also if you have hardwired multi-zone the Onkyo typically has dedicated Powered Zones where Denon seems to have shifted their attention toward their Heos wireless multi-Zone offerings.

Not saying one is better than the other (hardwired ba Heos), but my builder pre-wired my house to accommodate additional audio zones. The Integra (Onkyo) met my needs better in my case.

I’m not sure I would agree that one brand is better than the other. Both are made on assembly lines in China. But depending on how you intend to achieve multi-room audio, Onkyo and Denon differ very greatly in their approach.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic

I believe the gap has narrowed significantly lately. My friend has a Denon 8500 and he loved it, but has had to exchange it twice. My Integra I have had for 3 years with no issues. Onkyo’s newer products are much more dependable than in the past. Either that or I just got lucky...

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic

What about Yamaha do you like better? I have heard a lot of people prefer Yamaha, but not many explainations as to why. Do you utilize their Music Cast at all?

I realize this is off topic but am curious.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where are you getting that information? The Onkyo is ready to stream Tidal Masters out of the box. Also if you have hardwired multi-zone the Onkyo typically has dedicated Powered Zones where Denon seems to have shifted their attention toward their Heos wireless multi-Zone offerings.

Not saying one is better than the other (hardwired ba Heos), but my builder pre-wired my house to accommodate additional audio zones. The Integra (Onkyo) met my needs better in my case.

I’m not sure I would agree that one brand is better than the other. Both are made on assembly lines in China. But depending on how you intend to achieve multi-room audio, Onkyo and Denon differ very greatly in their approach.
What information? So you're saying the Onkyo has the mqa decoding ability whereas the Denon doesn't? That could be a difference if you want to use Tidal I suppose. I think Denon has the same zone capabilities in general, but if you want wireless Heos has an advantage for that set of components over Onkyo I'd think.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
What information? So you're saying the Onkyo has the mqa decoding ability whereas the Denon doesn't? That could be a difference if you want to use Tidal I suppose. I think Denon has the same zone capabilities in general, but if you want wireless Heos has an advantage for that set of components over Onkyo I'd think.
With the Denon, you could use 2 of your surround channels for a Zone 2 yes, but can that channel play a different source at the same time as the main source? The Onkyo does. Even if it will, you are sacrificing one set of surround speaker outputs.

So yes, I do believe for multi-zone audio the Onkyo provides more provided it is hard wired.

All that said, I’m not sure the $150 would be worth it even with all things equal, I would save the money and get the Onkyo if I were the OP.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With the Denon, you could use 2 of your surround channels for a Zone 2 yes, but can that channel play a different source at the same time as the main source? The Onkyo does. Even if it will, you are sacrificing one set of surround speaker outputs.

So yes, I do believe for multi-zone audio the Onkyo provides more provided it is hard wired.

All that said, I’m not sure the $150 would be worth it even with all things equal, I would save the money and get the Onkyo if I were the OP.
My older Denons can do that for zone 2....would think the 3500 can, too. The 3500 doesn't have the choice of a line out or pre-out mode for zone 2/3 like the 820 (altho I can't think of a reason why I'd want a line out for a zone). I'd definitely rank the separate handling of two subs as well as XT32 a step up over the feature set of the Onkyo, tho that could be of limited value to a purchaser. Not much of an advantage in zones that I see....

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I looked real hard at that Onkyo RZ-820 AVR, 399.00 with a 3 year warranty is very nice. Unit is loaded

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about Yamaha do you like better? I have heard a lot of people prefer Yamaha, but not many explainations as to why. Do you utilize their Music Cast at all?

I realize this is off topic but am curious.
Yamaha Might have better reliability and compatibility. Everything (I don't use room correction EQ) works better for me. Yes I use MusicCast all the time.

But that's just me. Perhaps Denon works better for others.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
I use and enjoy my Onkyo, and find that the newer ones run notably cooler than Denon if that matters to you. Overall though they're both solid units.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoyed all of my Denon units over the years and decided to try an Onkyo AVR on this last go around. I gave up some features and picked up a few others. I have also noticed that it runs much cooler than my Denon AVRs. I run 4 ohm speakers at higher levels most of the time and the Onkyo hardly gets warm to the touch. All of the Denons ran very warm to hot but did not have issues. It is something to think about if the unit will be in tight quarters with poor airflow. That would be an issue with any unit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I enjoyed all of my Denon units over the years and decided to try an Onkyo AVR on this last go around. I gave up some features and picked up a few others. I have also noticed that it runs much cooler than my Denon AVRs. I run 4 ohm speakers at higher levels most of the time and the Onkyo hardly gets warm to the touch. All of the Denons ran very warm to hot but did not have issues. It is something to think about if the unit will be in tight quarters with poor airflow. That would be an issue with any unit.
Then again it's very easy to add a fan to the mix to keep the avr running cooler, particularly in tight spaces where some tend to stick their avr.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Onkyo used to run even warmer than Denon's. Some of their current models still use linear power supplies like D&M's so if those still run much cooler, I would think it might be due to the difference in bias level. If so then my guess is that D&M's may be biased higher, and would stay in class A a little more, like up to 0.1 to 0.5 W. That would be a good thing for sound quality. Just an educated guess though..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis