Upgrade speakers vs adding a sub

I

illinest

Audiophyte
I am wondering if it's worthwhile to upgrade my left and right main speakers or if I should wait until I can afford a sub.

So my setup is like this: Receiver is a Denon AVR X1500 running to Dayton B652 Airs with a C452 Air center channel. I also connected some old Optimus speakers that were destined for the trashcan but I figured they'd make okay surround speakers. So it's a 5 channel surround w/ no sub.

So I was planning to save up 500$ or so for a sub but today I went down a bit of a rabbit hole with tower speakers and I'm wondering if Id get a noticeable improvement from a speaker upgrade.

I'm not exactly unhappy with what I've got but I feel like it does a lot better for movie watching than it does for music. I figured a sub would solve my problems but then I don't want to get a kick-ass sub and discover that my little Daytons are still dragging me down.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even if you get towers a sub could well be in order, depending on how low you want to reproduce....many towers are not all that capable of very low frequencies. I don't think owning a kick ass sub would be anything but a plus either way. Some kick ass subs cost more than $500, tho :). Having good left/rights are important, too. The B652 are decent for their cost, but.....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not exactly unhappy with what I've got but I feel like it does a lot better for movie watching than it does for music. I figured a sub would solve my problems but then I don't want to get a kick-ass sub and discover that my little Daytons are still dragging me down.
Illnest

I am a big proponent of truly upgrading if you're going to take the plunge. What that means is when you step from one generation of equipment to the next its a real, audible, "oh wow", upgrade. No doubt about it you upgraded.
Far too many posters come here and complain about their latest purchase because it really isn't any better than what they had, or, it has some new side effect they also don't care fore.

So, to truly upgrade your system you need to understand what it is you don't like or find a shortfall in your current system. "Not exactly unhappy" with your current system leaves you wide open for disappointment if you just spend a few hundred bucks on "something else". What will most likely happen is you will once again be "not exactly happy" either.

Some critical listening is in order. What is it you don't like, or , would like your system to do better? Find the shortcoming and know what it is. Then you can pursue new stuff that truly tops it. And truly topping an existing system can cost a lot more than you might guess. But when you're done, you've gone a real upgrade.

There is no lack of opinion here on the AH. We will spend all the money you have and them some. No sweat.
But, knowing what you're trying to fix is pretty key. Then finding out if your new ideas are truly "better" is the next step.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Keep the speakers...for now...get a sub. SVS , HSU or Rythmik.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Buck nailed it. You gotta understand what you want to address. It's too easy to just throw money at this hobby and not get a good result.

That said, adding a sub to your system is the first logical step since you don't have one, and it can make a significant improvement on how even a budget system can sound for both Music and HT.

If you choose to go for a sub, buy smart and get one to use as a cornerstone for years to come. Depending on your room size and needs, the best bang for your buck is probably the Hsu VTF2.
There are other Internet Direct companies that specialize in high quality Subs, but the price can rise fast. That VTF2 is both Budget Friendly AND Quality!

I

illinest

Audiophyte
Even if you get towers a sub could well be in order, depending on how low you want to reproduce....many towers are not all that capable of very low frequencies. I don't think owning a kick ass sub would be anything but a plus either way. Some kick ass subs cost more than $500, tho :). Having good left/rights are important, too. The B652 are decent for their cost, but.....

Responding to everyone here...

The B652s were definitely selected by price-point. I am not attached to them and I will definitely get a sub. I've had this link bookmarked for a while now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/7q5jmw
We had just moved into our new house and I endured a wife-fight to buy the basics of my system but I didn't have the will to push for a sub as well. I've been tempted many times by the idea of the 99$ Polk but I'm still holding strong.

I want my music to thump more.

I'm not dissatisfied with the way movies sound. I like to put on The Neverending Story and enjoy the rock crusher noises, and the thundercrack at the beginning of Avengers Endgame is satisfying enough for me. But when I play rock music I feel like I want more everything. My only point of reference is my car stereo which I've put a bit of work into. My car stereo has some very present-sounding Rainbow silk dome tweeters but it also only has a single ten-inch type E sub that I was convinced would be enough for me when I was young and dumb.

I NEED a sub but I also suspect that I'll eventually want something a little more hi-fi sounding than I'm getting from these Daytons. I'm not going to ever be in the market for expensive gear but I'll take the hit on the subwoofer. I've learned that lesson.

But I have little basis for comparison on the towers. I was reading this review

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/mp-t65rt

and wondering if 140$ would settle me or if it's like thinking the 10" sub would be good enough all over again.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audioholics reviewed some of the Dayton Air speakers... they were OK for $40/pair. I think it a bit incommensurate to spend $500 to go along with speakers like that.

If I were you, I would upgrade to maybe Dayton MK402X speakers, or, if you tends to listen at a single height, some MK442 speakers. For subs, I would get a pair of Dayton SUB1200. Such a system would be a lot of fun and cost less than $500.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
When I posted earlier about the Hsu VTF2, it was under the possibility that OP's upgrade path was leading to a higher end system. If OP stays in a more budget friendly category, I agree that the Dayton Sub1200 would be a good place to go.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone here have any experience with Dayton Audio subs? The 12 inch goes for 148 rated down to 25 Hz but the 10 goes for 119 rated down to 30Hz. Looks like a good fit for a small listening area.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Randomly...

I

illinest

Audiophyte
If you're trying to direct me toward gear that fits a budget then you're succeeding.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another for the sub1500. However a pair of sub1200’s might be better. Seems I remember they’re almost as good. @KEW was that you sharing that info?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another for the sub1500. However a pair of sub1200’s might be better. Seems I remember they’re almost as good. @KEW was that you sharing that info?
Yes, based on Brent Butterworth's measurements and review:
The Dayton Audio SUB-1500 is a nice subwoofer that doesn’t really perform significantly better than the less-expensive SUB-1200.

Here is his chart of measurements:

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
If you're trying to direct me toward gear that fits a budget then you're succeeding.
IMHO save up for a higher quality sub from HSU , SVS & Rythmik. Dayton makes great budget subs, however, don't expect much for $200.

I started my quest with a Dayton sub1200
and I was happy...for a little bit. I added a 2nd one later on. I still wasn't that content. My coworker invited me over to check out his SVS PB1000 and I was blown away. I have never experienced a sub that could produce infrasonic frequencies ( >20hz) the next day I sold both my sub1200s on Craigslist. I bought a PB12-NSD and was extremely impressed and very happy. A couple months later on I was invited to a GTG with some co-workers and I was lucky enough to experience a Rythmik FV15HP & HSU vtf 15h mk2 & PSA V1510. All the subs were amazing! They could all produce amazing LFE. One thing I did notice on the PSA was the mid-bass...it's was an addiction for me. So here are some pictures of my journey.

P.S. my bro in-law bought a Sub1500 from parts express and after about 3 months the Amp failed. Parts express said they will send a replacement sub free of charge...but YOU are responsible for shipping back the warranty sub...cost of shipping is more than half the cost of the sub! They would not ship a replacement plate Amp... Ridiculous!

So I found a used Sub800 on offer up for $20. I took it apart and the Amps are the same! ( I wasn't surprised)

My bro in-law sold his sub1500 for $150 the next day.

Good luck on your journey...it's a rabbit hole.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMHO save up for a higher quality sub from HSU , SVS & Rythmik. Dayton makes great budget subs, however, don't expect much for $200.

I started my quest with a Dayton sub1200
and I was happy...for a little bit. I added a 2nd one later on. I still wasn't that content. My coworker invited me over to check out his SVS PB1000 and I was blown away. I have never experienced a sub that could produce infrasonic frequencies ( >20hz) the next day I sold both my sub1200s on Craigslist. I bought a PB12-NSD and was extremely impressed and very happy. A couple months later on I was invited to a GTG with some co-workers and I was lucky enough to experience a Rythmik FV15HP & HSU vtf 15h mk2 & PSA V1510. All the subs were amazing! They could all produce amazing LFE. One thing I did notice on the PSA was the mid-bass...it's was an addiction for me. So here are some pictures of my journey.

P.S. my bro in-law bought a Sub1500 from parts express and after about 3 months the Amp failed. Parts express said they will send a replacement sub free of charge...but YOU are responsible for shipping back the warranty sub...cost of shipping is more than half the cost of the sub! They would not ship a replacement plate Amp... Ridiculous!

So I found a used Sub800 on offer up for $20. I took it apart and the Amps are the same! ( I wasn't surprised)

My bro in-law sold his sub1500 for $150 the next day.

Good luck on your journey...it's a rabbit hole.
Lots of good stuff here.
Btw, is that your little one kneeling by the books? It’s been a long time since my kids were that size. Brings me back.

I

illinest

Audiophyte
Does anyone recognize this?

The number he listed doesn't appear to match anything so I'm wondering if it's maybe a Klipsch that he typoed?

Cheap and local, but is it just a boomy crap-box?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis