Google Told Him to Do It!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
A Darwin Award for a guy who suffered only mild hypothermia because he followed google maps directions? It was 3 am. Was he drunk? For a Darwin Award, the consequences of the nominee's stupidity have to be more consequential. Natural selection requires that.

That StarTribune report did get this part right:
"Don't trust the internet for everything."​

It may seem crueler, but I nominate this for a Darwin Award:
The 3rd article from CBS News says:
… screenshots from an anti-vax Facebook group called "Stop Mandatory Vaccination" are circulating online, and they appear to show that the week before Najee died, his mother sought advice on how to treat her sons' illness. Members of the group advised giving the boys vitamins, botanicals, and fruits and vegetables rather than the Tamiflu that their doctor prescribed.​
In the thread, which has now apparently been scrubbed from the group's Facebook page, the mom wrote, "The doc prescribed tamaflu [sic] I did not pick it up." One user advises, "You're better off taking Vitamin D and C, Elderberry, Zinc, and eating lots of fruits and vegetables."​
"Ok perfect I'll try that," she responds. …​
Later in the conversation, which can still be viewed in screenshots published by the Colorado Times Recorder, the panicked mother notes that she has been using the elderberry, peppermint oil and Vitamin C that the group members recommended, but her sons' fevers are still not breaking.​
"Any other tips I'm terrified for another seizure," she writes. "Please no hard comments I am a momma freaking out all alone in this with a family who believes in none [but] natural ways so I'm going through alone and they are making me feel bad for not putting him on Tamiflu."​
"Boil thyme on the stove," a group member chimes in. "Vit C until diarrhea."​

It's not clear if the 4-year old boy had been vaccinated, but I doubt it.
"The child had not been diagnosed yet, but he was running a fever and had a seizure, the mother wrote. She added that two of her four children had been diagnosed with the flu and that the doctor had prescribed the antiviral Tamiflu for everyone in the household."​

I'd like it if medical organizations in the USA marched on Facebook – with pitchforks & torches. They should demand that FB immediately cease permitting reckless & irresponsible posts as if they were reasonable medical advice. FB's shut down would be the ultimate Darwin Award.
I know someone currently with 2 sick kids, she posted the article stating she would refuse Tamiflu. Shes using tylenol and motrin for fever and worst case will be antibiotics. I dont understand people. Antibiotics will have no effect on the flu. She just saw what can happen when trying to home rememedy and ignore doctors. If that's not bad enough, her friends chimed in saying they would also refuse Tamiflu.

"This is so beyond frustrating that the fake news shows something like this as a story. Logan just tested positive for the flu on Monday and his doctor tried to use this story to guilt trip me into using Tamilfu!!! I told the doctor that I know from working in a pharmacy that most pharmacists don't recommend Tamiflu. I also know that the reason children die from the flu is bc when parents cant keep their fever down or the child isn't breathing correctly, parents should be taking them to the hospital. It's the ones who don't do this, when these signs are happening, that the children die"

I wish I was making this up.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know from working in a pharmacy that most pharmacists don't recommend Tamiflu.
I know @AcuDefTechGuy tends to stay out of these sorts of discussions, but I'd like to hear his opinion on this one.

Why would a Doctor recommend something a Pharmacist wouldn't?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I know @AcuDefTechGuy tends to stay out of these sorts of discussions, but I'd like to hear his opinion on this one. Why would a Doctor recommend something a Pharmacist wouldn't
In the state I live in, Pharmacists cannot prescribe medications. They are licensed to fill prescriptions, but prescribing them requires an MD, DO, or dental degree, and a state-granted license to practice.

ADTG earns a living as a licensed Pharmacist. Or is he a Pharmacologist? I don't remember. He wisely avoids comments online that might be mistaken as medical or pharmaceutical advice. Physicians do the same. They can avoid unwanted lawsuits, a genuine problem.
Unfortunately that mother now knows of a more serious side effect of not taking Tamiflu. Wonder what the survival rate of taking Tamiflu is...
Tamiflu (generic name Oseltamivir) is an anti-viral medication that is somewhat effective against influenza A or B. Because it is somewhat effective and because it comes with some risk of side effects, many medical organizations recommend it in people who have complications or are at high risk of complications within 48 hours of first symptoms of infection. They recommend it to prevent infection in those at high risk, but not the general population. I strongly doubt that it kills patients who take it – it would never have received FDA approval. Read about it here.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
In the state I live in, Pharmacists cannot prescribe medications. They are licensed to fill prescriptions, but prescribing them requires an MD, DO, or dental degree, and a state-granted license to practice.
This isn't especially on topic, but this is AH... in the last two states I've lived in Physician's Assistants can prescribe medications too. And the prescription has their name on it, not the name of supervising physician.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't especially on topic, but this AH... in the last two states I've lived in Physician's Assistants can prescribe medications too. And the prescription has their name on it, not the name of supervising physician.
IIRC Nurse Practitioners can as well.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
ADTG earns a living as a licensed Pharmacist. Or is he a Pharmacologist? I don't remember. He wisely avoids comments online that might be mistaken as medical or pharmaceutical advice. Physicians do the same. They can avoid unwanted lawsuits, a genuine problem.
Good point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The problem is PEOPLE HAVE NO FUKKIN COMMON SENSE anymore. Can’t spell, can’t read, can’t problem solve, can’t think for themselves. NO comprendo.
I definitely use the internet as a resource, but I almost always try to use my brain [cell] first.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't especially on topic, but this is AH... in the last two states I've lived in Physician's Assistants can prescribe medications too. And the prescription has their name on it, not the name of supervising physician.
You are correct Irv. Thanks for pointing that out.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The problem is PEOPLE HAVE NO FUKKIN COMMON SENSE anymore. Can’t spell, can’t read, can’t problem solve, can’t think for themselves. NO comprendo.
I definitely use the internet as a resource, but I almost always try to use my brain [cell] first.
Perhaps the internet really makes people dumber.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps the internet really makes people dumber.
Ya know... I kinda think so. I think many times people go to googletron for an answer, but they have no retention of it since it was so easy to get(if it was even correct lol). Then they start spout crap, or “reciting” a regurgitated version of blah blah blah, and boom. Follow google maps into a river!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ya know... I kinda think so. I think many times people go to googletron for an answer, but they have no retention of it since it was so easy to get(if it was even correct lol). Then they start spout crap, or “reciting” a regurgitated version of blah blah blah, and boom. Follow google maps into a river!
Those GPS's are not 100% reliable. I have a Garmin product and I cannot entirely rely on it when I travel. I wonder if that tracktor trailer driver was also using a Garmin GPS.
In any case, I think he could deserve a Darwin award for his stupidity.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know @AcuDefTechGuy tends to stay out of these sorts of discussions, but I'd like to hear his opinion on this one.

Why would a Doctor recommend something a Pharmacist wouldn't?
Our hospital use Tamiflu all the time during flu season. So I am all for it. I would use it personally.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I know someone currently with 2 sick kids, she posted the article stating she would refuse Tamiflu. Shes using tylenol and motrin for fever and worst case will be antibiotics. I dont understand people. Antibiotics will have no effect on the flu. She just saw what can happen when trying to home rememedy and ignore doctors. If that's not bad enough, her friends chimed in saying they would also refuse Tamiflu.

"This is so beyond frustrating that the fake news shows something like this as a story. Logan just tested positive for the flu on Monday and his doctor tried to use this story to guilt trip me into using Tamilfu!!! I told the doctor that I know from working in a pharmacy that most pharmacists don't recommend Tamiflu. I also know that the reason children die from the flu is bc when parents cant keep their fever down or the child isn't breathing correctly, parents should be taking them to the hospital. It's the ones who don't do this, when these signs are happening, that the children die"

I wish I was making this up.
Herd thinning may be beneficial? ;)

Last edited:
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Those GPS's are not 100% reliable. I have a Garmin product and I cannot entirely rely on it when I travel. I wonder if that tracktor trailer driver was also using a Garmin GPS.
In any case, I think he could deserve a Darwin award for his stupidity.
Not 100% reliable? You mean that time when the road was closed in rural Minnesota for construction, the alternate route that had me on a road that really wasn't a road and crossing a lake with no bridge wasn't an one-time issue? Lost a half hour trying to figure out a detour since...you know marking one was too much work.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I figured as much. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Personally, I don't know of a single pharmacist who is AGAINST using Tamiflu.

Probably the biggest thing with Tamiflu for most pharmacists is that the dose needs to be reduced for renal impairment.

#1 adverse reactions include Headache, Body Pain, and Vomiting. But guess what kind of symptoms you ALREADY have when you have the FLU, especially a bad one? :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis