Definitive Technology Big Bad Ass Demand Towers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yep Definitive Technology just upped the ante by releasing 2 towers to their Demand series with some impressive technologies.

"Definitive Technology introduced the Demand Series in 2017 with three bookshelf speakers, which were warmly received in the market for their graceful design and highly accurate reproduction. Since then, we’ve been busy designing two new tower speakers and a center channel built on the principles of the original Demand Series bookshelf speakers. We maintained the same level of craftsmanship and material quality in designing and developing the line. Listeners will see familiar technologies, including the 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens, BDSS, and Linear Response Waveguide. However we also added newly designed dual carbon fiber bass drivers and dual side-firing passive radiators to the towers, which deliver some of the smoothest, most accurate and rich reproduction of any tower on the market in its price range. The center channel is the perfect addition to the line for home theater aficionados."

— Michael Greco, category director of Loudspeakers at Sound United

demand.jpg

Read: Definitive Technology Demand Series Towers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... though the link isn't live yet...
I will reserve my smart@ssed comment after reading their online spiel. For now, I give them a "Flying Rainbow of Hope:"
For not having Built-In Amps
For not having Built-In "Subwoofers"
And for having a listed F3 that actually looks believable.

Oh ya... and $2300 a pop for the Flagship Tower?!!! What the Flaming FiretrUCK?

That's Big Boy Pricing from them, Fo-Sho!.

Did they really grow up from the kid that always told Big Stories and lies?

Can they really compete in that weight Class?

I'm staying tuned. :D
And for now, keeping an open mind. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not enough information but looks like no built-in subs and monopole design (not bipole).

This isn’t like the older Def Tech models.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Not enough information but looks like no built-in subs and monopole design (not bipole).

This isn’t like the older Def Tech models.
Just as long as they don't claim a frequency response extension of 18hz down low :rolleyes:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm intrigued! I'll freely admit my distaste for their speakers. The two times I heard them (BP90X0s) were pretty sad. (Though they sounded better than the B&W 600 series towers!)

Those two brands confound me.

I digress.

I can't help but feel these are overpriced for what they will be. But the specs strike me as believable. An F3 of 42 Hz from a 6.5" woofer in a tower cabinet is completely realistic. They list total FR extension to 38Hz, which, considering the steep fall off of PRs, also sounds plausible.

The proof will be in the pudding, though, and when we see some good 3rd party testing we will know for certain.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm intrigued! I'll freely admit my distaste for their speakers. The two times I heard them (BP90X0s) were pretty sad. (Though they sounded better than the B&W 600 series towers!)

I digress.

I can't help but feel these are overpriced for what they will be. But the specs strike me as believable. An F3 of 42 Hz from a 6.5" woofer in a tower cabinet is completely realistic. They list total FR extension to 38Hz, which, considering the steep fall off of PRs, also sounds plausible.

The proof will be in the pudding, though, and when we see some good 3rd party testing we will know for certain.
I've had mixed feelings about DT for a long time. I was a fan of their Studio Monitor line. The SM65 is a legit good speaker. Their bipole towers and powered bass sections tho? Not so much.

These do appear to be monopole speakers sans the powered bass sections. I'm with you on reserving judgement but these might actually be good.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I've had mixed feelings about DT for a long time. I was a fan of their Studio Monitor line. The SM65 is a legit good speaker. Their bipole towers and powered bass sections tho? Not so much.

These do appear to be monopole speakers sans the powered bass sections. I'm with you on reserving judgement but these might actually be good.
Yeah - similar here. Back in the '90s, their BP towers were THE high-end home theater speakers (at least they were at the only AV shoppe of merit in El Paso) but even at the time I felt the powered sections were "bass enhancers" rather than "subwoofers" (same for their dedicated subwoofers, unfortunately). I also thought the Mythos STS was pretty bad ass - for home theater.

That being said, the Demand line has been getting some really favorable reviews and I think they look pretty cool. I am curious to see (hear) how the new towers measures and performs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah - similar here. Back in the '90s, their BP towers were THE high-end home theater speakers (at least they were at the only AV shoppe of merit in El Paso) but even at the time I felt the powered sections were "bass enhancers" rather than "subwoofers" (same for their dedicated subwoofers, unfortunately). I also thought the Mythos STS was pretty bad ass - for home theater.

That being said, the Demand line has been getting some really favorable reviews and I think they look pretty cool. I am curious to see (hear) how the new towers measures and performs.
I like the concept of their BDSS design with the midrange. At least on paper. I have no clue if it actually adds or detracts but the principle seems sound to me. A second surround to help maintain linearity makes sense, tho I have no idea if there might be any unwanted other effects such a design may or may not cause.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like the concept of their BDSS design with the midrange. At least on paper. I have no clue if it actually adds or detracts but the principle seems sound to me. A second surround to help maintain linearity makes sense, tho I have no idea if there might be any unwanted other effects such a design may or may not cause.
Yeah they are intriguing. But I'm wondering about there price point. At that price for the flagship towers there going up against products like the new JBL HDI 3800's or JTR's Noesis 210RT 2 of my top interests and also serious competition at that price point among other brands as well. Interesting to see what these offer against some of these other options

J

jameshtx

Enthusiast

I digress.

I have the 9080x towers and the matching 9080 center. I’m really happy with it n I think it sounds amazing. Maybe bc of my speaker placement or how it’s hooked up. I’m not a audio profession so my opinion probably won’t matter to you guys. I’d certainly recommend it to any of my friends or family for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have the 9080x towers and the matching 9080 center. I’m really happy with it n I think it sounds amazing. Maybe bc of my speaker placement or how it’s hooked up. I’m not a audio profession so my opinion probably won’t matter to you guys. I’d certainly recommend it to any of my friends or family for sure.

Everybody's opinions matter bro if you love it it's more then good enough

FYI I used to pick up Def Tech towers on the cheap from Craigslist when starting out. I definetly enjoyed. They throw out a huge soundstage like no other

I just missed some of the imaging you get from more traditional speaker design

Every design has tradeoffs and that's the one bipole speakers give up is imaging but they are fun speakers

FYI a lot of us don't dislike def Tech speakers they just have a habit of fudging there speaker specs especially in bass extension which is kind off a big turn off. That doesn't make them bad speakers there's other companies that'll do it too

I bet your speakers sound badass I've always been curious about that particular line

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Curious what do you have for subs even with the built in powered woofers those have they will benefit from some very good quality subs there powered woofers don't really extend as low as you think .

Combine them with some badass subs and I guarantee you enjoy them even more

J

jameshtx

Enthusiast
Curious what do you have for subs even with the built in powered woofers those have they will benefit from some very good quality subs there powered woofers don't really extend as low as you think .

Combine them with some badass subs and I guarantee you enjoy them even more
I have two dedicated Svs pb2000s. Even though the Def Tech towers has powered subs, its not the same as having true subs for bass. I wish I had the pb3000s but wasn't available on the market at the time. I have no complaints on the pb2000s. Are they one of the companies that fudges their specs too?

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I have two dedicated Svs pb2000s. Even though the Def Tech towers has powered subs, its not the same as having true subs for bass. I wish I had the pb3000s but wasn't available on the market at the time. I have no complaints on the pb2000s. Are they one of the companies that fudges their specs too?
nah you don’t need to worry about SVS. They, Rhythmik, Hsu, outlaw all held in high regard. If u look at the audioholics reviews you’ll see they all perform at or close to spec.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
nah you don’t need to worry about SVS. They, Rhythmik, Hsu, outlaw all held in high regard. If u look at the audioholics reviews you’ll see they all perform at or close to spec.
Agreed. SVS, the ones you mention and a few others are good, to even conservative with their specs. There are still some good guys out there!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis