Are there better speakers than the SVS Ultra Towers for similar price?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre
Any input about the ultras?
I've been doing more critical listening and comparing between all my speakers. My towers throw a huge soundstage and have far better midrange/mid bass than any of my bookshelf speakers. I actually thought of you when I started realizing there is a noticeable difference!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My only point is/was that 20 Hz isn't reached without that type of reinforcement and Legacy's own literature says "dual subwoofers with internal amplification" so I stand by my statement that they're subs I do agree about DT and GE though... very 'optimistic' specs there.

I'm also being pretty literal and agree with you that separate subs are different animals and typically the much better tool for the job.
I'd think of such a speaker as not having "subs" but rather simply being full range (20Hz-20kHz), but few really do that well. Especially as the volume goes up. The speaker companies that need to call them "subs" is kinda weird really.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
As long as the bass is not critical (you will use subs to cover it), I'd consider these better sound quality than the SVS Ultra::
They are $2100/pr via A4L. I don''t know what pricing is in Europe!
Actually if you are going to use subs for the bass, these will do a great job and save you a fair amount:
They are 3.565 USD here, LOL for weak Swedish currency.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As long as the bass is not critical (you will use subs to cover it), I'd consider these better sound quality than the SVS Ultra::
They are $2100/pr via A4L. I don''t know what pricing is in Europe!
Actually if you are going to use subs for the bass, these will do a great job and save you a fair amount:
Me likey!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've been doing more critical listening and comparing between all my speakers. My towers throw a huge soundstage and have far better midrange/mid bass than any of my bookshelf speakers. I actually thought of you when I started realizing there is a noticeable difference!
:blushes:
Man I couldn’t find this!!!
That’s interesting. Couple things. Did you take your ultra BS speakers down and test them too? I’m still a believer, and I’m curious if you were able to test them.

AND!!! Did you ever make a run at any ceiling speakers?

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I have the SVS Ultra Towers at home for evaluation (HT, gaming and music) in a stereo only configuration, they've been on the market for quite some time now so I was wondering if there are better towers for the same price these days?

What I want in the speakers (and why I got the the Ultra Towers):
  • Large sweet spot, at least as wide (off-axis) listening position as the Ultras.
  • Deeper flat bass extension, preferably down to 20hz with quality.
  • Comparative smooth treble.
  • Somewhat warm sound.
  • Fairly flat frequency response.
  • I'm not averse to using a subwoofer but I want to be able to have as deep bass without one as possible.

Brands and speaker that have come up so far in my research:
  • GoldenEar (Triton Two MK locally on sale for a good price)
  • Canton (Ergo 690 DC)
PS. I have the RP-280F, still evaluating them but I think I prefer the slightly smoother treble and wider sweet spot on the Ultra Towers.
The RBH SVTR pair will reset your brains wiring with what sounds good. . I have their little brother. I’ve auditioned the SV-6500/r as well. The new tweeters are incredible.

J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
The RBH SVTR pair will reset your brains wiring with what sounds good. . I have their little brother. I’ve auditioned the SV-6500/r as well. The new tweeters are incredible.
Ahhh... SVTR that's one crazy speaker but allas not available in Sweden and just a tiny ity bit too expensive, never mind the size haha.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Not sure what is your budget..., but have you looked into Focals ? They've a big selection of sweet sounding speakers , at all prices and likely to be available in Sweeden, having made out of France.

Once you go Focal, difficult to look elsewhere ;-). gets you hooked ..fantastic sound stage, vocal clarity, beautiful mid & highs, accurate reproduction across the whole range..

J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
Not sure what is your budget..., but have you looked into Focals ? They've a big selection of sweet sounding speakers , at all prices and likely to be available in Sweeden, having made out of France.

Once you go Focal, difficult to look elsewhere ;-). gets you hooked ..fantastic sound stage, vocal clarity, beautiful mid & highs, accurate reproduction across the whole range..
Budget isn't the problem but instead does Focal sound better at the same price point. In this case ca 2000 EUR. Also the Focal I found at same price as SVS only played down to 45hz so then I'll likely need a sub which isn't necessarily three case withthe Ultra Towers.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Budget isn't the problem but instead does Focal sound better at the same price point. In this case ca 2000 EUR. Also the Focal I found at same price as SVS only played down to 45hz so then I'll likely need a sub which isn't necessarily three case withthe Ultra Towers.
You mean the Focal Chorus 826v , thats rated down to 45Hz ? ( which is what I have in my HT..along with SVS PC13 Ultra , though). I havent heard SVS Ultra towers so cant make a direct comparison...,but you should hear these .. at this price range. The 836 goes down to 40Hz.
Assuming this is for Hometheater appln, you're better off just investing in a separate sub (in SVS or Hsu line) , if you're looking to go low and have a nicer mains .. than to do a compromise, is my opinion.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you do not plan or want to use subs but want solid bass, I don't think you will find better than the SVS Ultra Towers at $2000. It is one of the least expensive good speakers that provides full-range, IMHO!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you do not plan or want to use subs but want solid bass, I don't think you will find better than the SVS Ultra Towers at $2000. It is one of teh least expensive good speakers that provides full-range, IMHO!
On post #13 he said he was looking at getting a sub or 2 though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For sub/s I'm thinking XTZ 12.17 EDGE (renowned local brand) or SVS SB-3000 for reasonable price, foot print and 20hz output.
XTZ makes a good sub!
These are small details, but I would get the subs first and take the time to properly integrate them into your current system.
My reasoning is a good sub is a good sub. I have dual Outlaw X13's, but between SVS, Rythmik, PSA, and Hsu there are several other subs that I believe I would be just as happy with!
However, I do not expect that type of equivalence among speakers at all. Every speaker I have heard from different companies had a fairly unique sound!
So get and setup the subs which will be a profound improvement. In the process you will learn more about what you want from your next speakers and also have more time to get out and listen to more alternatives.
All of that said, the Ultra towers are a nice speaker and I don't think you would ever kick yourself for having bought them!

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Concur with @KEW , if you're already planning to get sub , go for those..,and that should give you better options & flexibility with the mains, if you're to replace them.

J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
Concur with @KEW , if you're already planning to get sub , go for those..,and that should give you better options & flexibility with the mains, if you're to replace them.
I actually have the XTZ 10.17 EDGE as well as Arendal 1961 S1 but I'm returning them as they make so little difference when paired with the Ultra Towers. Also I like the convenience of just the towers for space saving. Even if I get a more powerful sub the mains and the sub will normalize more of the room modes together if I run them full range than just a pair of 45hz speakers with a sub would. I've also thought about how I use them in my apartment, I don't watch that many movies with super deep bass, it's more TV show, games and anime. There seems to be very little stuff that actually goes down and below 30 let alone 20hz that isn't block buster movies, right? So a pair of full range towers could stand in for a sub to decent degree I'm thinking.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Triangle Borea BR09 is worth a look if you're looking for chest slamming bass(50-100hz = chest slam)
They're rated to 35hz

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean the Focal Chorus 826v , thats rated down to 45Hz ? ( which is what I have in my HT..along with SVS PC13 Ultra , though). I havent heard SVS Ultra towers so cant make a direct comparison...,but you should hear these .. at this price range. The 836 goes down to 40Hz.
Assuming this is for Hometheater appln, you're better off just investing in a separate sub (in SVS or Hsu line) , if you're looking to go low and have a nicer mains .. than to do a compromise, is my opinion.
My towers are flat to 30 hz and they're about - 3 dB at 28. They're almost true full range towers.

*Edit: I do agree with others that with a sub it opens up your options some more, but without it's going to be hard to beat the Ultra towers' low end in that price range.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
My towers are flat to 30 hz and they're about - 3 dB at 28. They're almost true full range towers.

*Edit: I do agree with others that with a sub it opens up your options some more, but without it's going to be hard to beat the Ultra towers' low end in that price range.
Hard to beat that(ie low end) in that price range!

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic

I wouldn't be surprised if the Q950's give them a run for their money in the Bass department.
My Q750's measure pretty much flat to 40hz with usable output to 35hz (attached measurements)

Feedback from Q950 owners is usable output down to low 20's but i haven't seen any measurements to back that up yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the Q950 bass performance is similar to the SVS Ultra towers.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis