Are there better speakers than the SVS Ultra Towers for similar price?

J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
I have the SVS Ultra Towers at home for evaluation (HT, gaming and music) in a stereo only configuration, they've been on the market for quite some time now so I was wondering if there are better towers for the same price these days?

What I want in the speakers (and why I got the the Ultra Towers):
  • Large sweet spot, at least as wide (off-axis) listening position as the Ultras.
  • Deeper flat bass extension, preferably down to 20hz with quality.
  • Comparative smooth treble.
  • Somewhat warm sound.
  • Fairly flat frequency response.
  • I'm not averse to using a subwoofer but I want to be able to have as deep bass without one as possible.

Brands and speaker that have come up so far in my research:
  • GoldenEar (Triton Two MK locally on sale for a good price)
  • Canton (Ergo 690 DC)
PS. I have the RP-280F, still evaluating them but I think I prefer the slightly smoother treble and wider sweet spot on the Ultra Towers.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
I'd say that the Emotiva T2/T2+ fits your bill, though no speaker is ever going to reach down to 20 Hz or even 30 without subwoofer support.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'd say that the Emotiva T2/T2+ fits your bill, though no speaker is ever going to reach down to 20 Hz or even 30 without subwoofer support.
I’m sure you mean your answer to be within the context of this thread. But I just want to say, maybe not...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Let alone the JTR Noesis 215RT....but that wouldnt be in OPs price range. I would say largely lateral move barring a good sale or finding something used as far as SVS Ultras go....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Let alone the JTR Noesis 215RT....but that wouldnt be in OPs price range. I would say largely lateral move barring a good sale or finding something used as far as SVS Ultras go....
I agree. In the 1k each range, pretty much anything will be lateral, and finding something with extension that’s better than the ultras in that range might be impossible. IMO, the 590’s should be able to compete. I would keep the ultras over the klipsch that he’s evaluating, but in order not to be lateral, I would look at a higher budget.
Edit: yeah, the JTR’s would be sweeeet!

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
I’m sure you mean your answer to be within the context of this thread. But I just want to say, maybe not...

Those have subwoofers built into them, exactly as I commented. They wouldn't reach that without the subs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I haven't heard the Ultra towers, but if I were looking to top them for the same price range, I wouldn't be looking at Golden Ear or Emotiva. I would be looking at Revel F36, Paradigm Premier 800F, JBL Studio 590, KEF Q950, Maybe take a peak at what can be had from Canton, and also Monitor Audio, Dali, and PSB.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard the Ultra towers, but if I were looking to top them for the same price range, I wouldn't be looking at Golden Ear or Emotiva. I would be looking at Revel F36, Paradigm Premier 800F, JBL Studio 590, KEF Q950, Maybe take a peak at what can be had from Canton, and also Monitor Audio, Dali, and PSB.
I was also thinking Revel and Kef too, but the other suggestions would easily make my short list. I would also add RBH too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Those have subwoofers built into them, exactly as I commented. They wouldn't reach that without the subs.
Well for the record I was playing around, but I’ll call semantics and say no, they don’t have subs in them. As long as the towers are free standing then their just towers.
At least the bass sections in these actually qualify as being able to produce sub bass vs the more common mentioned DT and GE.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't discount the GE T2+ I have compared them against the 800F, my dealer carries both. I am confused by the sub bass comment. I looked at measurements for bot the KEF and Paradigm and the GEs.

That being said, the best thing you can do is test as many as you can and make your own decision on what sounds best to you.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You should consider adding a sub or 2 if you would like bass extension at 20hz.

Possibly check out HSU Research, Monoprice Monolith series, SVS, Outlaw, or Rythmik.

Good luck! :)

J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
I wouldn't discount the GE T2+ I have compared them against the 800F, my dealer carries both. I am confused by the sub bass comment. I looked at measurements for bot the KEF and Paradigm and the GEs.

That being said, the best thing you can do is test as many as you can and make your own decision on what sounds best to you.
Sure, I'm just trying to gather information from all the wise people here. It's not like I'm disappointed with the Ultra Towers it's just that I've seen some conflicting comments online, some say they are over priced for what they deliver and some that they perform in price class above. I really want towers with good deep bass in the 30~20hz region and I think the Ultras kind of deliver here. I don't have unrealistic expectations, just trying to figure out if there are other speaker with similar or better bass extension and sound quality in the same price class that I should consider before I settle on the Ultras.

GoldenEar frequency ranges looks good on paper and is available here in Sweden as well as some other brand you guys have mentioned but I don't know how they compare to the Ultras at the same price point, I'm curious what people think before going through the hassle of bringing them home.

Bass extension and wide sweet spot is the key sound qualities I'm trying to find within this price range.

J

JoelArt

Audiophyte
You should consider adding a sub or 2 if you would like bass extension at 20hz.

Possibly check out HSU Research, Monoprice Monolith series, SVS, Outlaw, or Rythmik.

Good luck! :)
For sub/s I'm thinking XTZ 12.17 EDGE (renowned local brand) or SVS SB-3000 for reasonable price, foot print and 20hz output.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have the SVS Ultra Towers at home for evaluation (HT, gaming and music) in a stereo only configuration, they've been on the market for quite some time now so I was wondering if there are better towers for the same price these days?

What I want in the speakers (and why I got the the Ultra Towers):
  • Large sweet spot, at least as wide (off-axis) listening position as the Ultras.
  • Deeper flat bass extension, preferably down to 20hz with quality.
  • Comparative smooth treble.
  • Somewhat warm sound.
  • Fairly flat frequency response.
  • I'm not averse to using a subwoofer but I want to be able to have as deep bass without one as possible.

Brands and speaker that have come up so far in my research:
  • GoldenEar (Triton Two MK locally on sale for a good price)
  • Canton (Ergo 690 DC)
PS. I have the RP-280F, still evaluating them but I think I prefer the slightly smoother treble and wider sweet spot on the Ultra Towers.
I like my RP-280F 's but I'm with you on the sweet spot. Only sitting dead center on the couch makes for a good listening spot (2.0 in the living room). Nobody else notices it but me of course, so if I do decide to replace them I'm gonna get "that look." :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the bass from the four 8's is really nice, which is why I never hooked up the sub, and they have a high WAF with the reddish veneer. I'd be sleeping outside in the cold if I got something as big black and ugly as the SVS Ultras or Emotiva T2's, even if they would be a better fit sonically.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Well for the record I was playing around, but I’ll call semantics and say no, they don’t have subs in them. As long as the towers are free standing then their just towers.
At least the bass sections in these actually qualify as being able to produce sub bass vs the more common mentioned DT and GE.
My only point is/was that 20 Hz isn't reached without that type of reinforcement and Legacy's own literature says "dual subwoofers with internal amplification" so I stand by my statement that they're subs I do agree about DT and GE though... very 'optimistic' specs there.

I'm also being pretty literal and agree with you that separate subs are different animals and typically the much better tool for the job.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
As far as Canton goes, if budget works out, maybe look for one with the ceramic tweeter rather than the aluminum manganese tweeter. Not sure if you can demo them side by side since you are in Europe.

D

dzzmiller

Enthusiast
are
The ultra's reach 30hz without a subwoofer. Placement is the issue. Away from corners and a foot off the wall is not workable for most people.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My only point is/was that 20 Hz isn't reached without that type of reinforcement and Legacy's own literature says "dual subwoofers with internal amplification" so I stand by my statement that they're subs I do agree about DT and GE though... very 'optimistic' specs there.

I'm also being pretty literal and agree with you that separate subs are different animals and typically the much better tool for the job.
I noticed that legacy uses “subwoofer” in their literature too. I think this is because technically, it’s true. The speakers they’re referring to are in the literal sense producing bass in the lowest octave so...
Anyway, I was brushing my teeth this morning when I read your post. Through the sleep in my eyes, I read Kim also being pretty liberal”. I was like, ummmm, how do I respond to that! Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love my Ultra towers and haven't heard anything in the price range that bests them yet. Now, it's not like I get out and listen to hundreds of different speakers every month, but yeah...

Yesterday I went pure/direct without subs for a pretty spirited session and I'm blown away at how much bass they can produce. Windows rattling, solid chest thump.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis