How far is your MLP from your speakers?

How far is your MLP from your speakers?

• Total voters
ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Per the title, how far from your speakers do you sit?

Easy question. No tricks.

I've binned the poll options in to typical ranges to make it easier on me to aggregate the results. I’m not necessarily concerned with the size of the room, the layout, etc. Just the distance you are from the speakers when watching tv/listening to music/etc.

If you have multiple rooms, feel free to give me multiple numbers. I’m just trying to get a feel for typical listening distances.

Thanks in advance,
Erin

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have multiple rooms so I may have skewed the results a bit.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
6 feet or so in the current apt. I'm planning on moving soon so that might change.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
yep about 6ft from TV live in a very small apartment

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
13'...this is the norm.

For critical listening, I move in another chair that sits about 6" lower and about 9' from the speakers...imo this is the sweet spot.

edited to note...I was thinking to the TV wall, the speakers are out from the wall...11' is my distance to MLP, I knew there wasn't that much difference when I pull in the smaller, lower chair.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
14' for me. I have lotsa room.
Not lots, just sort of an odd shaped space for me...bringing the seating closer puts them right in the middle of the walkthru area.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
About 11 feet for me.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about this. The screen size and room size will be big factors and the location of the room modes.

I'm lucky in that all seats seem to have a good sound with the closest seats being 12 ft. I think if the room allows without getting too close to the back wall it is best to be at least 12 ft from the speakers.

With this new Dolby up mixer which still continues to amaze me the optimal distance for this room seems around 15 ft, which is close to the central axis of the room.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about this. The screen size and room size will be big factors and the location of the room modes.

I'm lucky in that all seats seem to have a good sound with the closest seats being 12 ft. I think if the room allows without getting too close to the back wall it is best to be at least 12 ft from the speakers.

With this new Dolby up mixer which still continues to amaze me the optimal distance for this room seems around 15 ft, which is close to the central axis of the room.
I'm not asking for any 'hard and fast rule' reasons. I'm just asking a general question about how far people's MLP is from their (front) speakers. Like I said, just a simple question. People tend to read too much in to these kind of things. :D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
In my Home Theatre, the distance is 12'. For my 2-channel system, it varies - depends on where I'm sitting in the room - from 5' to 10'.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My main and second setup are between 6' and 12' feet from the MLP. My bedroom system maybe closer to 15' away.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not asking for any 'hard and fast rule' reasons. I'm just asking a general question about how far people's MLP is from their (front) speakers. Like I said, just a simple question. People tend to read too much in to these kind of things. :D
You didn't say front speakers.....so I added in my various surrounds, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis