2 10" subs v 1 12" sub

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Two 10s will just smooth the sound out, not give more boom. The sub I linked and the model below it would be my choice over either polk, Klipsch solutions. With the exception of a couple of Klipsch subs, the are men. Polk the same. Retail subs in the lower price points don't do very well on the whole.
I went diy I could not afford the svs sub I wanted . Stereo integrity I’ll put pics up when I get them of my while system. Despite its been collecting dust , lately ... using my jamo speakers mostly .
He is better off doing some research on diy subs or yeah getting the sub you suggested.

Jamo 10” down firing sub plenty of bass for tv watching and movies to the level of sound I need for this room . For bedroom I need a lot more for movies .

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
VSX is not listed for the mic
Compatible Pioneer receivers include:

NEX series
AVH-X series
SPH-DA (AppRadio) series
AVIC-Z series
AVH-P series
MVH-P series

Do you have any other ideas?
Email pioneer, but that was the mic that I found associated with your AVR. That was was from 2 different search queries, so they will confirm. Also the older pioneer units didn't offer eq below 63hz. So from there to 200hz would be the eq benefit.

Also I've never heard of those models for AVRs FWIW. Sounds like car units.

Also email Crhtchfield

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Email pioneer, but that was the mic that I found associated with your AVR. That was was from 2 different search queries, so they will confirm. Also the older pioneer units didn't offer eq below 63hz. So from there to 200hz would be the eq benefit.

Also I've never heard of those models for AVRs FWIW. Sounds like car units.

Also email Crhtchfield
His only option for mic would be a computer program , what are those mics people buy for theater calibration? The ones not included with avr ?
I also got an Yamaha avr pre ypao so it has no true calibration built in .

Tesla spoken to them

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
His only option for mic would be a computer program , what are those mics people buy for theater calibration? The ones not included with avr ?
I also got an Yamaha avr pre ypao so it has no true calibration built in .

Tesla spoken to them
For the built in room correction FWIW.

For calibration mics, behringer, minidsp umik, earthworks, dbx, etc.. all of which will have calibration files that need to be inputted into software for accurate measurements.

Last edited:
S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
What is a safe percentage to run you subwoofer power at?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I think you should check youtube they have great videos on how to set your avr, subwoofer, speakers, etc. To see is the way to learn.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the output level of the preamp....even running it without any attenuation is possible. It should be set where it matches with the mains....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It depends on where the trim is in the AVR. If the AVR is at +7 and the sub is at 85% your probably gonna smoke it once the volume knob moves up a little. As HD said, you’ll want to level match subwoofers to the rest of the speakers, and generally aim for an AVR subwoofer trim level in the range of -7 to -3. If you use audyssey , aim for closer to -10. Then you can raise it up a few dB since audyssey tends to set for a flat curve(oxymoron?) vs a little bassier one which is what many people prefer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on where the trim is in the AVR. If the AVR is at +7 and the sub is at 85% your probably gonna smoke it once the volume knob moves up a little. As HD said, you’ll want to level match subwoofers to the rest of the speakers, and generally aim for an AVR subwoofer trim level in the range of -7 to -3. If you use audyssey , aim for closer to -10. Then you can raise it up a few dB since audyssey tends to set for a flat curve(oxymoron?) vs a little bassier one which is what many people prefer.
With typical plate amps and avrs, would agree. Just hard to know what the trim level or gain level on the sub should be without the specific pre-out levels involved.

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for that information. How would I tell if I have my gain turned to high then? We run our receiver maximum 60 out of 80 on the volume control. Gain on the sub is set to half way and the frequency is set to 90. Is it as easy as turn it up until distortion and turn it down a little?
50% is a good starting point for your sub gain. Run room correction and see where it sets your sub level trim on your AVR. Anything in the -5 to -10 area is a good spot to be.

*Edit: Just saw you don't have the mic...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for that information. How would I tell if I have my gain turned to high then? We run our receiver maximum 60 out of 80 on the volume control. Gain on the sub is set to half way and the frequency is set to 90. Is it as easy as turn it up until distortion and turn it down a little?
Hard to know with that little to go on. How did you calibrate the sub level with the speakers? Did you run MCACC? I would use the max setting for the low pass filter on the sub when using the avr's bass management (sometimes using the LFE input on the sub will take the low pass filter out of the circuit, too). Try this article, too https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/basic-subwoofer-setup

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
With typical plate amps and avrs, would agree. Just hard to know what the trim level or gain level on the sub should be without the specific pre-out levels involved.
Bass on the reciever is -6 (max down), we typically watch movies at 60 out of 80 volume. The subwoofer is currently set to half gain and 90Hz frequency. Also, cross over on the reciever is 80Hz. As far as pre-out levels, I do not know how to verify that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass on the reciever is -6 (max down), we typically watch movies at 60 out of 80 volume. The subwoofer is currently set to half gain and 90Hz frequency. Also, cross over on the reciever is 80Hz. As far as pre-out levels, I do not know how to verify that.
Bass? Like bass/treble controls? Curious, why use those? Does this avr have a graphic eq? Why did you set the sub's low pass to 90? Yes, you'd have to measure output in voltage, or perhaps just spl. What is the sub trim level set? (sub trim, i.e. the avr's subwoofer level setting)?

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
Bass? Like bass/treble controls? Curious, why use those? Does this avr have a graphic eq? Why did you set the sub's low pass to 90? Yes, you'd have to measure output in voltage, or perhaps just spl. What is the sub trim level set? (sub trim, i.e. the avr's subwoofer level setting)?
Yes, bass as in bass/treble control. I don't believe this reciever has a graphic eq. I'll have to do some digging into the subwoofer level setting on the avr

S

Stevea2008

Audioholic Intern
Yes, bass as in bass/treble control. I don't believe this reciever has a graphic eq. I'll have to do some digging into the subwoofer level setting on the avr
After reading the manual, all speakers are set to 0 DB. I did a factory reset and didn't change any of those setting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After reading the manual, all speakers are set to 0 DB. I did a factory reset and didn't change any of those setting.
So are you now going to run MCACC? How about maxing out the low pass filter setting on your sub?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis