Why did plasma go extinct.??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
They went extinct because plasma tvs are dull looking heavy and over priced. You can get deeper blacks on oled displays anyway.
Plasma weight was pretty substantial but far better then any led or qled tv.

Are oled better I heard they burn in more then plasma but for average sports fans will oled work. ? For movies too

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Plasma weight was pretty substantial but far better then any led or qled tv.

Are oled better I heard they burn in more then plasma but for average sports fans will oled work. ? For movies too

Tesla spoken to them
Plasma was far heavier than anything LED/OLED etc. burn in was far more common in Plasma, and very unlikely in OLED. Once LED got close enough to Plasma contrast retailers basically had enough of the heavier sets that could only be stored upright and had more returns and warranty work.

That said, I’m still waiting for my 55” plasma to die before I get a new set. I hope OLED will drop in price, but it’s not happening it seems.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Plasma was far heavier than anything LED/OLED etc. burn in was far more common in Plasma, and very unlikely in OLED. Once LED got close enough to Plasma contrast retailers basically had enough of the heavier sets that could only be stored upright and had more returns and warranty work.

That said, I’m still waiting for my 55” plasma to die before I get a new set. I hope OLED will drop in price, but it’s not happening it seems.
So oled is better then plasma? Even the best led tv never ever ever came close to the contrast ratios of top brand plasmas in the ‘millions .

Tesla spoken to them

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
So oled is better then plasma? Even the best led tv never ever ever came close to the contrast ratios of top brand plasmas in the ‘millions .

Tesla spoken to them
Define better. No matter how much better plasma might measure, the goal is what a human eye can't detect. I'm unaware of any double blind experiments, controlled for only contrast, comparing plasma and OLED, but I would highly doubt you would see preference outside of chance.

Moreover, while I don't have measurements in front of me, I'm willing to bet that OLED would be considered SOTA in contrast as well.

Price not a factor, and I will always have a fond place for PLASMA in my heart, I wouldn't take one over an OLED.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Define better. No matter how much better plasma might measure, the goal is what a human eye can't detect. I'm unaware of any double blind experiments, controlled for only contrast, comparing plasma and OLED, but I would highly doubt you would see preference outside of chance.

Moreover, while I don't have measurements in front of me, I'm willing to bet that OLED would be considered SOTA in contrast as well.

Price not a factor, and I will always have a fond place for PLASMA in my heart, I wouldn't take one over an OLED.
More less not price but discontinued and killed , oled is probably lot brighter . Are led brightest ? When is micro qled coming does it compare to oled ?

Modern TVs are what 1/3 the weight of similar sized plasma ? And at 75”+ size modern oled is probably best . Rarely plasmas exceeded 70”?
Tesla spoken to them

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
LCD/LED technology got good enough and cheap enough that the masses would buy it. And for those that want better blacks and are willing to pay for it we have OLED. Which is lighter and I am guess cheaper to produce than plasma. Probably uses less power too. I still have a 42 inch 720p plasma that I really like though. Its in my bedroom now.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
LCD/LED technology got good enough and cheap enough that the masses would buy it. And for those that want better blacks and are willing to pay for it we have OLED. Which is lighter and I am guess cheaper to produce than plasma. Probably uses less power too. I still have a 42 inch 720p plasma that I really like though. Its in my bedroom now.
Yeah I guess oled kills any reason to make plasma again but some plasma had better picture when new them some of today’s oled s. ESP Kuro which I never could afford .

Oled can be credit card thin so it wins period over anything .

Led also is super thin . And yes much much cheaper then oled

Plasma was killed far too early it could had been perfected and made thin like oled .
Imo and would had been superior for some content but not everything.

Comes down to greed that’s it .
But I’m glad TVs are finally getting better then those plasmas I’m talking about .

Burn in killed them off and there heavy weight. Plasma used a lot of power too

Panasonic and pioneer left tv industry killing the format ? I prefer plasma to led
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Ok, I’ll play on this zombie thread too...

Plasma was better as long as you could deal with it’s drawbacks. So, for consumers...

1. Gets hot AF
2. Heavy AF
3. Very prone to burn in

For retailers, weight is a burden. It also had to shipped upright.

For manufacturers “4K” turned out to be marketing gold. Making a 4K plasma was possible but the tv had to be no smaller than ~50-50” and needed even more power and more weight. On a side this makes me sad as 85% of programming viewed is still 720p. The average person just thinks 4K means good ole TV, or some such BS, and plasma was considered in the perceived “Stone Age” of 1080p.

Thin TVs were also marketing gold. Plasma would always lack here, and would probably soon hit a point of virtual impossibility to make as thin as modern day LEDs.

But, there was no doubt if you were serious about the best picture Plasma couldn’t be beat. The last ones released were truly awesome.

Then came OLED, and it was over for plasma.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, I’ll play on this zombie thread too...

Plasma was better as long as you could deal with it’s drawbacks. So, for consumers...

1. Gets hot AF
2. Heavy AF
3. Very prone to burn in

For retailers, weight is a burden. It also had to shipped upright.

For manufacturers “4K” turned out to be marketing gold. Making a 4K plasma was possible but the tv had to be no smaller than ~50-50” and needed even more power and more weight. On a side this makes me sad as 85% of programming viewed is still 720p. The average person just thinks 4K means good ole TV, or some such BS, and plasma was considered in the perceived “Stone Age” of 1080p.

Thin TVs were also marketing gold. Plasma would always lack here, and would probably soon hit a point of virtual impossibility to make as thin as modern day LEDs.

But, there was no doubt if you were serious about the best picture Plasma couldn’t be beat. The last ones released were truly awesome.

Then came OLED, and it was over for plasma.

I disagree they could had kept on advancing in technology so it could had gone to 16k plasmas but the bit rate we get at home isn’t true 4K or 8k

Yeah makes perfect since to use a less hazard prone burn in prone type of tv for the next gen 8k and 4K which ehhh weird af no content ..
My 4K tv isn’t hdr

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

You ever cleaned dust out of a used plasma ? Can you use a sweeper or no?

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
I believe plasmas are also a bit more fragile as well. I also think I read somewhere that the manufacturing of them wasn't that enviornmentally great. So that might have hard a part in it too.

FcBuff

FcBuff

Audiophyte
Well, I am still rocking a 60" Pioneer Kuro Elite. Still looks good, works flawlessly. I just added a 4k LG OLED upstairs this past Christmas. Great looking display. I believe most people were enamored with thin and "cheap". My 60" Kuro was neither. There is no denying the new OLED displays are great, but it took what 10years or more for them to catch up?

I am at a cross roads this year. Planning on getting on board with a Sony PS5 this fall and will likely feel the need to finally "upgrade" my kuro. Not sure what I will do with it?

The new gaming platforms are going to drive the progression, and some of us "old timers" can't wait any longer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis