New AV receiver help

N

Newfang

Enthusiast
Hi all,
Looking to get with the times and replace an older Pioneer Elite VSX-33. The more I research, the more confused I seem to get. So many options, specs, brands, models etc. to chose from. I'm still new to home audio world and want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck here.

I have a 5.1 system with no plans to upgrade. All Polk Signature series, S35 center, S50 fronts, S10 rears and HTS10 sub. Probably equal parts gaming, movies/tv and music. Trying to decide between the following receivers.

Denon AVRX-3500H
Pioneer VSX-LX503
Marantz SR5013

Fully open to other suggestions, brands, models etc. if I am missing on some potential better options.
I defer to the experts, fire away. All and all responses appreciated. Cheers.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
all three are nice unit’s price and Creature features would Determine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep in a sense all more similar than different, pick by the most appropriate set of price/features/connectivity/amp section to suit your purposes. I would prefer the Audyssey XT32 in the Denon & Marantz over Pioneer's MCACC....

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
Hi all,
Looking to get with the times and replace an older Pioneer Elite VSX-33. The more I research, the more confused I seem to get. So many options, specs, brands, models etc. to chose from. I'm still new to home audio world and want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck here.

I have a 5.1 system with no plans to upgrade. All Polk Signature series, S35 center, S50 fronts, S10 rears and HTS10 sub. Probably equal parts gaming, movies/tv and music. Trying to decide between the following receivers.

Denon AVRX-3500H
Pioneer VSX-LX503
Marantz SR5013

Fully open to other suggestions, brands, models etc. if I am missing on some potential better options.
Hi Newfang

Have you thought about Anthem MRX series receivers? I am personally an Anthem MRX owner, I think Anthem gives a nice clean clear sound quality. However, it doesn't have many bells and whistles like other 3 brands you've mentioned, but it is very simple to use, the OSD (on screen display) menu is easy and intuitive not overly complicated. The room correction software is ARC Genesis, easy to use, measure all your speaker and subwoofers, i think it works good. The remote is very simple and cheaply made though, it is made out of plastic, however it is back-lid. I use the Logitech Harmony Elite remote so doesn't bother me that much.

Anyway, just throw this in to make your decision making even harder, there has to be some other members in this forum who have used all of these, they should be able to comment on how they sound, but nothing will compare to YOU who actually listening to it and how you think of how they sound.

Cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Newfang

Have you thought about Anthem MRX series receivers? I am personally an Anthem MRX owner, I think Anthem gives a nice clean clear sound quality. However, it doesn't have many bells and whistles like other 3 brands you've mentioned, but it is very simple to use, the OSD (on screen display) menu is easy and intuitive not overly complicated. The room correction software is ARC Genesis, easy to use, measure all your speaker and subwoofers, i think it works good. The remote is very simple and cheaply made though, it is made out of plastic, however it is back-lid. I use the Logitech Harmony Elite remote so doesn't bother me that much.

Anyway, just throw this in to make your decision making even harder, there has to be some other members in this forum who have used all of these, they should be able to comment on how they sound, but nothing will compare to YOU who actually listening to it and how you think of how they sound.

Cheers
Which MRX is in that price range, tho? Especially typically available pricing?

N

Newfang

Enthusiast
Pinifinina,

I'm not familiar with the brand. I'll definitely give it a look though. I appreciate the feedback everyone. Thank you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anthem is somewhat a boutique brand, smaller numbers, higher consumer cost essentially. Good stuff but by most accounts not particularly exemplary except for their use of a particular proprietary REQ program called Anthem Room Correction (ARC but not the ARC for video). Good stuff, but perhaps not as competitive price-wise or feature-wise.

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
Anthem is somewhat a boutique brand, smaller numbers, higher consumer cost essentially. Good stuff but by most accounts not particularly exemplary except for their use of a particular proprietary REQ program called Anthem Room Correction (ARC but not the ARC for video). Good stuff, but perhaps not as competitive price-wise or feature-wise.
Absolutely correct lovinthehd, it is definitely not as competitive price-wise and feature-wise, but some people might prefer the sound and doesn't mind the missing feature as they can easily be added from other in-expensive devices such as apple TV etc. As for the price that is similar to what Newfang is look for, maybe the older model if still can be found, which is the MRX x10 series, not the x20 series, as they cost much more. Speaking of which, is Marantz SR5013 still available?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Absolutely correct lovinthehd, it is definitely not as competitive price-wise and feature-wise, but some people might prefer the sound and doesn't mind the missing feature as they can easily be added from other in-expensive devices such as apple TV etc. As for the price that is similar to what Newfang is look for, maybe the older model if still can be found, which is the MRX x10 series, not the x20 series, as they cost much more. Speaking of which, is Marantz SR5013 still available?
If you're talking about the sound of the dsp, sure. Otherwise not so much. I have a variety of units and sound signature isn't usually an issue let alone desired. I came up quickly in a brief search for new 5013s. Used avrs are another issue due warranty/age/use.....

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
Totally agree lovinthehd. I would avoid go into second hand market for electronic devices, speakers are more forgiving i think...as there can be some nice pair of speaker out there still in good condition for a fraction of a original price.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
If you're considering the Denon 3500 I suggest you move up to the 3600.
Try to find a local store and give them a listen...buy what you can afford and makes your ears smile.
I have the Marantz 5011 and love it.
If you can afford it and can wait a bit you should be able to get the 6014 for $1k in a few months...that is a great avr for a great price...that is what I'm leaning towards...the 3600 is $1100 right now and should also go down a bit in a few months.
I'm considering and likely will upgrade to the 6014 to get more future proof as I retire in 18 weeks and won't be spending a lot once I retire and it's the last bit of kit I haven't upgraded in the past year.

Good luck and keep us informed.

P

pinifinina

Junior Audioholic
If you're considering the Denon 3500 I suggest you move up to the 3600.
Try to find a local store and give them a listen...buy what you can afford and makes your ears smile.
I have the Marantz 5011 and love it.
If you can afford it and can wait a bit you should be able to get the 6014 for $1k in a few months...that is a great avr for a great price...that is what I'm leaning towards...the 3600 is $1100 right now and should also go down a bit in a few months.
I'm considering and likely will upgrade to the 6014 to get more future proof as I retire in 18 weeks and won't be spending a lot once I retire and it's the last bit of kit I haven't upgraded in the past year.

Good luck and keep us informed.
I agree with you too Kai, Denon 3600 seemed like a very good ban for the buck and good quality receiver. Audioholics did a fantastic review on it, that 2 front channel pre-out completely cut off from the internal amp is great! as this can let the front pre-out go up to more than 4Vrms. Plus you can then reassign the internal front channel amp to power heights speaker. Just for this is well worth it! From my point of view at least!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe this is one Peng found them lacking on, maybe that's why it sounded familiar. On the main page they use an Audyssey XT32 graphic, but see the spec as you do, too. More I think about it the XT is right for the 5 series....
Yup, I would say the D&M website info are not 100% accurate, and would rank them as follow:
- Comparison table 95%
- Main page 95-99%, may be closer to 100% if you read carefully and interpret correctly.:D
- Product sheet info 99-100%
-Owner's manual info 99-100%

Someone posted that the SR6012/13/14 has gold plated RCA input/output connectors, based on Marantz website, can someone confirm that? I find that strange because even my AV7005 did not have gold plated, nor the AVR-X4400H.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the 3600 seems the value leader.
FWIW I use a pioneer in my bedroom and it’s a nice receiver, but I like audyssey much better than mcacc. And even at its rated 125x7 seems like it just runs out of gas at high levels. It’s great for my bedroom though.
My main system uses a 6012 and I really enjoy it a lot. The Onkyo it replaced had audyssey XT and xt32 with sub eqHT is a big step up and also allows use of the audyssey app. There’s been a few mixed results with that but for 20 bucks, it’s a cheap way to tweak the system a little further.

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Denon AVRX-3500H
Pioneer VSX-LX503
Marantz SR5013

The Denon x3600h has a pre amp mode for the front L&R channels just in case u ever wanted to put more power into the front channels with an external amp!

N

Newfang

Enthusiast
Thanks all. I checked out the Anthem receivers and they are a bit more than I was hoping to spend. The 3500/3600 seems like a win at the moment. The 3500 is tempting at 45% off currently. However, I may take your advice Kai and hold out for the 3600. However I'm only running a 5.1 system so I have no need for the extra channels at this time. Possibly in the future though. Otherwise the specs seem to be the same from what I can tell. I'm sure in time it will drop in price much like the 3500. I'm not in a huge rush at the moment so I can wait it out. I was looking at Yammies too but as stated, they all seem to have similar features and ratings for the most part.

Question. Is there a concerning difference between HDCP 2.2 and 2.3 that I should care about? Seems like a lot of 2018 model AVs come with 2.2 but 19 models and up seem to be moving towards 2.3. I'm still kind of confused about HDCP. From what I understand its has to do with copyright stuffs and the way equipment and devices talk to each other. Would an HDCP 2.2 receiver not communicate with a 2.3 device?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis