R

Rustedpalm

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,
I’m going to purchase some headphones. I’ve been looking through many reviews and every time I settle on a pair I then find another pair that interest me. So I thought I’d seek your help.

I know ultimately I’ll have to listen and decide for myself but any suggestions would be helpful.

I’ll be using computer or phone with an external Dragonfly Red DAC/amp most of the time while I build a better setup for home use.

My music taste is all over the map, so to speak. I listen to opera (mostly soprano), classical, blues guitar, rock and a bit of EDM (Daft Punk).

I know I may be asking for too much range out of one set of cans but....
So far I’ve thought about Senn hd650’s, Beyerdynamic dt770’s, Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons (while supplies last).

What else should I look at?

Thanks,

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
A few criteria first: What is your budget? At home listening only? Do you prefer open or closed back (you list two open and one closed)?

Your listed choices are all very nice and they all have their strengths/weaknesses. I know there are some Senn aficionados here on AH and they really do not make a bad can. Beyers are nice as is AQ (you can find some killer deals on the Nighthawk and Nightowls).

R

Rustedpalm

Audiophyte
$500.00 ish or less. Open or closed back is not a dealbreaker as long as the sound is there. Having said that, if I were forced to choose I think I would prefer open backed. I really want the best soundstage I can get at that price range. I will use mostly for home listening. I’m not looking to shut out the outside world. Basically I would prefer to build a loudspeaker setup but right now I wouldn’t be able to use it as much as cans.
I was sold on trying the HD650’s until I saw the Nighthawks while looking at the Dragonfly’s. They are unique in driver design and easy to drive and the price is really dropping.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
$500.00 ish or less. Open or closed back is not a dealbreaker as long as the sound is there. Having said that, if I were forced to choose I think I would prefer open backed. I really want the best soundstage I can get at that price range. I will use mostly for home listening. I’m not looking to shut out the outside world. Basically I would prefer to build a loudspeaker setup but right now I wouldn’t be able to use it as much as cans.
I was sold on trying the HD650’s until I saw the Nighthawks while looking at the Dragonfly’s. They are unique in driver design and easy to drive and the price is really dropping.
create an account on drop.com and scoop up a set of Senn HD6XX for ~$200

R

Rustedpalm

Audiophyte
How’s their quality compared to the “real thing”?
At that price I might get them and a set of Nighthawks! I’ve seen them for around $200

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
How’s their quality compared to the “real thing”?
At that price I might get them and a set of Nighthawks! I’ve seen them for around $200
Actually, they are the "real thing" - just marketed by Massdrop (they get to put their logo on them) and manufactured by Sennheiser. I had a pair pf the Massdrop/AKG K7XX and they were excellent!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have some AKG K240s and Grado SR 60s listed under $100. Both are lightweight and sound great. (at least to me). :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis