Building a home audio system + virtual pipe organ. What do I need?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's fine, I totally understand. I'm not attached by the brand either, it was literally just a search result that I was using as a basis. As far as multiple speakers - I don't 100% know, but that is the consensus from people that have implemented these systems. I believe it has to do with the many simultaneous sound files being delivered, and more speakers helping remove 'destructive wave cancellations'. Is this buzzword-y garbage? I just don't know.
The other reason is to emulate the multiple-sound-source of a real instrument.
You might want to read these articles

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
Honestly, you never once mentioned how many speakers or channels you were looking to use, so I felt it was an honest question. I'm highlighting some statements from your first post that made me think you wanted tons and tons of speakers. There was never any mention that I saw of a speaker handling multiple pipes, so sorry if I didn't understand that.

Knowing further what you want I think you might actually be well served by a complete HSU speaker and sub system here. One of the systems here: Maybe the 5.1 and pick up a second sub

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15-CCBpkg.html

My thinking behind this goes as follows:

The VTF 15h MK2 is a good performer down to 16 Hz. Two of them will help to even out room nulls and modes, giving more even bass throughout the whole listening space.

The CCB-8 because it's a coaxial speaker and is modestly priced, it also has great dispersion and due to their size will be easy for you to place them throughout the room.
Thanks, this is extremely helpful. Actionable content =D
I see that it's 16Hz plugged... I don't know much about the impact of that, is it a lot worse than "it's a bit quieter when plugged"?
I think this is what I'd do, then:
Four channel output
Three channels to three of the speakers
Fourth channel to the two subs, crossed over to the two remaining speakers, if that is possible. (All four on the same channel, same pipes play to all. Hopefully I'll be able to manage the dynamic difference?)
Plus black and yellow is perfect, I'm in Pittsburgh after all. My Cat6 for ethernet is black with yellow jackets. :p

(I'd say that my comment about "as many $250 speakers as I could get" with a target budget of $3k would indicate that I only meant a few. Also that I'm not a literal alien pretending to be a human being).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought is asking @TLS Guy for speaker thoughts, his diy designs IIRC utilize pipe influenced speaker design....

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
You might want to read these articles
Hmm, interesting. These seem to talk mostly about multiple speakers playing the same thing, but I think what I'll have is the other way around. A pipe sample will never go to more than one speaker, but a single speaker could be playing hundreds of simultaneous samples.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm, interesting. These seem to talk mostly about multiple speakers playing the same thing, but I think what I'll have is the other way around. A pipe sample will never go to more than one speaker, but a single speaker could be playing hundreds of simultaneous samples.
Still fuzzy on the why and how of what you're doing....any links to others with similar setups you mention?

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
Still fuzzy on the why and how of what you're doing....any links to others with similar setups you mention?
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/view_cat/cat/3/sort/94/order/last_modified/limit/10
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/view_cat/cat/3/sort/17/order/last_modified/limit/10
http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/view_cat/cat/3/sort/89/order/last_modified/limit/6
Here are some articles mostly focusing on the audio aspects of these systems, especially on the multichanneling of it all.

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
As far as why - I played organ in my undergrad. I miss it every day. This is the cheapest way to have one in your home. How, I'm building a keydesk into the wall of my living room. It's all a midi inputs - keyboards, pedalboard, and I'm custom building drawknobs to control which pipes play. These inputs connect to a software on a PC, which in turn generates a digital output that has to go to some kind of decoder. I discovered this: https://www.amazon.com/Cymatic-Audio-LP-16-Live-Player/dp/B00KJ7MH3C
May be exactly what I need for the channel splitting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as why - I played organ in my undergrad. I miss it every day. This is the cheapest way to have one in your home. How, I'm building a keydesk into the wall of my living room. It's all a midi inputs - keyboards, pedalboard, and I'm custom building drawknobs to control which pipes play. These inputs connect to a software on a PC, which in turn generates a digital output that has to go to some kind of decoder. I discovered this: https://www.amazon.com/Cymatic-Audio-LP-16-Live-Player/dp/B00KJ7MH3C
May be exactly what I need for the channel splitting.
I'd imagine minidsp has some units as well, as I mentioned before. Good luck!

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
I'd imagine minidsp has some units as well, as I mentioned before. Good luck!
Thanks. I looked at minidsp, the only problem is that they seem to be mostly multi-input compared to multi-output, until it gets very expensive.
But, if I had multi input, maybe I could use that for the home audio? I'm still going to try to figure that one out =P

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I looked at minidsp, the only problem is that they seem to be mostly multi-input compared to multi-output, until it gets very expensive.
But, if I had multi input, maybe I could use that for the home audio? I'm still going to try to figure that one out =P
They tend to be both....you can use a 2x4 to have one input out to 4 outputs....they're very flexible.

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I have a lot of answers, but the one that's outstanding is one of the bigger ones:
Do you have a recommendation (or is there no such thing) for a crossover box to take a single analog and manage the input onto both a sub and a speaker?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Minidsp incorporates crossover features as well as delay features....very useful.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I know this probably does not help, but I designed a house for a client in '97 or so and the wife had an actual (electric) organ in the living area. I worked with the organ manufacturer and a local A/V dealer to place (IIRC) 16 speakers surrounding the open, two story great room. Fun stuff!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you have a product in particular? The ones I'm seeing don't reference this.
Related, are you able to explain how to get all 8 outputs separately with this: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/nanodigi-2x8-b
I see that it has spdf 2 channels on each output, but how do I split it from there?
LOL I'm still trying to figure out what you're imagining let alone what gear will do that best. Without digging into it what it can do is take that one input and manipulate it in a variety of ways but it will still be a single input so just what do you expect from splitting it aside from perhaps providing a delay/eq? (or in pairs of outputs perhaps crossover?).....

B

bradleybj09

Audioholic Intern
LOL I'm still trying to figure out what you're imagining let alone what gear will do that best. Without digging into it what it can do is take that one input and manipulate it in a variety of ways but it will still be a single input so just what do you expect from splitting it aside from perhaps providing a delay/eq? (or in pairs of outputs perhaps crossover?).....
I just mean to ask: the 2x4 makes sense, it has 4 analog outputs. But the 2x8 ALSO has 4 analog outputs, but lists them as being pairs of channel in each output, which I don't understand.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis