Sub behind 150" screen? 1x VTF-15H Subwoofer

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I'm worried I'm building my self into a trap.

My goal was to build a false wall to hide everything from my 6mo daughter as she gets older and keep things looking clean and nice.

I built a wall based on some my own theory's of good enough...

Picture of the unfinsied wall.

Top right box is for AV equipment
Top left media
Bottom left, I plan on having a port to the rear of my left main
2nd to left will be a foamed in left main.
3rd is Sub, middle is center.
From there it's a repeat.

I'm worried about closing the sub into a box and wondering if I should leave the lid off .

I'm also worried about having a sub closer to center behind a screen?

Also there are 2 layers of insulation behind the pink foam. The 2 fake walls making these shelfs are isolated from the house using 1/4" rubber that was stapled to the outside of the 2x4". As this is in a basement behind all of that is concrete.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Haw..?

What equipment are you going to use for all this? In wall speakers? Regular speakers? Amps? Receiver? We need makes and models. You mention a port? What material is your fake wall going to be made from?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm worried I'm building my self into a trap.

My goal was to build a false wall to hide everything from my 6mo daughter as she gets older and keep things looking clean and nice.

I built a wall based on some my own theory's of good enough...

Picture of the unfinsied wall.

Top right box is for AV equipment
Top left media
Bottom left, I plan on having a port to the rear of my left main
2nd to left will be a foamed in left main.
3rd is Sub, middle is center.
From there it's a repeat.

I'm worried about closing the sub into a box and wondering if I should leave the lid off .

I'm also worried about having a sub closer to center behind a screen?

Also there are 2 layers of insulation behind the pink foam. The 2 fake walls making these shelfs are isolated from the house using 1/4" rubber that was stapled to the outside of the 2x4". As this is in a basement behind all of that is concrete.
It should be fine. I wouldn't worry about putting a lid on the sub compartment. I think it will be adequately ventilated. You will want to make sure the shelving is well braced so that equipment doesn't vibrate too much.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
It will help to know that the screen wont be a transparent one, at-least not at first.

The room is 34' x 16' x 8'

Sub: 1x VTF-15H
Center: 1x RP-450CA
Tower: 2x RF-82
Surround: 2x Ref IV RS42
Rear (Ceiling mounted): 2x RP-140SA
Ceiling : 4x CDT-5650-C-II (have not purchased yet)
Receiver: Denon AVR-x4100w (I plan on upgrading this not sure to what yet though.)

I'm building the boxes out of 1/2" Birch stain grade Plywood.

My plan was to line the Top, Bottom and L/R of each box that included a speaker with 2" foam. This will leave each box 1" smaller then the speaker that will go into it making a seal around it. The back will be left alone as it's 3 layers of insulation.

I've also considered putting wood on the backs of the Center and LR speakers and cutting a port out of the side of the box. That will connect to a box that will direct the air forward. Turning each of the three rear ported speakers with NO air into forward ported speakers with a delay.

I also plan on putting the rubber between each box and the 2X4 as well as using glue, quarter round, and staples to build each box. I'll use 2" foam under the boxes to act as support for the 1/2" wood and grab any unwanted vibration.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sub-behind-150-screen-1x-vtf-15h-subwoofer.116926/#

Again everything I'm doing is just crap I'm making up. I'm finding it difficult to find any data I can understand to follow.

people are all talking about tuning out phases and blow out zones and I'm over here eating my sucker thinking shiny gold cone makes sound I like.

The you-tube channel brought me here and I've watched about 5 hours of them but honestly I cannot follow anything they are saying.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In your position, I wouldn't worry about the acoustics of subwoofer placement too much. You have a predetermined reason for the sub, and a good reason why it has to be placed there. It should still sound fine, even if it doesn't net you a perfect response. The only thing I would worry about is just how closed off this area will be. The sub, as well as the other electronics, especially the AVR, need ventilation. If this stuff is going in closed off compartments, not only will that kill the sound, it will kill the equipment as heat builds up.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
I did not think about venting the sub, crap. If leave the top off of the box or at least an opening it think that will be enough? Or should I rig some fans on a temp switch?

As for the AV equipment I do plan on 2x 240mm fans to exaust the air that will run when the receiver is going.

I've a 6" vent that goes outside right above the AV box, I just need to cut into the foam to tap into it.

It isn't to late to change any of my design, but if having the sub in that position won't murder everything then I guess that works.

Thanks for talking the time to read through all my.. maybe stupid desighns.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looking at the equipment list and noticed four speakers designated for ceiling use. The way I read is four IC(for Atmos?) and one pair mounted to ceiling, as rear surrounds. If that is the case, I would NOT mount those rear surrounds and just forego them and do 5.1.4, unless you can put them on stands near seated ear height.

clamatowas

clamatowas

Junior Audioholic
Interesting, I've ran my wiring based off of Atmos angles and measurements. However I'm unable to mount the rear speakers to a wall as it's 15 ft away.

My plan was to ceiling mount them on an angle so they hit you like a rear.

But now that you suggest it I now have an idea of mountain a pole from the ceeling to both run the cable and hold the speaker in a better position, all while keeping it off the floor in toddler reach.

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s what I did for my right side surround. Works great and houses a 3 gang light switch box for the LR kitchen and fireplace.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Same column, different speaker. The IW is post room update. Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks. My wife still isn’t in live with it but whatever. I live here too. Lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com