2nd subwoofer wiring

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
I am wiring up a 7.2 with this subwoofer being in the back side of the living room. With this subwoofer having the ability with high output speaker hookups, could I hook up my 4 rear speakers to this to avoid running 4 sets of 30' speaker wire or would I lose out on quality/power? I am using an Onkyo HT RC-160 receiver, the speakers connecting to it will be the stock floor standing speaker and wall mount speakers.

Look forward to your input.
Isaac

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Use the low level RCA. (From the sub out (LFE))
If you use the high level you will only get the bass from the 2 rear channels connected to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would run the 4 runs of wire and connect them to the AVR to ensure you have discrete channels and they are working as they should.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
No, you may not do this.

The subwoofer will not power your speakers.

Run speaker wire from your receiver directly to all your speakers.
Run coaxial cable (75ohm) from your receiver to the low level input on your subwoofer.

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
Use the low level RCA. (From the sub out (LFE))
If you use the high level you will only get the bass from the 2 rear channels connected to it.

Thank you. That was my initial thought.. I'm slowly building my quality of products but as for now it works quite well. With this receiver being sub par to some of the high end ones would I benefit more out of a new receiver or better speakers?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thank you. That was my initial thought.. I'm slowly building my quality of products but as for now it works quite well. With this receiver being sub par to some of the high end ones would I benefit more out of a new receiver or better speakers?

Dont know what speakers you have so hard to say.

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
Dont know what speakers you have so hard to say.

Sony's I have as my front left and right. Onkyo center, surround l/r, and rear l/r

2channel lover

Better speakers...there are some advantages to the newer AVRs with the latest surround formats, etc. but the SQ itself is not going to change a great deal assuming the older AVR is working properly.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Speakers may be the weak point but hard to say, depends on budget, no point in buying new speakers for just a little more money. A new AVR would have newer formats and room correction and 4k compatability but it depends on what your use is and what you need.

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
Speakers may be the weak point but hard to say, depends on budget, no point in buying new speakers for just a little more money. A new AVR would have newer formats and room correction and 4k compatability but it depends on what your use is and what you need.
I'm sorry for the back and forth but figured I'd ask my questions while I have you. I'm streaming primarily through xbox one x on a uhd 65" samsung tv. I'm setting up in my new house living room (20' deep x 15' wide). The newer formatting would be nice but feel better speakers would be the best route. Is there a specific max power/impedance I should look for in a set of speakers or a set that you have in mind that would be reasonable but noticeable difference in quality?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I'm sorry for the back and forth but figured I'd ask my questions while I have you. I'm streaming primarily through xbox one x on a uhd 65" samsung tv. I'm setting up in my new house living room (20' deep x 15' wide). The newer formatting would be nice but feel better speakers would be the best route. Is there a specific max power/impedance I should look for in a set of speakers or a set that you have in mind that would be reasonable but noticeable difference in quality?

Speaker power ratings dont really say anything but sensitivity does as does the ohm rating(if honest). If you get 4ohm speakers they will be a bit harder to drive for the amp so something to keep in mind. A low sensitivity rating will also require more power for a set volume at the listening position. 86dB is low but 88dB is fine, nothing wrong with lower but might need more power.

Speakers are so difficult to recommend because they are somewhat different and everyone have different tastes. A huge simplification is more expensive is better but thats not always true, though for the most part a 500$ speaker is usually quite a step up from a 200$ one. Listening in stores is always difficult because its noisy, they play loud, often short and it isnt the same as your room but its a good idea to go to a decent store and listen to a few different price range speakers and a few different brands. Make sure they dont play it too loud and using a phone dB app so they are somewhat same volume can be a good idea.

Get the same brand center speaker, same line or if movies/tv is what you use it for by a large margin a step up might also work very well if similar. The center is the most important for tv/movies.

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
Speaker power ratings dont really say anything but sensitivity does as does the ohm rating(if honest). If you get 4ohm speakers they will be a bit harder to drive for the amp so something to keep in mind. A low sensitivity rating will also require more power for a set volume at the listening position. 86dB is low but 88dB is fine, nothing wrong with lower but might need more power.

Speakers are so difficult to recommend because they are somewhat different and everyone have different tastes. A huge simplification is more expensive is better but thats not always true, though for the most part a 500$ speaker is usually quite a step up from a 200$ one. Listening in stores is always difficult because its noisy, they play loud, often short and it isnt the same as your room but its a good idea to go to a decent store and listen to a few different price range speakers and a few different brands. Make sure they dont play it too loud and using a phone dB app so they are somewhat same volume can be a good idea.

Get the same brand center speaker, same line or if movies/tv is what you use it for by a large margin a step up might also work very well if similar. The center is the most important for tv/movies.

Much appreciated. What is the significance of matching brand?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General

For the front 3 its to keep the sound the same or pretty much the same when panning left to right or a car going from center off to side for example, mixing brands or if too dissimilar by same brand you can get a big change in how it sounds and that is very distracting. The surrounds or atmos speakers can be something else as it isnt so critical and we hear differently when behind or high up anyway.
Thats not to say mixing brands front and center cant work but its difficult and risky unless you really really know what you are doing and know all the speakers very well.(or have no choice)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I’d say no significance initially but imo in the long run it’s important to try and match the rear too. To me it’s not the front of the room, and the back of the room. It’s ONE room. But as your starting out, do what you can do. I’ve have some Frankenstein setups. It’s a good way to learn. I don’t know what you have for a budget but if I were you, I would focus on a good set of LCR and definitely subwoofers. 20x15 is too big for the subs you have and the little bookshelf speakers will struggle. Especially if you’re on concrete, or have many other open areas, or high ceilings.

2channel lover

Brand matching typically equates to tonal matching...the mid and tweeter range ideally should be similar across the front 3 speakers.

As voices pan across the room and move from speaker to speaker you want it sound the same....uniform might be the word I'm looking for.

Post #14 touches on it...and I agree...rear speakers don't NEED to match, but with some of this multi-ch music and now movie sound tracks...the days of afterthought rear speakers should be revisited.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like and agree with the advice given so far. I want to add the complication, that depending on the age and initial cost of your AVR, stepping up to a more modern one may well offer some improvements in sound quality. I went from a low cost Onkyo as part of an old HTIB rig to my Marantz, using the same speakers from that box set up, and the sound quality change was subtle but noticeable.
The biggest change was in the signal processing and less distortion. That old subwoofer sounded new... I could run it hotter with less issues when it was connected to the Marantz.
So:
Speakers are usually where you go for sound quality.
Better subs will always be a significant aid.
But a new receiver may well be an improvement too.

Check out, for example, the Denon 3500 and 4500. Last years models available at a nice discount! Solid units by all accounts.

Careful planning and smart shopping can help you to a new rig. And good advice from friends here! :)

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
I like and agree with the advice given so far. I want to add the complication, that depending on the age and initial cost of your AVR, stepping up to a more modern one may well offer some improvements in sound quality. I went from a low cost Onkyo as part of an old HTIB rig to my Marantz, using the same speakers from that box set up, and the sound quality change was subtle but noticeable.
The biggest change was in the signal processing and less distortion. That old subwoofer sounded new... I could run it hotter with less issues when it was connected to the Marantz.
So:
Speakers are usually where you go for sound quality.
Better subs will always be a significant aid.
But a new receiver may well be an improvement too.

Check out, for example, the Denon 3500 and 4500. Last years models available at a nice discount! Solid units by all accounts.

Careful planning and smart shopping can help you to a new rig. And good advice from friends here! :)
Being I have just bought a house and all the money spent renovating. I will pose this question as I'm relatively tight on money. I came across a 5 speaker set (center, 2 towers and 2 surround) of klipsch synergy 2 for 400.. I know they are quality speakers but would I be better with a 5.1 or 5.2 klipsch set or my 7.2 onkyo speaker set? Am I going to get THAT much difference in the speakers to make up for the 2 less speakers?

splatterman49

splatterman49

Enthusiast
Being I have just bought a house and all the money spent renovating. I will pose this question as I'm relatively tight on money. I came across a 5 speaker set (center, 2 towers and 2 surround) of klipsch synergy 2 for 400.. I know they are quality speakers but would I be better with a 5.1 or 5.2 klipsch set or my 7.2 onkyo speaker set? Am I going to get THAT much difference in the speakers to make up for the 2 less speakers?

Or I could...? add 2 onkyo speakers but then I run into having another Frankenstein. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but I was raised a penny pincher. So few things I will buy fresh out of the box.. just the way I am

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I respectfully will not comment as I am not a fan of the big K. ;)
end of the day, it is your rig, your ducats.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis