AfterLife2's Setup Finally...Brace Yourself and Always Thankful To My Audioholics FriendS.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I got lucky again today. I recently was looking for a Appo SACD/DVD-A Player online for a couple of weeks, but even though they were reasonably priced I held back. Something told me to go to the thrift store today. I carried only $28 bucks. Well if I didn't see a Minty Denon sacd/dvd-a for 12.99!!! Holy moly I almost cried tears of joy. Of course after that I looked at the cds and found some good stuff as well:
View attachment 32756
View attachment 32755
View attachment 32757
That's my 1920!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Mine is the 1940C1.
I remember that the difference in xo's was 100Hz on mine and yours is 80 Hz for the multi channel bass management. The sub out is about 10 db down so be ready for -12 on the mains and +10 on the sub. I have 2 subs on that set up. It's weird but it works fine.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I remember that the difference in xo's was 100Hz on mine and yours is 80 Hz for the multi channel bass management. The sub out is about 10 db down so be ready for -12 on the mains and +10 on the sub. I have 2 subs on that set up. It's weird but it works fine.
Thanks for the info! How do you hook yours up via HDMI, Optical or RCA? Do you listen to SACD, DVD-audio, DTS Audio or CD?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Analog for audio from the 5.1 channel analog audio out and component video simply because my rec'r doesn't have any more HDMI ins and I don't want to use a switch. When I did use HDMI my recollection is that I liked 720p over the 1080i. Using a static image on a calibration disc, I got to go back and forth to figure it out.

I think there's like a glitch in them when you say manually hit the off button while the video is stopped, it freezes and has to be unplugged to reset. The details escape me but I do remember having to unplug at least once.

So I have a Sheryl Crow DVD w/ a DTS track that I prefer over the Dolby offerings. On DVD's I would always choose DTS over Dolby but I couldn't really give a good reason. I have a few SACDs and DVD-A discs that I enjoy but I really only hear them a few times a year and that's what the Denon is for. Otherwise I'm using a 300 CD changer or a BR player to play single discs.

I 'feel' like the Denon will give just about anybody a run for their money for video quality on a DVD. Ours is 14 years old and we paid $350. Actually it was a xmas gift from my g/f. She was misguided and misinformed but it was sorta cutting edge back then. The battle was on, which is better?

She actually thought it was a DVD Recorder. I don't think I had ever heard of DVD-A or SACD. It's a wonder we figured out how to plug it in.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Analog for audio from the 5.1 channel analog audio out and component video simply because my rec'r doesn't have any more HDMI ins and I don't want to use a switch. When I did use HDMI my recollection is that I liked 720p over the 1080i. Using a static image on a calibration disc, I got to go back and forth to figure it out.

I think there's like a glitch in them when you say manually hit the off button while the video is stopped, it freezes and has to be unplugged to reset. The details escape me but I do remember having to unplug at least once.

So I have a Sheryl Crow DVD w/ a DTS track that I prefer over the Dolby offerings. On DVD's I would always choose DTS over Dolby but I couldn't really give a good reason. I have a few SACDs and DVD-A discs that I enjoy but I really only hear them a few times a year and that's what the Denon is for. Otherwise I'm using a 300 CD changer or a BR player to play single discs.

I 'feel' like the Denon will give just about anybody a run for their money for video quality on a DVD. Ours is 14 years old and we paid $350. Actually it was a xmas gift from my g/f. She was misguided and misinformed but it was sorta cutting edge back then. The battle was on, which is better?

She actually thought it was a DVD Recorder. I don't think I had ever heard of DVD-A or SACD. It's a wonder we figured out how to plug it in.
Thanks for the thorough feedback, Alex. The OPPO 980 I had I used optical and HDMI. I might try the 5.1 channel analog audio out and component video as well. I'll be mostly using the Denon mostly for DTS, SACD & DVD-A. Everything is coming along great thanks to these thrift shop. All I need is my Turntable and I'm done this year.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I might try the 5.1 channel analog audio out and component video as well.
I'm only using component because I'm out of HDMI ins on my rec'r. I expect the Denon puts its best picture out over HDMI and I believe the Denon does better upscaling/upconverting (?) DVDs than either the PS3 or a couple of Panny BR players I have owned.

Your Oppo might have put MCM out over HDMI but the Denon won't.
You have to use the 5.1 outs to play SACD and DVD-A.

All I need is my Turntable and I'm done this year.
I thought you had one based on your sig. They are more trouble than they're worth but it's part of the sickness. Or are you in denial? :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's a great find! That's actually something missing from my setup. I don't think I have anything that plays SACDs. Unless my Xbox or PC does. I don't think they do...
Pc can. Foobar2000 has a plugin. Not nearly as straight forward as using a stand alone player...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pc can. Foobar2000 has a plugin. Not nearly as straight forward as using a stand alone player...
I did not know this.

Do you also need anything special on the optical drive? Surely not just any optical drive will read SACD?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm only using component because I'm out of HDMI ins on my rec'r. I expect the Denon puts its best picture out over HDMI and I believe the Denon does better upscaling/upconverting (?) DVDs than either the PS3 or a couple of Panny BR players I have owned.

Your Oppo might have put MCM out over HDMI but the Denon won't.
You have to use the 5.1 outs to play SACD and DVD-A.

I thought you had one based on your sig. They are more trouble than they're worth but it's part of the sickness. Or are you in denial? :)
OH snap thanks Alex. Well I better order some cables for the sacd/DVD-audio. I thought hdmi or optical would work. Dang I can't complain at the price I got it. o_O :oops::cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, that's good to know! I do use Foobar2000 for all of my music and have dived into some of the more advanced settings so I'm sorta familiar with the interface. I guess my next move would be to find some SACDs I'd actually want.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Magoo! I know I couldn't find the first one. I checked again this past weekend but it wasn't there. I think the other volumes I have most of Patsy's well known songs though. I'll keep checking though.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I did not know this.

Do you also need anything special on the optical drive? Surely not just any optical drive will read SACD?
I don't think there are any requirements on the drive, but decoding the file/stream is what's the issue with most players.

Here is a quick guide. I think I have a .dsf (DSD) file somewhere I ripped, but it's been so long ago it'll take a min to find.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, that's good to know! I do use Foobar2000 for all of my music and have dived into some of the more advanced settings so I'm sorta familiar with the interface. I guess my next move would be to find some SACDs I'd actually want.
I'd find out if you can get the plugin to work first. It's been a long time since it was in development. I may have a sample file somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I did not know this.

Found the sample site. Has all sorts of stuff.

http://www.2l.no/hires/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Found the sample site. Has all sorts of stuff.

http://www.2l.no/hires/
Okay, I did some plugin googling, downloaded some stuff, installed some stuff and I can play files from the "Stereo DSD 256 11.2896Mbit/s" column with Foobar now. When I tried before getting the plugin I got a file read error. I'm assuming I did it right then? Lol

*Edit: That looks right! Yay!

Screenshot_2019-12-18-15-35-18-1.png

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Look what I found today at the thrift store finally for $12.99. I also got something that I thought I'd never own stay tuned. o_O :eek: :p Needs some cleaning, head cartridge and new belt more pics later when I get home:
IMG_20191226_124624_681.jpg

More pics added here:

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis