Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I listened to that whole You-tube video and have come to the following conclusions:

- Separate AVP/or C are better, less jam-packed, not affected by the power amp section.
- AVR such as the RX-A3080 have internal amps that can be used for some less demanding "effect" channels.

So given that typically an "equivalent" AVR could be had just before or after the replacement model is out, for much less money that an AVP/C, one can do better in terms of value, without sacrificing sound quality.

In this case, the CX-A5200 could not even beat (in all likelihood) the RX-A3080 that is now available for under $1,500.

Reliability is an unknown, one would think the AVP/C would likely last longer but again, may be not, and the heat issue can be mitigated with a $10 quiet fan on slow speed.

If it is the WAF restriction, I would be very tempted to try out a RX-A3080 now.
I think Separate AVPs and Amps don't sound better than AVRs in general.

But some AVPs look a lot cleaner/neater on the inside than most AVRs. :D

AVPs might have the advantage in the Pre-out Voltage section, but for most cases it's not that critical since most people don't have to sit that far or listen that loud.

And then there's the intangible factors like pride of ownership and bragging-rights among friends and family for Separates AVPs and Amps. :D

If I can just sell my Denon AVR-5308 on Craigslist, I will probably get the Yamaha RX-A3080 to replace it in the living room.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think Separate AVPs and Amps don't sound better than AVRs in general.

But some AVPs look a lot cleaner/neater on the inside than most AVRs. :D

AVPs might have the advantage in the Pre-out Voltage section, but for most cases it's not that critical since most people don't have to sit that far or listen that loud.

And then there's the intangible factors like pride of ownership and bragging-rights among friends and family for Separates AVPs and Amps. :D

If I can just sell my Denon AVR-5308 on Craigslist, I will probably get the Yamaha RX-A3080 to replace it in the living room.
Yep avp/c typically would or should have relatively higher output though 2V is higher enough for most people who own 200/250 W amps with 28 dB or higher gain. $1485 for the 3080 is an incredible deal.

P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
The same price. Here in Finland.

Last edited:
P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
Hah! I could fly to the Netherlands, pickup the CX-5200 and fly back and it would still be cheaper than the cheapest price here.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pricing is weird in the Netherlands. Or is it? :D

The RX-A3080 AVR ($2,000 US) is MORE expensive than the CX-A5200 Pre-pro ($2,700 US) in the Netherlands.

So are the internal COMPONENTS in the RX-A3080 more expensive than the internal components in the CX-A5200?

Last edited:
P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
What is the default DAC filter? I have tested them all out, but cannot remember the default one.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Pricing is weird in the Netherlands. Or is it? :D

The RX-A3080 AVR ($2,000 US) is MORE expensive than the CX-A5200 Pre-pro ($2,700 US) in the Netherlands.
$2,000? is that the original list price, it was $1,485 Amazon price a week or so ago, now it is back up to $1,599 but will likely come back down again.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What is the default DAC filter? I have tested them all out, but cannot remember the default one.
Does the manual not say anything? I guess default should probably be the slowest roll off. In any event you do a factory reset, if that bothers you.:D Or try your luck and ask Yamaha customer/tech support.

P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
Does the manual not say anything? I guess default should probably be the slowest roll off. In any event you do a factory reset, if that bothers you.:D Or try your luck and ask Yamaha customer/tech support.
It does not say anything. The Short Delay Filter is underlined, so not sure if that mean "default".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bottom line about the current Yamaha AVP: the CX-A5200 doesn’t have quite the State of the Art (SOTA) measurements that the CX-A5100 has. But in terms of actual real life sound quality, the CX-A5200 sounds just as awesome.

So for now until the CX-A5300 comes out:

1. If you want SOTA MEASUREMENTS, then try to get the CX-A5100.

2. If you just care about actual real life sound quality and can deal with not-quite-SOTA measurements, then get the CX-A5200 that sounds just as awesome.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Bottom line about the current Yamaha AVP: the CX-A5200 doesn’t have quite the State of the Art (SOTA) measurements that the CX-A5100 has. But in terms of actual real life sound quality, the CX-A5200 sounds just as awesome.

So for now until the CX-A5300 comes out:

1. If you want SOTA MEASUREMENTS, then try to get the CX-A5100.

2. If you just care about actual real life sound quality and can deal with not-quite-SOTA measurements, then get the CX-A5200 that sounds just as awesome.
Practically speaking, I highly doubt even 0.1% THD+N (70 dB SINAD) or the SOTA class 0.002% (94 dB SINAD) are audibly different to a lot of the typically relatively well off and likely older:D separate users. However, in this case there is obviously something wrong with the design and/or implementation that caused the higher distortions in the FL/FR channels. If I were to use XLR, I would therefore definitely go for the CX-A5100. To me it is a matter of principle, not practicality/reality.

R

red_5ive

Enthusiast
Cost aside, can anyone give me a compelling reason to "upgrade" from an RX-A3080 (which I use as a preamp) to the CX-A5200? One of the reasons I''d prefer the 5200 is not having the power consumption overhead of the internal amps of an AVR vs a dedicated pre-pro, assuming that the 3080 itself does not shut off the internal amps when an outboard amp is used (I'm not sure if this is the case or not).

I'm not as critical with music as I once was, but that said the 3080 sounds EXCELLENT to my ears in terms of overall sound quality with both music and movies. However, I swear every time I fire it up, I always think about the unnecessary power consumption of the internal amps, to the point that it's probably chronic, and more-so when I'm listening to 2-channel music since I have a dedicated 2-channel amp for the mains. I realize this might be a silly reason to upgrade, but either way I've always preferred a dedicated processor anyway. But if there's a noticeable difference in audio quality between the 3080 as a preamp and the 5200, then that'd definitely push me toward the 5200.

Thoughts?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis