Velodyne DD12 repair

M

mattk

Audiophyte
The Velodyne DD12 sub is making motor boarding sounds (static). I've read through the threads, reached out to Velodyne (they no longer support), and reached out to a few repairs shops who no longer have the circuit board to replace.

I am wondering if there is a way to get it repaired? If so, from where and how much should it cost? Is it worth it?
Alternatively, is there a way to replace the panel with another different brand that would work? If so, then which one and where to buy one?

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you can't find a shop that can get parts....might be time to give up on the amp. I believe that's a servo type sub, that could be an issue in using another amp from my understanding of servo subs. Tuning in more as I'm interested what the options are....

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
The Velodyne DD12 sub is making motor boarding sounds (static). I've read through the threads, reached out to Velodyne (they no longer support),and reached out to a few repairs shops who no longer have the circuit board to replace.

I am wondering if there is a way to get it repaired? If so, from where and how much should it cost? Is it worth it?
Alternatively, is there a way to replace the panel with another different brand that would work? If so, then which one and where to buy one?

Thanks!
My recommendation is, before you spend on the circuitry of the subwoofer, try localizing the problem whether it is mechanical motor problem from the driver or the amplifier. By doing so will help in deciding your next step. Try disconnecting the driver from the internal amplifier plate, and use an external power amplifier to power and test the woofer for any mechanical problems. Assuming the Driver is ok and has no problems, I would ask myself whether if I should power the subwoofer via external amplification like a passive subwoofer, eliminating the connection of the internal amplifier, or try to buy a subwoofer amplifier plate to replace the original. There are subwoofer amplifier plates which can be used, but some modification maybe necessary. I hope this helps.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
My recommendation is, before you spend on the circuitry of the subwoofer, try localizing the problem whether it is mechanical motor problem from the driver or the amplifier. By doing so will help in deciding your next step. Try disconnecting the driver from the internal amplifier plate, and use an external power amplifier to power and test the woofer for any mechanical problems. Assuming the Driver is ok and has no problems, I would ask myself whether if I should power the subwoofer via external amplification like a passive subwoofer, eliminating the connection of the internal amplifier, or try to buy a subwoofer amplifier plate to replace the original. There are subwoofer amplifier plates which can be used, but some modification maybe necessary. I hope this helps.
Good advice. If it's determined that the driver itself is bad, Parts Express has very capable 12" drivers in the $130 range. Though, from reading the specs, the DD12 amp puts out 1,250 watts (RMS) and the Parts Express woofers might not be capable of handling that kind of power. I was then going to suggest FI Audio, but realized their "Home Theater" subwoofers are only available in 18". Bah! Time to keep looking for drivers to suggest, in the event that is your issue.

Hamid Khan

Hamid Khan

Junior Audioholic
Good advice. If it's determined that the driver itself is bad, Parts Express has very capable 12" drivers in the $130 range. Though, from reading the specs, the DD12 amp puts out 1,250 watts (RMS) and the Parts Express woofers might not be capable of handling that kind of power. I was then going to suggest FI Audio, but realized their "Home Theater" subwoofers are only available in 18". Bah! Time to keep looking for drivers to suggest, in the event that is your issue.
It is fine to have more power in a powered amplifier or head room to drive a speaker(s), but not vice versa. The speaker or subwoofer in this case only draw the power it needs. But if you have an under powered amplifier and it reaches its limit in providing the power needed, you will experience clipping, over heating among other factors which could ruin the driver.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think it's worth it. I'd ditch the sub. There are so many good choices available today at reasonable prices.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I don't think it's worth it. I'd ditch the sub. There are so many good choices available today at reasonable prices.
Also, a good point. I did a little digging and back in 2004, the Velodyne DD12 was a $2,995 subwoofer. My local retailer has "open box" versions of the SVS SB-4000 that they sell on Ebay for $1,169 - with free shipping. Might be a better move to spring for something like that. I've recently checked out the Velodyne web site - they don't have too many offerings. I guess back in the day, Circuit City and other like retailers were a successful outlet for Velodyne to peddle their goods.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, a good point. I did a little digging and back in 2004, the Velodyne DD12 was a $2,995 subwoofer. My local retailer has "open box" versions of the SVS SB-4000 that they sell on Ebay for $1,169 - with free shipping. Might be a better move to spring for something like that. I've recently checked out the Velodyne web site - they don't have too many offerings. I guess back in the day, Circuit City and other like retailers were a successful outlet for Velodyne to peddle their goods.
Velodyne has pretty much concentrated on other areas (car/lidar IIRC) than audio last several years.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
David Hall, essentially the owner of Velodyne Acoustics, has moved on to become a LIDAR billionaire, so the subwoofer business is not getting any attention. As you figured out, Velodyne out-sourced all product support and parts are very scarce. If my Velodyne sub breaks I'm moving on. SVS is a good choice, but there are several other highly recommended and cost-effective brands. The search function on this site will find numerous recommendations and reviews for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis