What's your Favorite decade and Genre of music

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have pretty eclectic taste when it comes to music, although I did go through my phase when anything I didn't like - such as disco - sucked, subjectively and objectively. As I've aged, I've mellowed in my opinions. I can even listen to ABBA, in small doses.

I never really cared for Prince's music, but I respect him as a musician. His guitar playing skills alone were amazing.

When I first heard Rap, I figured that it was a genre invented so that people who couldn't sing could still become "musicians". Although I still find it virtually unlistenable, I don't pass judgement on it anymore, as I'm sure there is artistic merit to much of it. Just because I/we might not like it, doesn't mean it's objectively bad.

I like classical, jazz, blues, some world music, rock from all decades and sub-genres, folk/traditional/Celtic/Americana. I like some country, although pretty much all of the artists I like have been dead for a while.

There are quite a few current Indy artists that I like. Good music is still being made, but it's difficult for newer musicians to make a living in the business.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I have pretty eclectic taste when it comes to music, although I did go through my phase when anything I didn't like - such as disco - sucked, subjectively and objectively. As I've aged, I've mellowed in my opinions. I can even listen to ABBA, in small doses.

I never really cared for Prince's music, but I respect him as a musician. His guitar playing skills alone were amazing.

When I first heard Rap, I figured that it was a genre invented so that people who couldn't sing could still become "musicians". Although I still find it virtually unlistenable, I don't pass judgement on it anymore, as I'm sure there is artistic merit to much of it. Just because I/we might not like it, doesn't mean it's objectively bad.

I like classical, jazz, blues, some world music, rock from all decades and sub-genres, folk/traditional/Celtic/Americana. I like some country, although pretty much all of the artists I like have been dead for a while.

There are quite a few current Indy artists that I like. Good music is still being made, but it's difficult for newer musicians to make a living in the business.
Pretty much agree with your statements, and if your taste's are considered eclectic, well then so are mine.
I also am no fan of rap or hip-hop, ( I could go in deep as to why it pretty much disgust's me, bit i'm trying to be polite today) and Prince as you had talent, his music was just a little strange to me, but he did have skills.

One artist who I could never appreciate or allow to be played in my home, was Michael Jackson. To this day, I still do not get people's infatuation with him or his music. Simply put, I found it down right awful.

I as you, can appreciate all kinds of styles and genre's of music. However I still stand firm, doesn't matter the genre, there is good music and then there is bad music. And so much of todays music, is just bad. So I really feel bad for the youth of today, all this bad music is being force fed to them. Most don't know what good music or recordings sound like unless they have some relative or somebody willing to take the time and introduce them to some classics.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of the kids I've talked to agree that today's music sucks and appreciate some of the now older music I grew up on. My son listens to a lot of the music I do with a little bit of contemporary.

One area that seems to be producing some good music is youtube, believe it or not. I'm subscribed to a couple of musicians with home studios that produce their own music. A couple of them play every instrument. Leo, from Frog leap studios is one that comes to mind.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
A lot of the kids I've talked to agree that today's music sucks and appreciate some of the now older music I grew up on. My son listens to a lot of the music I do with a little bit of contemporary.

One area that seems to be producing some good music is youtube, believe it or not. I'm subscribed to a couple of musicians with home studios that produce their own music. A couple of them play every instrument. Leo, from Frog leap studios is one that comes to mind.
Another great source is Bandcamp - lot's and lots of independent acts of just about every genre imaginable. I also like Soundcloud for the same reasons.

This is a fantastic resource that I subscribe to: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread.644595/ I have been exposed to some awesome music on this thread, even from some of the major labels.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another great source is Bandcamp - lot's and lots of independent acts of just about every genre imaginable. I also like Soundcloud for the same reasons.

This is a fantastic resource that I subscribe to: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread.644595/ I have been exposed to some awesome music on this thread, even from some of the major labels.
A couple of Leo's popular videos. He's a heavy metal guy, so heads up on that, lol. They're both collaborations with other youtubers. There's a pretty solid community there.

Eye of the Tiger

Africa

Check out his channel. He has a ton of covers and a bunch of how to videos as well as original material. What impresses me the most is how talented he is. In a lot of his videos he plays every instrument himself and does all his own mixing and editing. His first love seems to be guitar, but I can't find fault in his drumming. He's very good on the skins too. He just released an original album I think, too...

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
For those of you who like Rock, blues and Jazz. You should take a listen to Dee DEE Bridgewater version of Hound Dog.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
For those of you who like Rock, blues and Jazz. You should take a listen to Dee DEE Bridgewater version of Hound Dog.
You might like another version of that song recorded at Sun Studios, by The Sheepdogs.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Pretty much agree with your statements, and if your taste's are considered eclectic, well then so are mine.
I also am no fan of rap or hip-hop, ( I could go in deep as to why it pretty much disgust's me, bit i'm trying to be polite today) and Prince as you had talent, his music was just a little strange to me, but he did have skills.

One artist who I could never appreciate or allow to be played in my home, was Michael Jackson. To this day, I still do not get people's infatuation with him or his music. Simply put, I found it down right awful.

I as you, can appreciate all kinds of styles and genre's of music. However I still stand firm, doesn't matter the genre, there is good music and then there is bad music. And so much of todays music, is just bad. So I really feel bad for the youth of today, all this bad music is being force fed to them. Most don't know what good music or recordings sound like unless they have some relative or somebody willing to take the time and introduce them to some classics.
I don't hear much "bad" music, because I don't listen to "popular" radio stations or streaming sources. Most new music I hear is from CBC 2 radio and their streaming service. I rarely listen to local classic rock stations anymore, because I can't stand the inane banter and the ads between songs. Luckily, I have a pretty extensive collection of my favourite artists' albums.

I hear you on the rap/hip-hop thing. But, I think much of the bad "rap" the genre gets is due to the gangster artists with there misogynistic and violent lyrics. Many rap artists do produce thought-provoking material with artistic merit. Regardless, I find the genre to jarring to listen to, for the most part.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't hear much "bad" music, because I don't listen to "popular" radio stations or streaming sources. Most new music I hear is from CBC 2 radio and their streaming service. I rarely listen to local classic rock stations anymore, because I can't stand the inane banter and the ads between songs. Luckily, I have a pretty extensive collection of my favourite artists' albums.

I hear you on the rap/hip-hop thing. But, I think much of the bad "rap" the genre gets is due to the gangster artists with there misogynistic and violent lyrics. Many rap artists do produce thought-provoking material with artistic merit. Regardless, I find the genre to jarring to listen to, for the most part.
I began to hate commercial radio in the early-'80s when the local stations started buying playlists and that hasn't changed. I had listened to the station at MSOE when I was there and hanging out in the dorms with friends,- it was originally for a small area to reach the dorms and I started again when they got their license to transmit over a wider area. I was driving home one day and had heard enough of the crap being spewed by the locals, so I hit the scan button on the car stereo and I eventually herd something interesting, so I left it on that station, which I saw was a new frequency. I didn't hear them introduce the music and I had never heard it before, but I was pretty sure who it was and as it turned out, they played the whole album. I got home before they finished, so I sat in the car and listened to the rest of it- King Crimson, Discipline.

They stream by going to www.wmse.org and their shows are archived. It's college radio, so the announcing is less than professional, but they play a lot of great music of almost all genres. If I listen to the radio for music, this is my station and it has been for over 35 years.

As far as your comments about rap & Hip Hop- I think they mean it to be jarring but that's not what I want in music, so I don't listen to it, either. I hate their use of auto-tune, one note bass lines, clickety percussion sounds, sampling other peoples' music and not giving them credit, the lack of melody and the sound of the lyrics.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In the last several years the only times I've enjoyed radio much is with a few different college stations. The commercial ones are so formulaic now as to be a joke.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
In the last several years the only times I've enjoyed radio much is with a few different college stations. The commercial ones are so formulaic now as to be a joke.
So very true. There is only two stations here I enjoy. One that plays classic rock and been around since the 60's. And the other plays commercial free classical in HD.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed KNTU licensed to the University of North Texas is my favorite FM station here in the DFW area.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
While I do enjoy many Different types, styles and decades of music. In the past few years have found myself listening to more and more Jazz, Blues and classical music. However, I still generally fall back to my all time fav's. 60's and mainly 70's classic Rock.

This sounds very much like me 10 years ago.
I stared to have trouble listening to Stairway To Heaven for the 10 millionth time. I realized I was buying the same old records in new formats or new masters.
In my quest for new sounds I too turned to Jazz, Blues and Classical.
Then one day I realized I was listening almost exclusively to classical, about 5 years ago. I took a couple college courses in classical music history and have pretty much become consumed in the genre. My biggest regret is that I was so old when I discovered Classical. I simply don't have enough years left to understand the genre as I do rock.

I know what you mean about falling back to the 70's stuff but I am past that. It started to sound hollow, unprofessional, if you will after years of classical.

Maybe you are not such a bad guy after all! ;)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I think if you had to cut down to specific years classic rock would be 1967-76. I've heard as big as 65-80 but that's a lot. Of course there were great bands like Heart who have the classic rock sound but don't quite fall into the era since disco came along with them.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I laughed when someone said the guitar was the best instrument of the 80s, but most defining well that's the synthesizer.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Well now that I've completely gone off topic worth a look.....

One of the finest pieces of engineering I've ever heard in music. I believe that was Alan Wilder. I can't explain it but you can tell Martin Gore has a classical background. The instrumentation is exactly where it's supposed to be. DM were never a truly great albums band, but the singles off Violator, Blasphemous Rumors, and People are People are about as fine as there has been. For some reason every time I think of electro their name comes up first.

I can't understand
what makes a man
hate another man
help me understand.

Such thoughtful lyrics at such a young age. And the outro is sublime. To get the message across it kinda had to be pop for the masses. They were inducted as part of the 2020 class. A no brainer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis