What's your Favorite decade and Genre of music

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
While I do enjoy many different types, styles and decades of music. In the past few years have found myself listening to more and more Jazz, Blues and classical music. However, I still generally fall back to my all time fav's. 60's and mainly 70's classic Rock.
Similar to what I like. I guess a lot depends on what was new & hip when we were young.

I've always liked mid to later 60s and early 70s rock music. In addition, I liked Memphis, but not Detroit, soul. Booker T & the MGs et al. get better and better with time, but some other very popular stuff from that time I find embarrassing if I drag them out and play them again. An example of that is most (but not all) Jefferson Airplane. Two bands which continue to sound good over the years are the Grateful Dead and Little Feat.

By the mid to later 70s rockers were aging and rock music was dying. Disco was like the plague or a bad flu epidemic, it killed off most of those music careers, many of which were already on life support.

The 80s, in my opinion, were a musical lost decade. It was populated by the survivors of the Great Disco Plague. Madonna was the poster child of that bleak world. Like the un-dead Vampires of Dracula legend, she continues to think she's relevant, much less a musician.

As a high school kid, I played in the band and orchestra, but quit playing before graduating and heading off to college. In the last two decades, I've happily rediscovered my repressed love of classical music. Last night I saw the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (the other BSO) perform Stravinsky's Pucinella, a delight I hadn't known of before.

I've also been slowly rediscovering 60s & 70s jazz, mainly the type of jazz that was a love child of R&B and earlier jazz. Think of King Curtis or Jimmy Smith.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know if I have a favorite decade, but I s'pose the 90's have produced some of my favorite music. I grew up in the 70's and 80's tho so there's quite a bit from that era that I love as well. I think starting around the 2000s music started slipping downhill and with a few exceptions has been in a slow but steady decline since.

Genre isn't easy to nail down either but my tastes are definitely on the heavy side. Progressive metal and rock is probably what I listen to the most. TOOL is pretty easily my favorite band. I've recently discovered and gotten into Meshuggah and Soen, both are alt/prog/metal. I also love Neil Young, Alanis Morisette, Blues Traveler, Metallica, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd so I'm capable of diversifying, lol.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
AGREED- but for one exception. I have to admit, I kind of enjoy Terry Jack's Season in the Sun
Strangely, as a kid in the 70s... I have fond memories of Captain and Tennille... Including... *gulps ...Muskrat Love.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Strangely, as a kid in the 70s... I have fond memories of Captain and Tennille... Including... *gulps ...Muskrat Love.
Totally understand, what's really sad, is even the so called bad music of the 70's, is still better than most of what is being released today.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Totally understand, what's really sad, is even the so called bad music of the 70's, is still better than most of what is being released today.
A little part of me dies every time I hear AutoTune used as a vocal effect. I will never forgive Cher for being the first.
That said, the state of modern pop music seems to have slowly and steadily degraded over the decades. Now when my younger friends put music on, my skin crawls. Few get it. Sort of like me back when I was 5 listening to my dads cassette of... Captain and Tennille.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Omg. I loved Disco Duck and ABBA when I was a kid (6 or 7 yrs old)! I had that Disney cassette tape and used to play it on my little red tape player that I took everywhere with me.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
New wave from late seventies to mid eighties. WE loved to dance to Blondie, Pretenders, talking heads, etc... Most of us hated disco in the mid to late seventies. Thank god for Petty, Seger, and Springsteen. I'm much older now but those were fun times,

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A little part of me dies every time I hear AutoTune used as a vocal effect. I will never forgive Cher for being the first.
That said, the state of modern pop music seems to have slowly and steadily degraded over the decades. Now when my younger friends put music on, my skin crawls. Few get it. Sort of like me back when I was 5 listening to my dads cassette of... Captain and Tennille.
She wasn't the first to use AutoTune, but she may have been the first (most likely, it was a matter of someone setting it wrong) to use it so blatantly and annoyingly.

IMO, if someone can't sing to pitch, they should do something else.

Don't need none of that damn catterwauling! Now get off my lawn!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I can even listen to a few disco songs now and then. Like once a year for 3 songs. LOL :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You may not like ABBA, but I bet you know most of their lyrics.
I can quite honestly say at this point in my life: NO. :p I know the sound, and usually find a way to leave wherever its playing. :D
She wasn't the first to use AutoTune, but she may have been the first (most likely, it was a matter of someone setting it wrong) to use it so blatantly and annoyingly.
FWIW:
Don't need none of that damn catterwauling! Now get off my lawn!
Too true! ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have to say mid-late 60s thru much of the 70s so maybe a decade plus. Mostly for folk, rock, blues and jazz (altho probably more late 50s/early 60s for jazz now) plus those were the years I first started listening to music and buying better audio gear to play it on. I did gather a fair amount of 80s stuff but not much of it gets played any more. Newer than that not a whole lot comes to mind.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You may not like ABBA, but I bet you know most of their lyrics.
LOL!

But now I have to reveal a deeply personal secret. Most every morning, unless I'm sick or have slept extremely poorly, I wake up with what I call the "Song of the Day" playing in my head. It can be anything randomly selected from my memory banks. It can include good stuff, awful stuff, or commercial jingles from decades old TV advertisements. It doesn't matter if I loved it or hated it. And yes, it can include the Captain & Tennile, Alvin & the Chipmunks, or the Flintstones theme song. But I'm proud to realize that I don't ever recall waking up to ABBA. Life can be surprisingly good if we only realize it could easily be worse :).

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
The decade of the '80 for all round music and entertainment....but definitely the R&B of that time!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis