The theater room is starting!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay lowered the surrounds and that improved the sound DRAMATICALLY still need to switch over to monopole surrounds but I'm going to wait a lil bit

My long term goal is to just buy 4 more 590's when they go on sale and just call it a day. That would be 7 590's for my base layer audio nirvana!!!!!!

Orrrr if I like this new JBL HDI speaker lineup might end up going with that direction we shall see Lol. Gonna sit back and see how it plays out.

Oh yeah this next year buy 2 PC 4000's for the back that'll be a fun thread to start on integrating them together

Here's some pics of the surrounds lowered

20191118_135551.jpg
20191118_135530.jpg
20191118_135524.jpg
20191118_135626.jpg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
That turned out great indeed. I love it when folks post pictures of their actual setups. It removes a lot of mental guessing. I think you did a wonderful job indeed.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey thanks you guys for all the compliments feedback and advice and constructive criticism which pushed me at times and is a big reason I've gotten this far!

This room wouldn't be here without all of you

I'm really enjoying it now my nephew and his wife who is recovering from a stroke are coming to visit next week and I can't wait to spend time with them in this room and enjoy there reactions moments like that are what this room was built for!

Don't forget my fellow audioholics if your traveling through San Antonio Texas PM me your more then welcome to stop by and have a listen would love to host and entertain you guys!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey thanks you guys for all the compliments feedback and advice and constructive criticism which pushed me at times and is a big reason I've gotten this far!

This room wouldn't be here without all of you

I'm really enjoying it now my nephew and his wife who is recovering from a stroke are coming to visit next week and I can't wait to spend time with them in this room and enjoy there reactions moments like that are what this room was built for!

Don't forget my fellow audioholics if your traveling through San Antonio Texas PM me your more then welcome to stop by and have a listen would love to host and entertain you guys!
Think you should be good now. ;)

The only reason I can think of to ever change would be to match tweeters with LCR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That looks so good Dan, I'm a little jelly! :p

Seriously tho, nice job. I'd love to check out a movie in it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks amazing dude. Congrats. Makes me miss my setup. Melancholy. Enjoy it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Think you should be good now. ;)

The only reason I can think of to ever change would be to match tweeters with LCR.
See there you go making my audioholic brain start tweaking on the whole matching tweeter thing! ;)

M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
Very nice setup and very cool thread to follow. It has given me some good ideas. If you’d be kind enough to answer I have a couple of question.
What is your seating distance from screen for both rows and what is the total distance from screen to back of last row?

What kind of seats are those?

At this point is there anything you wish you’d have done differently

Thanks for your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice setup and very cool thread to follow. It has given me some good ideas. If you’d be kind enough to answer I have a couple of question.
What is your seating distance from screen for both rows and what is the total distance from screen to back of last row?

What kind of seats are those?

At this point is there anything you wish you’d have done differently

Thanks for your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No problem at all I'm glad this thread has helped given you some ideas and I'm happy to answer questions heck that's how you guys got me started with all your help for me

Okay so distance from screen to front row is 9ft distance from screen to back row is 15ft

I'll need to lookup up the seats again the company was recommended by the vendor and I can't recall right now. They are amazing for the price especially they have a full recline both in neck and with the seat bottom a built in phone charger lights and a pull out tray for eating as well as drink holders and I believe they were 1000 to 1200 a seat a very very good buy for what you get. I'll look up the name for you tommorow

What I'd do differently oh man where to begin

I'd definetly have gone with the more expensive contractor the one guy saved me money but it's like you get what you pay for his crew was so horrible at somethings and very unprofessional

I would have paid for the whole thing I split the cost 50 50 with my pops and that caused issues with decisions I have to make compromises towards the end on speaker size for surrounds blah blah blah etc etc and when we needed to make changes it was a nightmare we just couldn't agree on anything

I would have made sure we had an agreement on how the speaker setup was going to be the layout and everything before we put the plan into motion

I wouldn't have bought a light rejecting screen in a completely light controlled dark room Id have used a white screen with the right gain to make that epson 6050 pop as best as it can on 4k content especially for colors

Don't get me wrong the picture is gorgeous BUT it could be even better

I would have been more aggressive and assertive on what I wanted and not compromised with my family and the vendor the back row is not centered which created havoc with surrounds and overheads you want seating to be symmetrical with the room

Do not use bipolar speakers for an object based format 7.2.4 surround sound system unless you have absolutely no choice

I should have bought more RSL C34e's for the overhead in ceilings I miss those overheads these sound great but the RSL were just as good in my old place for a fraction of the cost.

I'm a tower guy and I should have not compromised and got 7 identical studio 590's for the base 7 there really is nothing like it when your in the sweet spot having 7 identical towers panning and scanning the sound around the room for you

I would have built an acoustically transperent semi wall to cover the 590s and recessed the screen above to just further create that illusion of the sound coming from the screen

I'd have spent less on amps BUT I love the Anthem amps they are very very good and know I can't let them go I love them too much

I like my anthem AVM 60 prepro but I'd have taken my denon 4400H and just used it as a prepro until I buy the one I really want.

I'd already have 4 subs instead of just the 2 I have

I'd plan for surrounds for each row and have set up 3 rows for in ceilings multiple rows just needs better coverage if you want every seat to get perfect immersion unless I went with the 7 towers the 590s put out an amazing broad soundstage and imaging and are very placement friendly and have this uncanny ability to sound good at any volume level and not louder whether close up or far away even at high volumes I'd have split the rows with the 590s and called it a day

That covers a lot off stuff and I hope it helps!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't have bought a light rejecting screen in a completely light controlled dark room Id have used a white screen with the right gain to make that epson 6050 pop as best as it can on 4k content especially for colors

Don't get me wrong the picture is gorgeous BUT it could be even better
Thanks for spelling this out. In my experience, ALR screens actually devastate image quality and are a bad way to go in almost all installations. They are completely perfect for bright boardrooms and sports bars, but for home theater, you control the light, and once you do that, a white screen is the perfect choice.

The problem you should find, when you are being critical, is that the ALR screens typically have a bit of shimmer to them. Sparkling. This is common as you look at the screen and move up/down/left/right when viewing an on-screen image. As well, you typically find that brightness is not uniform across the screen. There is typically a tight half-angle on the image that causes the image to fade towards the edges away from the projected center. This also creates some hot spotting typically from the projector due to the reflective optics built into those screens.

Not that a great screen is that much less, as the DaLite HD Progressive material is very close in price to what most of the ALR screens cost. So, no money savings for a great white screen. But, a basic white screen, without ALR, can be had for just a few hundred bucks and will look better than any ALR screen I've seen to date.

It's certainly always an option if you do decide to sell your ALR screen and switch over to a standard white screen.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for spelling this out. In my experience, ALR screens actually devastate image quality and are a bad way to go in almost all installations. They are completely perfect for bright boardrooms and sports bars, but for home theater, you control the light, and once you do that, a white screen is the perfect choice.

The problem you should find, when you are being critical, is that the ALR screens typically have a bit of shimmer to them. Sparkling. This is common as you look at the screen and move up/down/left/right when viewing an on-screen image. As well, you typically find that brightness is not uniform across the screen. There is typically a tight half-angle on the image that causes the image to fade towards the edges away from the projected center. This also creates some hot spotting typically from the projector due to the reflective optics built into those screens.

Not that a great screen is that much less, as the DaLite HD Progressive material is very close in price to what most of the ALR screens cost. So, no money savings for a great white screen. But, a basic white screen, without ALR, can be had for just a few hundred bucks and will look better than any ALR screen I've seen to date.

It's certainly always an option if you do decide to sell your ALR screen and switch over to a standard white screen.
That is my plan when I'm ready to do some upgrades I plan on selling that screen and using the discount to buy a premium white screen in its place but I've got one or two projects to take care off before this happens

By the way thanks for all your helpful feedback when I was going through this process!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Please tell me you routed all that trim work yourself? The room is beautiful! I am envious of vertically stacked gear... I need to create a place to make that happen, in an open living room.

I recycled a bunch of my plywood cutoffs by rejoining them into panels, to build a typical horizontal entertainment center. I needed the space ready more quickly than building in a place for a vertical cabinet - which would shorten my HDMI cable... yet another reason I am holding off on 4K projection....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Please tell me you routed all that trim work yourself? The room is beautiful! I am envious of vertically stacked gear... I need to create a place to make that happen, in an open living room.

I recycled a bunch of my plywood cutoffs by rejoining them into panels, to build a typical horizontal entertainment center. I needed the space ready more quickly than building in a place for a vertical cabinet - which would shorten my HDMI cable... yet another reason I am holding off on 4K projection....
Thank you so much for the compliments no unfortunately I am not a finished level carpenter so I wasn't about to risk it especially on the trim running along the ceiling very very challenging I had a carpenter do the trim

In my old house my living room was combined into a theater room a multipurpose design and I sorely missed the inability to have vertical cabinets hopefully that's something you can change yourself when you have time?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you so much for the compliments no unfortunately I am not a finished level carpenter so I wasn't about to risk it especially on the trim running along the ceiling very very challenging I had a carpenter do the trim

In my old house my living room was combined into a theater room a multipurpose design and I sorely missed the inability to have vertical cabinets hopefully that's something you can change yourself when you have time?
Yes, it's just project #192 in my live-in renovation of 191 other unfinished projects.....

I did a similar cove routing along the top of floor moulding using mahogany. I applaud your choice of exposed grain and clear finish, it is really beautiful!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis