$1,900 Subwoofer Budget help

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
Why not just run Audyssey? @highfigh may be able to help, he's in Milwaukee area....
I did run Audyssey, but I've been reading that it might not calculate the phase of the subwoofer correctly. I was reading about it on the Rythmik site but it was a little confusing to me. Does Audyssey do eq changes also?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did run Audyssey, but I've been reading that it might not calculate the phase of the subwoofer correctly. I was reading about it on the Rythmik site but it was a little confusing to me. Does Audyssey do eq changes also?
You'd have to be more specific about Rythmik's piece, link it. Audyssey does a decent job I think of matching the phase with the speakers for as simple a setup as it is. What gear would you provide to implement further tweaking should the calibrator need such? Not much you can do to program the Denon outside of the Audyssey app, which you could do as well (are you using the app?).

Yes, Audyssey does implement an eq scheme if you ran it, but you can turn it off (and leave level/delays in place) easily enough, or use the different curves (Reference vs Flat....aka movies vs music). Some avrs have the Audyssey bypass L/R feature (where it does not eq the L/R speakers, but not really an Audyssey feature). There is further dsp sometimes enabled by running Audyssey like Dynamic Volume (I turn that off), and a further change to eq called Dynamic EQ (more a loudness contour for less than reference levels, also tweaked by another setting called Reference Level Offset). So a variety of ways you can go with eq, or not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

That's the link the phase alignment. I did not use the Audyssey app, I'll have to look into that. I will read up more on how to do\use Audyssey. Also have to read up on how to use the PEQ parametric correctly.
I didn't even see Audyssey mentioned....

The Audyssey app is nice in that you have more eq management, and can limit the eq to the sub-schroeder frequencies, which is considered the most important to eq.

Is the PEQ in your new sub's amp?

Jivinjoe

Jivinjoe

Junior Audioholic
I didn't even see Audyssey mentioned....

The Audyssey app is nice in that you have more eq management, and can limit the eq to the sub-schroeder frequencies, which is considered the most important to eq.

Is the PEQ in your new sub's amp?
Yes the PEQ is in the subs amp. I was more reading about how important it to have the correct phase, more then what Audyssey does for phase? Or maybe Audyssey does what Rythmik explains in the link?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the PEQ is in the subs amp. I was more reading about how important it to have the correct phase, more then what Audyssey does for phase? Or maybe Audyssey does what Rythmik explains in the link?
They mentioned Denon but not Audyssey specifically, so not sure what they're referring to particularly but I was more skimming for info about Audyssey. Audyssey's goal is a good phase matchup of course, how well it gets that done in each situation....

Some discussion on sub setup from Audyssey here. Here's another sub setup piece discussing phase and avr setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis