İs my subwoofer faulty?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Audyssey’s microphone is calibrated for their system alone.

If you go to the REW homepage, you can learn a little about the program, and they list several microphones that are compatible. Considering it is freeware, it is surprisingly powerful, and John continues to actively update and fine tune it. I emailed a question and he wrote back personally! :)

If you enjoy the hobby enough to care about the sound quality you experience, this is really a great way to take what you have to the next level. You will learn a lot about your room, your gear, and how to use acoustics to your advantage.

And when you do decide to upgrade, you’ll be able to make the best decision... you’ll be smarter than the marketing departments trying to sell you cr@p!!!;)
So someone doesnt need audyssey with XT32 newest version at all? If he knows to use REV and buy this mic also? Its a total replacement?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So someone doesnt need audyssey with XT32 newest version at all? If he knows to use REV and buy this mic also? Its a total replacement?
REW and a stand alone eq/dsp for corrections. REW and mic for understanding what's going on, and to make manual changes within xt32

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
REW and a stand alone eq/dsp for corrections. REW and mic for understanding what's going on, and to make manual changes within xt32
Do i need audyssey XT32 or audyssey XT is just fine with REV? Sorry my english are average

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is the optimal way if one doesn't use an external eq/dsp. This will give you the most you can get without the other.
The other, being REW... is more like a magnifying glass... the resolution you can see with allows you to better judge what may be happening.
A good example:
REW allowed me to see better where I had a 20dB dip in my response. With a little checking, I found the wavelength of that frequency was exactly the distance from the speaker to the wall and back... thus creating the cancellation or suck-out. Once diagnosed, I was able to adjust by moving my speaker about 1.5" and corrected for that problem.
XT32 allows me to set the maximum correction frequency to any point I choose, which is just below 200Hz in my room, where the Schroeder Frequency occurs. The Schroeder Frequency of a room is different for every room, but will usually fall between 200-300Hz. This frequency is the point where the room stops acting as a resonant chamber. Below that frequency, most rooms need help. Above that frequency, most rooms tend to have a much smoother response and you might only have to make adjustments due to unusual factors.
Together, Audyssey XT32 and REW can be very powerful. Audyssey by itself is somewhat limited. REW has many other features, but on its own, cannot do what Audyssey XT32 can. You would need other equipment still to replace Audyssey completely.
I hope that helps you understand better. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The other, being REW... is more like a magnifying glass... the resolution you can see with allows you to better judge what may be happening.
A good example:
REW allowed me to see better where I had a 20dB dip in my response. With a little checking, I found the wavelength of that frequency was exactly the distance from the speaker to the wall and back... thus creating the cancellation or suck-out. Once diagnosed, I was able to adjust by moving my speaker about 1.5" and corrected for that problem.
XT32 allows me to set the maximum correction frequency to any point I choose, which is just below 200Hz in my room, where the Schroeder Frequency occurs. The Schroeder Frequency of a room is different for every room, but will usually fall between 200-300Hz. This frequency is the point where the room stops acting as a resonant chamber. Below that frequency, most rooms need help. Above that frequency, most rooms tend to have a much smoother response and you might only have to make adjustments due to unusual factors.
Together, Audyssey XT32 and REW can be very powerful. Audyssey by itself is somewhat limited. REW has many other features, but on its own, cannot do what Audyssey XT32 can. You would need other equipment still to replace Audyssey completely.
I hope that helps you understand better. :)
Don't disagree one bit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind that using REW and a measurement mic is one thing, for seeing what's going on. It also has the possibility of implementing specific equalization if you have the right gear, but an avr alone isn't the right gear. If all you have is the avr with Audyssey, the app is the way to go for manipulating equalization options. If you have an avr plus external amplification then you can insert something like a minidsp unit (like a 2x4HD unit) and use the REW features for equalization implementation.

Similar to how it is difficult to add an external processor of any kind to a modern avr, as they no longer have pre-out/main-in or processor loops built into the avr like older receivers did (you can thank digital rights management for such).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you get a decent subwoofer or are you still working with the same one?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure what you mean. How do you plan to use them together (i.e. Audyssey and REW together)?
Do i need MultEQ XT32 if i buy a mic and use REW? Or MultEQ XT is fine? REW is an audyssey replacement?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do i need MultEQ XT32 if i buy a mic and use REW? Or MultEQ XT is fine? REW is an audyssey replacement?
Did you understand what I was saying in post 208 about how you need particular gear with REW to implement any equalization with it? Are you just going to use an avr with Audyssey? Is the REW just for integrating a sub or also other speaker channels?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Did you understand what I was saying in post 208 about how you need particular gear with REW to implement any equalization with it? Are you just going to use an avr with Audyssey? Is the REW just for integrating a sub or also other speaker channels?
REW for everything. If its possible.
Gear = special microfone?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
REW for everything. If its possible.
Gear = special microfone?
To use just the avr with your subs/speakers you have Audyssey.

To see the results of processing Audyssey with your speakers/sub you can measure it with REW and a measurement microphone (like a Dayton UMM-6 or miniDSP Umik-1).

If you want to implement any equalization of either subs or speakers using REW you'll need a device that can implement that eq, such as a miniDSP 2x4HD (which is sufficient for subs, wouldn't be sufficient for all the speakers as well, though). To do sub and speakers you'd need a multi-channel miniDSP unit to cover the number of channels you want (like at least an 8x8 if you wanted to cover a 7.1 system for example, or if you had multiple subs perhaps a 10x10). In order to use a miniDSP with the avr you need separate amps, easy with an active subwoofer (since it has a separate amp so that you can insert the miniDSP in between avr and sub),but for the speakers you'll also need external amps for all your speakers so you can place the miniDSP unit in between the avr and amps.

MiniDSP also has Dirac units if you wanted to try another room correction software method.

That help explain?

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
To use just the avr with your subs/speakers you have Audyssey.

To see the results of processing Audyssey with your speakers/sub you can measure it with REW and a measurement microphone (like a Dayton UMM-6 or miniDSP Umik-1).

If you want to implement any equalization of either subs or speakers using REW you'll need a device that can implement that eq, such as a miniDSP 2x4HD (which is sufficient for subs, wouldn't be sufficient for all the speakers as well, though). To do sub and speakers you'd need a multi-channel miniDSP unit to cover the number of channels you want (like at least an 8x8 if you wanted to cover a 7.1 system for example, or if you had multiple subs perhaps a 10x10). In order to use a miniDSP with the avr you need separate amps, easy with an active subwoofer (since it has a separate amp so that you can insert the miniDSP in between avr and sub),but for the speakers you'll also need external amps for all your speakers so you can place the miniDSP unit in between the avr and amps.

MiniDSP also has Dirac units if you wanted to try another room correction software method.

That help explain?
Yes i think. With just the mic i will just measure, i cant sent anything to the AVR like audussey does.
To make room correvction i need extra device. So i need 300€ to make good job.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes i think. With just the mic i will just measure, i cant sent anything to the AVR like audussey does.
To make room correvction i need extra device. So i need 300€ to make good job.
Yes, it will cost some more to bypass Audyssey and still implement some sort of eq for subs and speakers. You might try just using Audyssey and the Audyssey app, and just limiting the use to the lower frequencies (the sub-Schroeder frequency for your room that is). That might give very good results for you without additional expense except for the app.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Yes, it will cost some more to bypass Audyssey and still implement some sort of eq for subs and speakers. You might try just using Audyssey and the Audyssey app, and just limiting the use to the lower frequencies (the sub-Schroeder frequency for your room that is). That might give very good results for you without additional expense except for the app.
Ok for this schroeder freq, how i find out? What what i do next.
I bought the audyssey app before i join this forum

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis