Retiring Yamaha RX-V1, Network Receiver, External DAC / Processor, I just don't know!?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All a pre-pro or av processor is is an avr without the amps built in; they process audio and video formats, and they sell fewer pre-pros than avrs and the price generally reflects that (value of most avrs is hard to beat). The Anthem is an avr rather than a pre-pro, and a fairly expensive one for what it offers (the AVM series is Anthem's series of pre-pro). Least expensive pre-pro I can think of is Outlaw's 976, altho it doesn't have some of the features others have. I wouldn't waste money on something like MQA (MQA is largely bullshit).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Any reason why the Anthem MRX-520 wont work for me?
It seems to do what I need it too, price is in an area I can live with
Sure, but you may be paying more for less. It didn't measure very well compared to less costly competing models.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Sure, but you may be paying more for less. It didn't measure very well compared to less costly competing models.
What "measurements" specifically?
Do you know links to comparison articles?
My priority is really 2.0 with a option to go 5.2 in a few years.
I am not concerned with anything beyond 5.2 surround .....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What "measurements" specifically?
Do you know links to comparison articles?
My priority is really 2.0 with a option to go 5.2 in a few years.
I am not concerned with anything beyond 5.2 surround .....
Sorry, it was linked in another thread not long ago.

The pre out ranked quite good actually, but not if you are using the speaker outputs.

1573156126171.png

1573156164964.png

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Ok thanks, Ive seen this article and info but the version I saw didnt have the 520 on it... thanks

Any thoughts regarding "room correction is very important and Anthem is better that competitors" ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok thanks, Ive seen this article and info but the version I saw didnt have the 520 on it... thanks

Any thoughts regarding "room correction is very important and Anthem is better that competitors" ?
I recently compared XT32 to Dirac Live (using the beta 2 channel PC based standalone version). Restricting the range to below 250 Hz, both can do a good job but not conclusive at this point as to which one is better, and to be fair it obviously wasn't an apple to apple comparison, one being the standalone PC based type.

I don't know about Anthem ARC but I am skeptical about the hearsay that often claimed somehow AARC was better than XT32, without seeing some objectively conducted comparison using measurements instead of the users subjective listening tests impressions. If you believe in DRC, and are willing to spend the time to use the Apps to make manual adjustments, you should be able to use any of the Audyssey, Dirac Live or Anthem ARC to get it close to your liking. If you are the objective type like me who tend to aim for accuracy/neutrality, then you should use REW or other similar software to guide you through the manual adjustment process.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Ok thanks!
So the question is what is the "best" av receiver for say under $1300USD, when my focus is 2.0 with a plan for a 5.2 system eventually....

My understanding is that some great sales and deals can be had on certain products, since I dont care too much about more than 5.2 and some of the new "fancy" features.....perhaps there is a bargain to be had??

Something 4ohm compatible is important.
And I have an LGc8 OLED so 4k , hdmi 2.1 might be required? or just 2.0b apparently for my needs?
AV purchases are so fun!!!!:)

Last edited:
A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
The MRX-520 is a "Receiver", not an "AV Processor".
I am aware of this... yes
I could go processor if it suits me because I have a 2ch power amp already
or I could go receiver , and just use my power amp for driving large mains....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am aware of this... yes
I could go processor if it suits me because I have a 2ch power amp already
or I could go receiver , and just use my power amp for driving large mains....
For your upgrade, I think the first question to solve is whether you want to go with another Receiver or go the "Separates" route.

Of course, either way is perfectly fine. It comes down to your personal preference.

The reason most people go with AVR's is because they usually cost a lot less than AVP's.

But you might ask around some dealers to see what kind of deals are available. For example, some dealers may have access to a brand new Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP for big discounts.

Or you could also get them as "pre-owned/used condition" from Amazon Warehouse deals.

The Anthem AVR's are fine too. But you usually pay a premium just for the brand...unless you've used Anthem's ARC auto room correction before and just love it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok thanks!
So the question is what is the "best" av receiver for say under $1300USD, when my focus is 2.0 with a plan for a 5.2 system eventually....

My understanding is that some great sales and deals can be had on certain products, since I dont care too much about more than 5.2 and some of the new "fancy" features.....perhaps there is a bargain to be had??

Something 4ohm compatible is important.
And I have an LGc8 OLED so 4k , hdmi 2.1 might be required? or just 2.0b apparently for my needs?
AV purchases are so fun!!!!:)
There's really no bargains except what the marketplace brings with greater sales numbers....and that is usually with more, rather than fewer, features.

Do you really want 2 separately adjustable subs? The Anthem 520 does not have such a feature, they're identical sub outputs (like using a splitter on a unit with just one sub pre-out). OTOH the AudysseyXT32/SubEQ feature on Denon/Marantz avrs does allow for two different subs (for level and delay, then eq'd together). 4 ohm loads wouldn't matter with your external amp of course, but generally the Denon/Marantz units are fine with 4 ohm loads. Anthem does not rate the 520 for 4 ohm loads either.

Here's what HDMI 2.1 brings to the table https://hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Regarding 2 adjustable subs: No, really 5.0 is probably my initial plan, subs are low on my priority list.

Right on anthem website is says "compatible with 4ohm or higher" , am I missing something?

And my bookshelves lsim703 drop into 4ohm often apparently so 4ohm is something I want at least "capable" in all channels

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
For your upgrade, I think the first question to solve is whether you want to go with another Receiver or go the "Separates" route.

Of course, either way is perfectly fine. But it comes down to your personal preference.

The reason most people go with AVR's is because they usually cost a lot less than AVP's.

But you might ask around some dealers to see what kind of deals are available. For example, some dealers may have access to a brand new Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP for big discounts.

Or you could also get them as "pre-owned/used condition" from Amazon Warehouse deals.

The Anthem AVR's are fine too. But you usually pay a premium just for the brand...unless you've used Anthem's ARC auto room correction before and just love it.
I think the best plan for me is an avr and use it only to power center and rears eventually. And I would use a 2ch power amp with the mains.....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the best plan for me is an avr and use it only to power center and rears eventually. And I would use a 2ch power amp with the mains.....
Sounds reasonable. I think most people would do that.

I think most people would recommend something like the Denon X3500 for $600, X4400 for $1099, or X6400 for $1500. All have Audyssey XT32 if you are interested in auto room correction.

Yamaha is having a sale right now, but the sale is nothing compared to Denon. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding 2 adjustable subs: No, really 5.0 is probably my initial plan, subs are low on my priority list.

Right on anthem website is says "compatible with 4ohm or higher" , am I missing something?

And my bookshelves lsim703 drop into 4ohm often apparently so 4ohm is something I want at least "capable" in all channels
They don't publish ratings for 4 ohm, tho (can't think of many avrs that have). Many avrs are 4 ohm compatible, tho. Capable could be something else depending on what listening levels and distance from the speakers. For really low impedance demands a power amp is usually a better avenue (especially those rated for 2 ohm use).

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Generally I think levels on the surrounds and center speakers will be moderate at most, im not crazy about super loud for movies...

when I go 2ch though, I can get a little over excited at times......

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
I see a great deal in my area (Canada) on : a Marantz SR7013 refurb.,,,,

What are anyones thoughts on the receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a nice avr, but not familiar with refurbs except via accessories4less.com here in the US.....so be sure about warranty/return aspects as they're usually limited.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I see a great deal in my area (Canada) on : a Marantz SR7013 refurb.,,,,

What are anyones thoughts on the receiver?
Did you see my posts about the SR7013 down to $1199.99 less than one month ago at Bestbuy.ca?
It was also down to $1249.99 a few months ago at both Bestbuy and Amazon.ca

So why buy refurbished when you can get a new one for the same amount if you can wait for BB and Amazon to put that sale back on again.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Did you see my posts about the SR7013 down to $1199.99 less than one month ago at Bestbuy.ca?
It was also down to $1249.99 a few months ago at both Bestbuy and Amazon.ca

So why buy refurbished when you can get a new one for the same amount if you can wait for BB and Amazon to put that sale back on again.
I dont see those prices ive check amazon/bestbuy/visions .ca,

Wait? omg please no!!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis