Retiring Yamaha RX-V1, Network Receiver, External DAC / Processor, I just don't know!?

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
My Yamaha RX-V1 in all its glory finally had to be retired. I also have a Emotiva UPA-2 power amp and Rega RP-1 turntable. I used to run optical from my pc to this RX-V1....It sounded "good"....But I always planed to upgrade one day.

Currently I am simply running an RCA analog out directly into my Emotiva UPA-2 power amp, and basically using my PC sound card as a pre-amp/DAC. I dint want to do this anymore, as I understand its not ideal.

I have a very large flac and wave music collection on my computers external drives. I might keep using that or perhaps go with a high-fi audio subscription option.

I want to upgrade my system but I dont know the best possible options for me. My budget is quite open, a solution under $1000 would be nice but I can spend much more if I decide its of value. For now I plan to keep using my Emotiva UPA-2, its a great little amp that Ive ran hard for almost 10 years now. Perhaps a network receiver ? Or because I already have a "reasonable" amp would I bet better off just doing with some type of "network processor" (if that is the correct term?). Or even an external DAC that I use with my PC.

Any suggestions for me?

My main focus is 2ch music, but I will probably want to set up a 3.0 or 5.0 setup eventually. I have 2 Polk Lsim707 towers, matching bookshelves. Perhaps worth noting, I have a LG v30, apparently its DAC is very good.....

I did read other posts but not anywhere the person had 1) good power amp they still will use 2) need for a nice phono input

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think any AVR from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer, Integra should work.

1. Yamaha - might have best reliability and compatibility, but usually not on sale and cost more

2. Denon - usually have the best sales, X3000 and higher models have Audyssey XT32 if you care for Auto Room EQ features

I believe the Denon X3500 is comparable to the Yamaha RX-A1080. But you can usually get the X3500 for $600 and the RX-A1080 for $1200. :eek:

So it's kind of hard to recommend the Yamaha for TWICE the price. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's currently amiss with the audio from your pc? Other than by reputation, that is....

Was it a Pioneer or Yamaha RX-V1? Not heard of a Pioneer with that model designation.

You can always get an external phono stage for the tt, altho some avrs still have phono stages. If you want multi-ch eventually an avr with pre-outs for your power amp is a good way to go, but with multiple sources one or the other would be better than simply adding a digital player. A pre-pro would require more amps be utilized and tend to be more expensive than an avr with same feature set.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
I think any AVR from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Sony, Pioneer, Integra should work.

1. Yamaha - might have best reliability and compatibility, but usually not on sale and cost more

2. Denon - usually have the best sales, X3000 and higher models have Audyssey XT32 if you care for Auto Room EQ features

I believe the Denon X3500 is comparable to the Yamaha RX-A1080. But you can usually get the X3500 for $600 and the RX-A1080 for $1200. :eek:

So it's kind of hard to recommend the Yamaha for TWICE the price. :D
I like these suggestions, I am just wondering if a AVR is my best option, its the easiest for sure. But since I dont require any amplification for just 2ch music for now, I wonder if using a higher end processor of some type might be better. I do like separate components. and I just thought it is important to mention my rear surrounds drop into 4ohms quite often.....

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
What's currently amiss with the audio from your pc? Other than by reputation, that is....

Was it a Pioneer or Yamaha RX-V1? Not heard of a Pioneer with that model designation.

You can always get an external phono stage for the tt, altho some avrs still have phono stages. If you want multi-ch eventually an avr with pre-outs for your power amp is a good way to go, but with multiple sources one or the other would be better than simply adding a digital player. A pre-pro would require more amps be utilized and tend to be more expensive than an avr with same feature set.
Yea thanks typo fixed, it was a Yamaha RX-V1...

You ask a very very good question, I can tell my audiophile brother with a 50k system is impressed when he hears my "budget" system....Is using a higher end sound card(Asus Xonar D2) in a PC considered a good DAC and preamp to go strait into a power amp(Emotiva UPA-2)?

OR

Is there some "proper" way to use my LG V30 to improve my set up? for eg can I use the V30 phone as a DAC/preamp itself? (or should the v30 run into a preamp before the poweramp?) - basically Im not totally sure I understand when having a preamp is "best" or even required etc....

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like these suggestions, I am just wondering if a AVR is my best option, its the easiest for sure. But since I dont require any amplification for just 2ch music for now, I wonder if using a higher end processor of some type might be better. I do like separate components. and I just thought it is important to mention my rear surrounds drop into 4ohms quite often.....
If separates, I would go for the Yamaha CX-A5100 or CX-A5200 Pre-pros.

The CX-A5100 actually has better distortion measurements (State of the Art) than the CX-A5200, but it's not actually audible (0.015% THD if your amp needs the big 4 Volts).

For example, the CX-A5200's Balanced XLR Front Left and Front Right's distortion is 0.005% at 2 Volts (most amps only need 2V) and 0.015% at 4 Volts, but the CX-A5100's distortion is 0.005% even at 4 Volts. :D

Gene should be publishing his full review/measurements of the Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 any day now. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I replaced my RXV3300 with the RXA2060 2 years ago. I’m very happy to have 13 years worth of new technology. :)

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
If separates, I would go for the Yamaha CX-A5100 or CX-A5200 Pre-pros.

The CX-A5100 actually has better distortion measurements (State of the Art) than the CX-A5200, but it's not actually audible (0.015% THD if your amp needs the big 4 Volts).

For example, the CX-A5200's Balanced XLR Front Left and Front Right's distortion is 0.005% at 2 Volts (most amps only need 2V) and 0.015% at 4 Volts, but the CX-A5100's distortion is 0.005% even at 4 Volts. :D

Gene should be publishing his full review/measurements of the Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200 any day now. :D
Man I really like the look/specs of the CX-A5200!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea thanks typo fixed, it was a Yamaha RX-V1...

You ask a very very good question, I can tell my audiophile brother with a 50k system is impressed when he hears my "budget" system....Is using a higher end sound card(Asus Xonar D2) in a PC considered a good DAC and preamp to go strait into a power amp(Emotiva UPA-2)?

OR

Is there some "proper" way to use my LG V30 to improve my set up? for eg can I use the V30 phone as a DAC/preamp itself? (or should the v30 run into a preamp before the poweramp?) - basically Im not totally sure I understand when preamp is "best" or required etc....
If the pc sounds good it probably is fine. The one source that generally needs a pre-amp is the tt, and an avr or pre-amp or pre-pro (pre-amp/processor) generally offers a convenient switching center overall as well as perhaps providing any pre-amplification level needed for your amp. What is the input sensitivity of your amp?

A phone to me just has too limited of memory to function as a player, altho that would depend on the size of your library. It can make for a nice controller with a wifi enabled system, tho (what I use a phone for often is merely to direct content from streaming apps or my computer if not the phone itself). Your phone may work fine with your amp on it's own, has more to do with output level of the phone as well as the input sensitivity of your amp....

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
If the pc sounds good it probably is fine. The one source that generally needs a pre-amp is the tt, and an avr or pre-amp or pre-pro (pre-amp/processor) generally offers a convenient switching center overall as well as perhaps providing any pre-amplification level needed for your amp. What is the input sensitivity of your amp?

A phone to me just has too limited of memory to function as a player, altho that would depend on the size of your library. It can make for a nice controller with a wifi enabled system, tho (what I use a phone for often is merely to direct content from streaming apps or my computer if not the phone itself). Your phone may work fine with your amp on it's own, has more to do with output level of the phone as well as the input sensitivity of your amp....
My amps "Input Impedance: 47K ohm "

full specs:
not enough total posts on my new account for posting links"

This amp I love but would probably upgrade some day and use it to drive my rear surrounds I have in waiting (Polk Lsim 703)

My v30 phone has 1tb of memory.....(sd)

Last edited:
A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
My amp Emotiva UPA-2 specs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One terabyte might do it....but you'd still need something to either physically connect it to or use wirelessly. None of your links has the input sensitivity voltage spec, but if it works fine with your phone now that's somewhat an answer already.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
One terabyte might do it....but you'd still need something to either physically connect it to or use wirelessly. None of your links has the input sensitivity voltage spec, but if it works fine with your phone now that's somewhat an answer already.
Yes it did work with my phone when tried in once. But it was just a test because Im used to controlling my music from my pc with a wireless keyboard/mouse for convenience.

sorry : Input Sensitivity Range (Gain): Channels 1-2 31dB

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was looking for a voltage spec. Seems Emotiva doesn't supply that altho I see a few mentions it should be around 1.2V. Don't know about your phone, tho.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
I was looking for a voltage spec. Seems Emotiva doesn't supply that altho I see a few mentions it should be around 1.2V. Don't know about your phone, tho.
ok thanks, well its good to know that it "works" but really im trying to find out if it is one of the "correct" ways to do this..... Law of diminishing returns and all that... For example what would be the first upgrade you would do if you had my system?

1) pc, flac and wave files
2) higher end Asus Xonar sound card with simple rca analog cable to my Emotiva UPA-2 power amp.....
(LG V30 phone not being used, but it apparently has a great DAC)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the best sound quality would be to use HDMI (graphics card, GPU if you don't have HDMI built-in to your PC) or Optical/Coaxial Digital Output and Bit-stream all files to your AVR or Pre-pro.

I've used a $300 Asus sound card in the past. And it didn't sound as good as bitstream.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My amp Emotiva UPA-2 specs

Since you already have a two channel power amp, you may consider a network streamer/preamp such as this one:

Its cousin, the WXA-50 measured with THD+N as good as the Marantz flagship AV8805 and better than a couple NAD and Anthem AV surround receivers.

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Since you already have a two channel power amp, you may consider a network streamer/preamp such as this one:

Its cousin, the WXA-50 measured with THD+N as good as the Marantz flagship AV8805 and better than a couple NAD and Anthem AV surround receivers.

Thanks for this, looks like a nice unit.... I cant help but notice my phone is much higher on the DAC chart you attached..... its really making me wonder if there is some way to use this phone to improve my setup now and also I will research and buy some type of processor/receiver ......

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
To get this back on track....

I think what I need is a good quality av processor.
I can use my current power amp. For now I can use the Av processor and my amp for 2ch music listening, and I can expand to 5.0+ as need be....

Does this make sense? Ive never owned a "processor", so Im making sure I understand before I start buying.....
(essentially Ive been using my PC as a processor I suppose).

What AV Processor would you recommend? Phono would be great, with "modern" decoding features like MQA files (that I am just now learning about)...... Around $1500 is reasonable but I could save and spend more if there is "good" reason.....;)

A

Audiomaniacus

Audioholic Intern
Any reason why the Anthem MRX-520 wont work for me?
It seems to do what I need it too, price is in an area I can live with

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis