Surround repair ? Mystery speakers

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'd probably take those drivers out back and put them out of their misery...
I have a car speaker that might fit but I’d have to add something because they are different shaped and more circular.
I mean these drivers are nothing special and really either diy refoaming or buying new ones is best thing to do . Boxes are heavy duty and the woofers are powerful.

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Neither one of these car speakers fits without some modifications? And to remove this driver to replace it with something else will be hard someone super glued the driver in and I cannot get it out .

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Drivers look easily repairable the-white Elmer glue stuff is coming off easily .
Would gel based glue work ? If I used the edges of paper or plastic plates like I’ve had success before on the other one of these speakers work ?
They allow plenty of movement so speaker can vibrate well don’t know or think a car speaker will fit here . Proper foam kits cost as much as new drivers actually . Don’t have the money right now

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

It these are repairable it’s really going to be hard ..... wow any odds a car speaker could be modified to fit here ?
Tweeters look repairable unsure on midrange... damn ouch that’s bad

Free the reptile aliens

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

It these are repairable it’s really going to be hard ..... wow any odds a car speaker could be modified to fit here ?
Tweeters look repairable unsure on midrange... damn ouch that’s bad

Free the reptile aliens
You can't be serious. There's no saving those drivers. They're an absolute mess. You won't get good results replacing them with car speakers either. What you're suggesting is so ridiculous it's almost cartoonish.

I think you need to stop spending money on glue, caulk, ten dollar center channels and whatever else you're buying to try and save those speakers, and save up what you can to buy some real speakers. Save up 85 bucks and you can start with these DCM TP160S'. By all accounts they're great speakers for the price and would certainly blow away what you have now or anything you might end up with, with 85 dollars worth of adhesive...

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Ditto again. After all the (wasted) money and effort, at the end of the day they are still nothing but cheesy speakers that will sound crummy. I mean, a huge honkin’ paper cone tweeter? You can’t get decent highs out of one of those things. Save a few bucks and get something like Pogre recommended. With the first listen, you’ll wonder why you ever wasted the $8 and a minute of your time on these things.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ditto again. After all the (wasted) money and effort, at the end of the day they are still nothing but cheesy speakers that will sound crummy. I mean, a huge honkin’ paper cone tweeter? You can’t get decent highs out of one of those things. Save a few bucks and get something like Pogre recommended. With the first listen, you’ll wonder why you ever wasted the $8 and a minute of your time on these things.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Should. Just dump these things ? On Facebook or something and say the drivers need replacement? Or letgo

Free the reptile aliens

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Should. Just dump these things ? On Facebook or something and say the drivers need replacement? Or letgo

Free the reptile aliens
Throw them out. Nobody in their right mind is going to buy these.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Throw them out. Nobody in their right mind is going to buy these.
I had someone pay $20 for a broken roku tv I found . I’d sooner use them as a speaker stand or something before throwing them out .
The woofers work though

Free the reptile aliens

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I had someone pay $20 for a broken roku tv I found . I’d sooner use them as a speaker stand or something before throwing them out .
The woofers work though
A Roku tv is much more recent than those speakers and may actually be worth fixing.

Use them as stands/try to sell them, but I really doubt you'd find someone interested in putting the effort into fixing up a no name speaker, and you're not likely to get back the money you spent on them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
A Roku tv is much more recent than those speakers and may actually be worth fixing.

Use them as stands/try to sell them, but I really doubt you'd find someone interested in putting the effort into fixing up a no name speaker, and you're not likely to get back the money you spent on them.
Yeah I guess gotta avoid buying stuff that’s not name brand again . I was rushed that day by a friend didn’t notice surrounds were shot
Are you sure they won’t sound better with replacement drivers they go down to 30 Hz in the boxes are really well-built?? Plenty of bass could probably even use them for a diy subwoofer box

Free the reptile aliens

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I guess gotta avoid buying stuff that’s not name brand again . I was rushed that day by a friend didn’t notice surrounds were shot
You didn't notice?! I thought you said that someone else tried to repair those surrounds. How could you not notice all that adhesive and whatever else was glued all over those things? You've gotta stop wasting your money on that junk.
Are you sure they won’t sound better with replacement drivers they go down to 30 Hz in the boxes are really well-built?? Plenty of bass could probably even use them for a diy subwoofer box
No, not absolutely sure. However, when a speaker is designed and built every part, driver, the cabinet size and dimensions are all carefully calculated and crossed over to work together. You would need to replace with the exact same drivers or ones that perform exactly the same or it just won't work. You can't take parts from one speaker and just stick them into another and expect good results.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You didn't notice?! I thought you said that someone else tried to repair those surrounds. How could you not notice all that adhesive and whatever else was glued all over those things? You've gotta stop wasting your money on that junk.

No, not absolutely sure. However, when a speaker is designed and built every part, driver, the cabinet size and dimensions are all carefully calculated and crossed over to work together. You would need to replace with the exact same drivers or ones that perform exactly the same or it just won't work. You can't take parts from one speaker and just stick them into another and expect good results.
Yeah and there’s no way to figure out parameters from these drivers unless we can identify the supplier of the parts etc . I’d imagine a general paper design means there basic .

Speaker build and or replacing drivers is a. Very very complex thing and Even if I add good drivers might be a failure .
I could save the woofers Incase I need a replacement and use the boxes for a subwoofer diy build later on or a Speaker stand of some sort .
It’s hardly going to work to try and fix garbage might be cheaper to save my money and buy something name brand used .
Hard to make a diamond out of a snail shell right haha
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Yeah and there’s no way to figure out parameters from these drivers unless we can identify the supplier of the parts etc . I’d imagine a general paper design means there basic .

Speaker build and or replacing drivers is a. Very very complex thing and Even if I add good drivers might be a failure .
I could save the woofers Incase I need a replacement and use the boxes for a subwoofer diy build later on or a Speaker stand of some sort .
It’s hardly going to work to try and fix garbage might be cheaper to save my money and buy something name brand used .
Hard to make a diamond out of a snail shell right haha
Free the reptile aliens
Stop hoarding speaker parts. It will be ok just let them go. Pop some music on your existing system and enjoy

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Stop hoarding speaker parts. It will be ok just let them go. Pop some music on your existing system and enjoy
Yeah sometimes you just lose when going to thrift store without the knowledge to know what to look for . Gotta learn from the failure right?
I was In a big rush that day I normally don’t buy stuff with shot surrounds .

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Yeah have you ever seen a worse looking speaker ?

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder if these drivers could be modified to just be a bass module or to add a second woofer ? Or subwoofer ?
Or if replacing the drivers with new ones would make good basement speakers ?
Bass idea might would but probably better to cut my losses then try and make unknown speakers if no value good .
Boxes seem sturdy and the 12” woofer has good bass .
Might have to rip the top two drivers out to sell them but previous owner super glued a midrange in . What can I use them for magnets ?? The bad drivers
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis