RBH Sound Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply. Do you know about the sv6500r tower amt? That is the most likely pair from rbh I'm looking at with the sv661cr in the center. Although I haven't ruled out the 831 yet.
I've been poking around the rbh website for some months now, seems a little weird the photos show the old amt. Maybe I'm missing something?
The SV6500R AMT will be square like the SV61R/661R AMT.

Only the SV831/821 retain the 4.72”x1” AMT.

As for the website, they are just behind on updating it.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone tried to lay the sub portion of a T2 on it's side?
Yes I have. It’s okay to place the 1010-sub on it’s side.

As for not being able to get a true 1/4-corner-Sub placement, I say don’t sweat it.

You can do a REW measurement with a $92 UMIK-1 mic if the bass doesn’t sound great. But if the bass sounds great, I wouldn’t worry.

E

Erod

Audioholic
I have a question for all you RBH guys. Has anyone tried to lay the sub portion of a T2 or similar system on it's side? I ask because of my room layout I can't put subs in all four corners. (See the attached layout.) I was thinking the next best option was to use the rule of 1/4s layout but because of the width of the room (14'-10') and my screen size (115 or 123 scope) using the standard tower configuration would put the T2's into the screen. I would have to lay the subs on their sides and put the upper portion all the way to the outsides making an "L" shape if that makes sense.
The other dilemma I'm looking at is that I can't get a true 1/4 dimension on the back wall because of the door and step on the riser. The one nearest the door in particular would be about 18" or more off center as a guess. The subs for the rear would be HSU VTF3 MkII's.
PLUS by using the riser as a bass trap almost any placement of a sub on the riser would be on top of one of the vents. I'm not sure how that or any of my layout thoughts, for that matter, will affect the sound.
Thoughts?? Suggestions???
Thanks!
Not sure, but if you have four subs, why do you need bass traps? Shouldn't the bass response be smoothed out with that many subs?

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Not sure, but if you have four subs, why do you need bass traps? Shouldn't the bass response be smoothed out with that many subs?
Having more subs will help but with my layout they cannot be perfectly situated. You can never really get a perfect room anyway so the riser serving as a bass trap will help smooth things out. May as well take advantage of having a riser taking up space. :cool:

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I’m a very old JBL guy. I’ve owned great ones, and still have my L46 and L3. I have used KEF,Mission,DefTech.Infinity. I stumbled onto a local add that had two RBH bookshelves that had a missing crossover. I went to RBH. Home office for help. They helped carry them to the back, then sat down while I watched a tech work the drivers over. Installed new crossover, new wiring etc. They charged me a few bucks. Since that day, I’ve owned an 816 (I think. Roger, the founder sat down and told me how he developed it) so many MC series to count, and have my main system using the Signature line Reference stuff. Their passive subs and the A-400 amps are life changing. My bedroom has MC based 5.2 , and main room all Reference. I have a 10” passive, a massive 12” passive beast, and two 1010SEN/R subs currently. China can hear me.

I go out to their shop every so often with a few dozen Krispy Kreme. They drop what their doing and sit down and shoot the bull with you. They’re so much help with implementing their stuff, and allow you to buy the upgrades as they come. They take tremendous pride in what they ship. They want to be the best in every category. They are my friends.

see if Harmon int will do that, or any one else.
The 9500 is an awesome tweeter.
I have the Usher 9950 in my MTM's which is a decent clone of the 9500.
Couldn't find find any reasonably sized standmount DIY designs using the 9500 though, so I went with the Usher's
Fritz uses them in his Carbon 7. Nice speaker.
Cheers, Mac
Edit; who make their mids and woofs?
Made an offer on a pair of 61's that were a prototype with the berylium midwoofs a while back from a dealer in OK.
850 wasn't enough :(
I upgraded my 770/r when the new drop in AMT tweeter became available. I have recycled my three 9500 by careful modification on my MC cabinets.

wow.

If RBH was a man, I would find a way to birth their love child. I would hold it so close......I live in Layton. The folks at the mothership, I consider my friends. I may be a nuisance to them, but I don’t think so. It’s like walking into the barber shop in Mayberry with Andy and Barney. And do they ever love in what they make. You should walk back to their parts warehouse. My shirt and undies are moist from the drool. Massive stacks of woofers, tweeters, ooooooh.

I have spent hours conversing with Roger, the founder, about how the industry was in the old days. They made the speakers for McIntosh, JBl and many others before striking out on their own. I will miss him and his giant black dog. He’s a special kind of man. I was also introduced to the new owner. He will continue the founding principles of RBH. A speaker that will compete with much more expensive companies.

and no I don’t work for RBH. I was offered a position but I am permanently disabled/chronic back pain. It would have been a dream job. That hurt.

Attachments

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Okay, so how does a guy control the bass on the towers like the SX-6300 or SX-8300?

Let's say you have an AT2002 2Ch amp and Parasound P5 preamp with Subwoofer output (LFE) and a pair of SX-6300/R. :D

This is one way.

You would need an extra amp and the LFE signal that would normally go to the sub in a 2.1 setup.

The extra amp could be any spare amp, preferably with volume control like a sub amp such as the Dayton SA230 ($200) from Parts Express. This amp can power both tower's bass if you wire in series. Otherwise, you would need 1 amp for each tower.

Dayton Audio SA230 230W Subwoofer Amplifier

1. Remove the jumper cables on your SX-6300.
2. Connect the speaker cables from the AT2002 to the TOP speaker binding posts of the SX-6300.
3. Connect the LFE output from your Parasound P5 to the LFE input of the Dayton SA230 amp.
4. Connect the speaker output of the Dayton SA230 amp to the BOTTOM speaker binding posts of the SX-6300.

Now you have actively bi-amped the SX-6300. You control the bass amount of the SX-6300 with the Dayton volume knob.
Out of curiosity on class d amps, I ordered a Crown xls-1502. It’s a little 8lb runt if a thing. I used it with my 770/r. It did a very respectable job. I put it to bridged mode with my 1010sen/r and did some frequency sweeps. Oh my but can the 10” reference drivers move a huge amount of air. I put it back in stereo and wired up both of my 1010sen subs, then started U571. At one point, the depth charges had both channels lightly clipping. The normal 10” woofers were exceeding their limits. The reference drivers were just hitting their stride. My A-400, A-200 and SA-200 have been put in storage. This rinky dink amp can really move current and remain cool to the touch. Yep

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Yeah, Shane Rich said the trio of 8" woofers in each SX-8300 is about equivalent to the dual 10" woofers in each SX-1010 sub.

When I first heard the pair of RBH T2 towers (has 1010-sub as bass), I owned the Def Tech BP7000SC (14" built-on subs, 1,800W amp) plus the Def Tech Trinity Sub (2000W amp, 2 x 14" woofers, 4 x 14" radiators).

And I just could not believe the bass that came from the pair of RBH T2s. I was seeing it, but I still couldn't believe how it kicked the crap out of the bass from my Def Tech setup. It wasn't just about sheer output. It was the output plus the quality of the bass. That was really the end of the Def Tech reign in my house. :D
I would imagine the bass would tremendously quick and oh so tight. I never personally seen their 8”. You have a pic?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would imagine the bass would tremendously quick and oh so tight. I never personally seen their 8”. You have a pic?
The Trio-8-Inch-Woofer was on the previous tower model - SX-8300. I wish RBH had replaced it with a SV-8300. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Out of curiosity on class d amps, I ordered a Crown xls-1502. It’s a little 8lb runt if a thing. I used it with my 770/r. It did a very respectable job. I put it to bridged mode with my 1010sen/r and did some frequency sweeps. Oh my but can the 10” reference drivers move a huge amount of air. I put it back in stereo and wired up both of my 1010sen subs, then started U571. At one point, the depth charges had both channels lightly clipping. The normal 10” woofers were exceeding their limits. The reference drivers were just hitting their stride. My A-400, A-200 and SA-200 have been put in storage. This rinky dink amp can really move current and remain cool to the touch. Yep
You know the RBH 1010N/R subs have a max power rating of 500W, right? :D

I'm chicken :D, so I wouldn't take any chances on using amps more powerful than 500W unless I have the 1212N/R, which is rated for 2,400 Watts.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
You know the RBH 1010N/R subs have a max power rating of 500W, right? :D

I'm chicken :D, so I wouldn't take any chances on using amps more powerful than 500W unless I have the 1212N/R, which is rated for 2,400 Watts.
It was through error that the volume was that extreme. In complete panic, I dove for the receiver volume knob even though the remote was in my lap, and the amp was within reach. The standard 10” drivers reached max excursion. The 10” reference drivers were just hitting their stride. And to be perfectly honest, I did not believe the 8lb runt would have any “real” power to move much air let alone creating pressure changes in the room.

I am so excited to see/play with their new pig, the S-1212n. All I want for Christmas, screw my two front teeth.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It was through error that the volume was that extreme. In complete panic, I dove for the receiver volume knob even though the remote was in my lap, and the amp was within reach. The standard 10” drivers reached max excursion. The 10” reference drivers were just hitting their stride. And to be perfectly honest, I did not believe the 8lb runt would have any “real” power to move much air let alone creating pressure changes in the room.

I am so excited to see/play with their new pig, the S-1212n. All I want for Christmas, screw my two front teeth.
Are you getting the 1212N (or 1212NR)?

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Are you getting the 1212N (or 1212NR)?
I’m sort of trapped. I’m halfway through upgrading my 1010sen pair with the 10” Reference drivers. I’m medically disabled so the 12” reference may be out of reach. Given the size of my main room, just the on 1010/r can shake my foundation to the roof easily. I also still have a 10” passive, 12” passive. I should sell them all, but their all so cool in their own way. I think I need help.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I’m sort of trapped. I’m halfway through upgrading my 1010sen pair with the 10” Reference drivers. I’m medically disabled so the 12” reference may be out of reach. Given the size of my main room, just the on 1010/r can shake my foundation to the roof easily. I also still have a 10” passive, 12” passive. I should sell them all, but their all so cool in their own way. I think I need help.
Haha. I hear ya. I think I may now be 'medically disabled' too (hopefully kidding) after carrying my SV-1212P/R I'm selling up the stairs the other day to unbox and test. Thing's a beast (weights over 100 lbs). Now I have to re-pack and get it ready to ship again, and get it back downstairs. Oof, my back! In retrospect REALLY should have just moved my receiver and some speakers downstairs instead. Haha.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely not a question of "need", but rather just "want". :D

I know those 1010s can do a lot in my 22'x26'14' HT room.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Definitely not a question of "need", but rather just "want". :D

I know those 1010s can do a lot in my 22'x26'14' HT room.
Indeed. A good friend of mine is rocking one of their 1010s and the output is substantial. Tight bass too. While I LOVE the 1212, I could also be quite happy with the 1010 as well.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got words that RBH prices will increase by 10% starting 01/01/2020.

"After careful consideration of increased materials costs and tariffs imposed by the US government on materials imported from China, we have found it necessary to increase our prices. Price increases are never fun and, while it has been over four years since our last price increase, we have done what we can to hold this general increase to only 10%."

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just got words that RBH prices will increase by 10% starting 01/01/2020.

"After careful consideration of increased materials costs and tariffs imposed by the US government on materials imported from China, we have found it necessary to increase our prices. Price increases are never fun and, while it has been over four years since our last price increase, we have done what we can to hold this general increase to only 10%."
Man that sucks at Bjorn's my favorite high end audio store here in town I've noticed prices have increased on all the products as well

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Man that sucks at Bjorn's my favorite high end audio store here in town I've noticed prices have increased on all the products as well
ATI just increased their prices at the beginning of 2019.

I guess we're seeing the impact of the China-trade thing?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
ATI just increased their prices at the beginning of 2019.

I guess we're seeing the impact of the China-trade thing?
Yeah we were told it was coming and know it's here man this sucks but I can't imagine how bad it is for working people in ceartin industries my prayers go out to them

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis