DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
cool cool I'll look 4ward to the comparison, sorry for the confusion, I meant the tp.

And out of curiosity have you all considered setting up a youtube channel and perhaps make some money from your hobby?
Would you use a subwoofer with them?
If so, I will apply a 80Hz roll-off to mitigate any basscharacteristics from weighing too heavily in my evaluation.
Also, I only have R152's right now, I passed the R162's on to a friend. So I will be comparing the R152 to the TP160!

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
Actually my sub works sometimes and then it doesnt. Its a crap shoot with the thing! If it had a name it would probably be sybil.....
I'm assuming not much difference sound wise between the 2 infinities?
thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The main difference would simply in the low end where the 6.5" woofer would have an advantage.
Both appear to have identical tweeters and the woofers appear identical aside from the size of the drivers and cabinets.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have been testing the TFE speakers out for a few days, then I put the TP speakers back up, I am still amazed at how good the TP speakers are ... yes the TFE speaskers are better, but the TP speakers are no slouch/wimp

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have been testing the TFE speakers out for a few days, then I put the TP speakers back up, I am still amazed at how good the TP speakers are ... yes the TFE speaskers are better, but the TP speakers are no slouch/wimp
The TFES have more of a pro look to them. I'm not sure of I like it or not. Hard to really tell from photos tho.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The TFES have more of a pro look to them. I'm not sure of I like it or not. Hard to really tell from photos tho.
The looks will be a love or hate -- but do look better in person to me

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So are you guys in agreement that these are a notch below the infinity's?
This is about as close of a comparison as I have done.
I would say they are about a 1/4 notch below the Infinities.
Usually when I am comparing two speakers, once I set things up for a quick switch back and forth (and especially in the low price range like these are),it is easy! I just switch back and forth and I really just pay attention to how I feel when I switch which way. IOW, usually I will be more or less consistently disappointed that I pressed the button to switch from (say) A to B and will enjoy the switch back to A. After I have a solid idea which I like better is when I start attempting to dissect what it is about the sound that makes me like one over the other (or that makes one sound more realistic than the other).
This was not so easy between these two speakers as neither gave me that "let down" feeling when I switched to it.
I was impressed at how the Infinity R152 with the smaller woofer kept up with the TP160, but I wasn't running these at reference, I was running them at what I consider a full and solid sound such that you would be talking loud, but not outright shouting to have a conversation. The general character of the bass was very close and I would not declare the subtle differences I did hear as better for either one.
Of course, this is a subjective evaluation and I know too much about these speakers, so I worry a little about how much expectation bias influences my perceptions, but the difference I did hear was what I had expected - the difference between the tweeters. Actually the TP160 far exceeded my expectation of it against the Infinity CMMD! I was expecting to be disappointed by a loss of "shine" from the trumpets and cymbals when switching to the TP160. I really did not get that!
Ultimately, the best I could describe the difference was that the R152 had a little more sharpness to how something like a high note popped out of a trumpet would break the "silence". The soft dome of the TP160 was a little ...(wait for it) ... softer - it was as loud, but the attack wasn't as abrupt!
However, the TP160 did not sound at all wrong with this effect, the R152 just sounded a little crisper. For me, this is a nod to the Infinity, but if I was counting my dollars, I would give it some thought. Also if you have any issues/sensitivities with listening fatigue, the TP160 would probably be a better speaker because you could listen longer before those popped attacks became aggravating (and trust me, I avoid sitting in front of the trumpets or trombones - often people don't acknowledge that listening fatigue is very real with live music - even acoustic when you are talking brass instruments)!
But my real "take home" was these are very close. I wouldn't give much thought to matching these two speakers for the front three - like I said, I really never got any sense of "let down" and the differences were very subtle.

I revisited the review on Reddit to see if there was anything there that I especially disputed or agreed with:
I had the Q Acoustics 3020 and the Infinity Reference R152 on hand to do a comparison, given the original MSRP of all 3 speakers were around the same, $300-350.

The TP160S, although no bass monster, has better impact than both the 3020 and R152. It sounds like a bigger speaker than the 3020 (which it is),with a fuller, more well rounded sound (and it sounds a little bigger than the R152 as well) It also disappears better than the 3020. Both the TP160S and the 3020 are a touch forward which makes sound more "exciting" at times, but the TP160S never became too shouty/annoying. Tonality is pretty balanced, similar to the Infinity's. The R152 does have a little cleaner sounding highs with more depth and separation in the soundstage with more distinct imaging, but it would've been tougher to notice if I wasn't able to compare them back to back.
I'm good with everything he said. Didn't notice any big changes in soundstage or imaging, but I believe him. I usually spend my thought more with does this sound like the instrument should unless there is a particular aspect that slaps me in the face!

I should say that for this comparison, I did not perform the small EQ adjustments on the TP160 which I had for my earlier listen to Count Bubba at near reference levels (Post #36 from this thread). I presume that is a reflection of the listening level in my (fairly live) room because I never experienced any issue at the lower volume nor even noticed it when switching from the R152's.

Kystorm, I think you'll be happy which ever one of these you get! The R162 at $200 is one of those deals that doesn't come often; but the TP160 for $80 is undoubtedly an even better deal! On that basis, the TPE160 makes the most sense.
The other way to look at it is $200 is still a great price to get a good pair of speakers and $130 is not that much to pay for better speakers, and normally, that would be my recommendation! However the R162 really is only a 1/4 notch above the TP, and as such, I would give more weight to considerations like look and size!

Last edited:
kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
This is about as close of a comparison as I have done.
I would say they are about a 1/4 notch below the Infinities.
Usually when I am comparing two speakers, once I set things up for a quick switch back and forth (and especially in the low price range like these are),it is easy! I just switch back and forth and I really just pay attention to how I feel when I switch which way. IOW, usually I will be more or less consistently disappointed that I pressed the button to switch from (say) A to B and will enjoy the switch back to A. After I have a solid idea which I like better is when I start attempting to dissect what it is about the sound that makes me like one over the other (or that makes one sound more realistic than the other).
This was not so easy between these two speakers as neither gave me that "let down" feeling when I switched to it.
I was impressed at how the Infinity R152 with the smaller woofer kept up with the TP160, but I wasn't running these at reference, I was running them at what I consider a full and solid sound such that you would be talking loud, but not outright shouting to have a conversation. The general character of the bass was very close and I would not declare the subtle differences I did hear as better for either one.
Of course, this is a subjective evaluation and I know too much about these speakers, so I worry a little about how much expectation bias influences my perceptions, but the difference I did hear was what I had expected - the difference between the tweeters. Actually the TP160 far exceeded my expectation of it against the Infinity CMMD! I was expecting to be disappointed by a loss of "shine" from the trumpets and cymbals when switching to the TP160. I really did not get that!
Ultimately, the best I could describe the difference was that the R152 had a little more sharpness to how something like a high note popped out of a trumpet would break the "silence". The soft dome of the TP160 was a little ...(wait for it) ... softer - it was as loud, but the attack wasn't as abrupt!
However, the TP160 did not sound at all wrong with this effect, the R152 just sounded a little crisper. For me, this is a nod to the Infinity, but if I was counting my dollars, I would give it some thought. Also if you have any issues/sensitivities with listening fatigue, the TP160 would probably be a better speaker because you could listen longer before those popped attacks became aggravating (and trust me, I avoid sitting in front of the trumpets or trombones - often people don't acknowledge that listening fatigue is very real with live music - even acoustic when you are talking brass instruments)!
But my real "take home" was these are very close. I wouldn't give much thought to matching these two speakers for the front three - like I said, I really never got any sense of "let down" and the differences were very subtle.

I revisited the review on Reddit to see if there was anything there that I especially disputed or agreed with:

I'm good with everything he said. Didn't notice any big changes in soundstage or imaging, but I believe him. I usually spend my thought more with does this sound like the instrument should unless there is a particular aspect that slaps me in the face!

I should say that for this comparison, I did not perform the small EQ adjustments on the TP160 which I had for my earlier listen to Count Bubba at near reference levels (Post #36 from this thread). I presume that is a reflection of the listening level in my (fairly live) room because I never experienced any issue at the lower volume nor even noticed it when switching from the R152's.

Kystorm, I think you'll be happy which ever one of these you get! The R162 at $200 is one of those deals that doesn't come often; but the TP160 for $80 is undoubtedly an even better deal! On that basis, the TPE160 makes the most sense.
The other way to look at it is $200 is still a great price to get a good pair of speakers and $130 is not that much to pay for better speakers, and normally, that would be my recommendation! However the R162 really is only a 1/4 notch above the TP, and as such, I would give more weight to considerations like look and size!
Good write up, the tp really sounds like winner for the budget minded people. I do know how you love those infinities, so when you say there is a quarter notch difference that is saying something.
Thanks

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Good write up, the tp really sounds like winner for the budget minded people. I do know how you love those infinities, so when you say there is a quarter notch difference that is saying something.
Thanks
It was definitely a surprise!
I knew I enjoyed the TP, but was fairly certain the Infinity would take the stage when they were both in play. That didn't happen - I had to proactively seek the winner instead of it being obvious upon A-B comparison.

I want anyone in the market to know just how good these speakers are and what a bargain the price is!
Because these fared so well against the Infinity, I spent more time listening and I would take the TP160 over the following speakers:

Philharmonitor AA (Dayton Audio version) - I have total confidence in Dennis to get the most possible out of the drivers he uses, but that is a hard limit that even he cannot defy. The TP160 simply has better drivers and DCM did not screw up the crossover. The AA's have more bass, but midrange detail and HF clearly favor the TP160.

Ascend Acoustics 340 - I compared this speaker to the AA's. Both are well tuned, but I preferred the AA's because they offered a higher level of detail! The TP160 offers more detail than the AA! The 340's probably will go even louder, but I have pushed the TP160 hard and they sound great!

Elac Debut B6 - Despite all of the positive reviews and hype, I found these speakers to sound dull. They simply did not convey the energy from the music well. They were easily outclassed by the AA's. The fact that A. Jones did such a dramatic re-tune of this speaker for the Elac Debut B6.2 (which I have not heard, but I have read they are much less laid-back) leads me to believe that Mr. Jones agrees with me:D.

Elac UniFi B5 - Of course the concentric mid-tweeter provides exceptional imaging, but otherwise, I just believe it is a fundamental mistake to make a 3-way at $500/pr MSRP (KEF is well over $1000 before they make the attempt with their concentrics ... unless I missed a model). The driver quality just isn't there and detail is poor. Notably on female vocals I was disappointed with the sound quality! Easy nod to the AA and therefore to the TP160!

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It was definitely a surprise!
I knew I enjoyed the TP, but was fairly certain the Infinity would take the stage when they were both in play. That didn't happen - I had to proactively seek the winner instead of it being obvious upon A-B comparison.

I want anyone in the market to know just how good these speakers are and what a bargain the price is!
Because these fared so well against the Infinity, I spent more time listening and I would take the TP160 over the following speakers:

Philharmonitor AA (Dayton Audio version) - I have total confidence in Dennis to get the most possible out of the drivers he uses, but that is a hard limit that even he cannot defy. The TP160 simply has better drivers and DCM did not screw up the crossover. The AA's have more bass, but midrange detail and HF clearly favor the TP160.

Ascend Acoustics 340 - I compared this speaker to the AA's. Both are well tuned, but I preferred the AA's because they offered a higher level of detail! The TP160 offers more detail than the AA! The 340's probably will go even louder, but I have pushed the TP160 hard and they sound great!

Elac Debut B6 - Despite all of the positive reviews and hype, I found these speakers to sound dull. They simply did not convey the energy from the music well. They were easily outclassed by the AA's. The fact that A. Jones did such a dramatic re-tune of this speaker for the Elac Debut B6.2 (which I have not heard, but I have read they are much less laid-back) leads me to believe that Mr. Jones agrees with me:D.

Elac UniFi B5 - Of course the concentric mid-tweeter provides exceptional imaging, but otherwise, I just believe it is a fundamental mistake to make a 3-way at $500/pr MSRP (KEF is well over $1000 before they make the attempt with their concentrics ... unless I missed a model). The driver quality just isn't there and detail is poor. Notably on female vocals I was disappointed with the sound quality! Easy nod to the AA and therefore to the TP160!
That speaks a lot about the quality and the engineer -- they at times do some things better than the TFE60 -- the Alto Sax on Take Five really stood out

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
While no real threat to your SVS, they are some pretty good speakers .... They will hold their own and more against some popular brand speakers.

Tower speakers -- sold each
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-Tower-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Home-Theater-Audio-DCM-TP260-CH-Single-/193088129247?hash=item2cf4f308df
How is it even possible for them to be so cheap? What brand makes them ? Were manufactured red china somewhere?

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
With all the solid reviews, the low price probably won't stay that low very long

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How is it even possible for them to be so cheap? What brand makes them ? Were manufactured red china somewhere?
Mitek, which is a big company owns DCM -- most speakers sold in the USA are assembled in China, but DCM had good quality control.

They are on clearance pricing, the series is no longer being made -- Mitek (DCM) unloaded the stock, to empty their inventory. The Ebay seller got a good deal, and he is using the TP160S as a leader item -- and it is being passed on. These are no cheapy built speakers, and once in a while a rare deal like this shows up.

S

sublime420ec

Enthusiast
i bought these on ebay when they were first posted i got the tp160s cherry's for 49.99! lol im new to bookshelf speakers always had high end car or computer speakers...i bought a cheap insignia amp to run them ...it cuts off at moderate volume so i have not pushed them real hard need a better amp....but with the junky one i got they get really loud and sound awesome...ac/dc live with these is a blast!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
i bought these on ebay when they were first posted i got the tp160s cherry's for 49.99! lol im new to bookshelf speakers always had high end car or computer speakers...i bought a cheap insignia amp to run them ...it cuts off at moderate volume so i have not pushed them real hard need a better amp....but with the junky one i got they get really loud and sound awesome...ac/dc live with these is a blast!
Wow the deal will be gone before I get a job haha

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis