2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
You are bumming me out. I'm still watching 1080 on both of my TVs.
Seriously is there enough content out there to justify 4 or 8 k?
Thanks
The 1080 upscaling imo makes a 4k TV worth the investment more than 4k content. 1080 content does look better on my Sony 4k sets than it does on my 1080 plasma.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What is it exactly that makes HDR such a difference? I'm still at 1080p. Is it better when watching 4k discs, or does stuff from Netflix or blu rays look that much better too. Basically what am I missing from blu rays or Netflix now?
When I went from 1080 to 4k I didn't notice much at all. I really think it's hdr moreso than resolution that makes the difference.

The colors pop a lot more and the blacks are blacker. Plus I went from a 58" to 75" so that helps too. But yeah, it's just a better picture overall. When I play a video game now I can see stuff I'd never noticed before. Little details like thin little "veins" that run through the life bar and stuff in the minimap that I didn't know was there before.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
When I went from 1080 to 4k I didn't notice much at all. I really think it's hdr moreso than resolution that makes the difference.

The colors pop a lot more and the blacks are blacker. Plus I went from a 58" to 75" so that helps too. But yeah, it's just a better picture overall. When I play a video game now I can see stuff I'd never noticed before. Little details like thin little "veins" that run through the life bar and stuff in the minimap that I didn't know was there before.
I watched an NFL game last weekend at my buddies place....more or less helping him set up his 5.1 surround as well...he has a 75" OLED (maybe a QLED) but one of these higher resolution type sets...I noticed clearly from my 4k Sony was the colors were slightly brighter and blacks were deeper on his TV.

One thing I've learned about myself...I'm fine with a good quality TV picture, but I don't have to have the best quality. When I bought the 1st 4k TV, I sought out 4k content to see if it looked like it did in the store and it did, but eventually I went back to watching TV with the "normal" content and really haven't looked for any 4k content since then.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You are bumming me out. I'm still watching 1080 on both of my TVs.
Seriously is there enough content out there to justify 4 or 8 k?
Thanks
I think the salient thing is the quality of the TV, not the HDR or any other features.

IOW, an awesome 2K-non-HDR TV will beat a mediocre 4K-HDR TV any day.

So if your TV has awesome picture quality, everything will look much better.

I don't think there are a lot of real 4K contents, especially if we are talking about TV or streaming services.

Get an awesome TV (preferably 4K now) and everything will just look awesome - 720p, 1080p, and 2160p (fake or real). :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Right now I have 2 4k HDR/Dolby Vision TVs. I also have two 1080p Panasonic Plasmas. The 4k HDR TVs are OK, but they don't even come close to the PQ of my 65" Panasonic. Yes, the Sony LCD with HDR is brighter, but that's about it. Everything else about the plasma is better. OLED would be the only thing I could upgrade to, or a JVC PJ (which is in the future to replace my lowly HC4000).

Resolution isn't everything.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the salient thing is the quality of the TV, not the HDR or any other features.

IOW, an awesome 2K-non-HDR TV will beat a mediocre 4K-HDR TV any day.

So if your TV has awesome picture quality, everything will look much better.

I don't think there are a lot of real 4K contents, especially if we are talking about TV or streaming services.

Get an awesome TV (preferably 4K now) and everything will just look awesome - 720p, 1080p, and 2160p (fake or real). :D
That's more or less my point. I think resolution has minor impact in PQ overall. I've seen plenty of good 1080p tvs that looked nicer than the 4k I just replaced. It was a bare bones Vizio LCD I got dirt cheap at Sam's Club to replace our older Insignia that had a permanent shadow on one side. I haven't had the best judgement buying TVs in the past, lol. What I have now is the best picture I've had in a TV. It's also the biggest.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That's more or less my point. I think resolution has minor impact in PQ overall. I've seen plenty of good 1080p tvs that looked nicer than the 4k I just replaced. It was a bare bones Vizio LCD I got dirt cheap at Sam's Club to replace our older Insignia that had a permanent shadow on one side. I haven't had the best judgement buying TVs in the past, lol. What I have now is the best picture I've had in a TV. It's also the biggest.
I got one of those for my living room. 70" for under a grand is a sweet deal. HDR on mine (pretty sure mine is the cheapest line Vizio makes) isn't is good as my Sony, but the Sony is a much better TV.

Bang for the buck you can't go wrong with Vizio. I'm very impressed with what I got for the money.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I got one of those for my living room. 70" for under a grand is a sweet deal. HDR on mine (pretty sure mine is the cheapest line Vizio makes) isn't is good as my Sony, but the Sony is a much better TV.

Bang for the buck you can't go wrong with Vizio. I'm very impressed with what I got for the money.
Vizio is Better then my garbage 2015 Sony non hdr tv . Well I have a post on it , and the dissatisfaction.
My guess is early adopters of 8k will end up missing something huge like I did on my non hdr set .

Ultimate bass lover !! Stereo integrity si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Right now I have 2 4k HDR/Dolby Vision TVs. I also have two 1080p Panasonic Plasmas. The 4k HDR TVs are OK, but they don't even come close to the PQ of my 65" Panasonic. Yes, the Sony LCD with HDR is brighter, but that's about it. Everything else about the plasma is better. OLED would be the only thing I could upgrade to, or a JVC PJ (which is in the future to replace my lowly HC4000).

Resolution isn't everything.
Yea, that's the thing I have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma and the picture quality is already really good, although it is not very bright when watching during the day. I would like a brighter TV and could only go up to OLED. I'm not sure what the NITS are on the plasma, I heard somewhere they are only 150 NITS or less and the OLED's are 800 NITS so they should be brighter.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic

Thanks, ok I see. Can I ask what kind of TV you have now? In your signature it says you have a Vizio still.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, ok I see. Can I ask what kind of TV you have now? In your signature it says you have a Vizio still.
I searched for a few days and stumbled across a deal for this 75" TCL 75S423 for $700. Still pretty far from top of the line, but it blows my old Vizio away in terms of color and brightness.

*Edit: I'm not saying I don't like Vizio as a brand, I just didn't know what to look for. I just wanted cheap, so I got what I paid for. All my future TVs will have some form of HDR.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yea, that's the thing I have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma and the picture quality is already really good, although it is not very bright when watching during the day. I would like a brighter TV and could only go up to OLED. I'm not sure what the NITS are on the plasma, I heard somewhere they are only 150 NITS or less and the OLED's are 800 NITS so they should be brighter.
Not quite. Look here and scroll down to HDR brightness. A 100% white window is less than 150 nits for this OLED set.

I do agree that plasma for a bright room sucks. I had mine in my living room and it was terrible, which is why a 70" Vizio now lives there. In my office, it's fantastic. Light controlled room and the only window is behind the TV so brightness isn't an issue at all. It actually measured 115 nits so pretty close to OLED. The QLED/LED TVs are the light cannons. The only reason OLED looks so good with HDR is how deep of a black level they can attain. That and at 20% white they can get up to 600 or so nits. HDR supposedly requires a minimum of 1000 nits from non-OLED sets.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I searched for a few days and stumbled across a deal for this 75" TCL 75S423 for $700. Still pretty far from top of the line, but it blows my old Vizio away in terms of color and brightness.

*Edit: I'm not saying I don't like Vizio as a brand, I just didn't know what to look for. I just wanted cheap, so I got what I paid for. All my future TVs will have some form of HDR.
My 55” Sony non hdr tv was $1100 I got robbed blind by hhgreg in 2015.
Next time I get a tv I’ll spend another $500-1000 and get an oled .
I see 8k as a gimmick like 3d because it’s not technically 8000 x 4340 or whatever it’s
Is qled a gimmick? Or is the quantom dot real ??
Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think resolution matters if you have a 200-inch screen and you sit 10FT away. Haha. :D

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I think resolution matters if you have a 200-inch screen and you sit 10FT away. Haha. :D
That would take a huge room? I don’t see 8k worth it for home TV sets especially if it’s false 8k 7680 not 8000x trash .

Last time I checked 7680was 360 pixels off 320 -420 x 4320 or whatever it is . That’s 1-2 million lost pixels? Did the reptile aliens take them away ?

1,382,400 pixels difference from 8k format when it hits theaters , and already half that for 4k . So by 16k we will have 15,200 pixels??

Do the math I don’t see higher resolution even effective, higher contrast and picture quality is more important and local dimming backlights something I don’t have .
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That would take a huge room? I don’t see 8k worth it for home TV sets especially if it’s false 8k 7680 not 8000x trash .

Last time I checked 7680was 360 pixels off 320 -420 x 4320 or whatever it is . That’s 1-2 million lost pixels? Did the reptile aliens take them away ?

1,382,400 pixels difference from 8k format when it hits theaters , and already half that for 4k . So by 16k we will have 15,200 pixels??

Do the math I don’t see higher resolution even effective, higher contrast and picture quality is more important and local dimming backlights something I don’t have .
Free the reptile aliens
What’s with the spider toy? :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Encouragement is a poor strategy, in this case, methinkst.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What’s the matter? Arachnophobia? Lol
Maybe I should post a picture of a real spider that big in legspan haha, maybe he cannot take a joke ? I saw it at goodwill outlet huntin for movies for dirt cheap haha . Found tron k. Blu-ray no case but rest were all dvd . I figured hey ?? Cool spider
Real question is why is it called 8k if it’s not 8000 pixels ? Weird right more like 7.k

Free the reptile aliens

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Yea, the marking people can't even keep the specs consistent. First it was 1080p, then 4k should be 2k and 8k should be 4k with horizontal lines of resolution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis