Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sure, but did they look that much better than 4k? The video in the op points out that we lack the ability to even see the difference unless you almost press your face against the screen.
MY 4k tv looks worst then my dads Samsung 1080p tv and DVD’s look better on my Sony 40”... I think low or mid range 4k tv suck .
I’m greatly dissatisfied with Sony 4k I should had called Sony and complained while it was under warranty. Hhgreg were con artists glad there’ bankrupt.
Sorry for rant there’s no review section for defunct stores.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Resolution isn't relevant. Expanded color support is where it's at.
Wish I knew that sooner I would had kept my Samsung instead of switching to a 120hz Sony with lower colorgamut .
I’ll never early adopt anything again i wait til 8k is cheap and affordable. Looking for a job I’ll upgrade my audio gear before my hdtv.
The Samsung was only 60hertz at $1100 price range in 2015

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sure, but did they look that much better than 4k? The video in the op points out that we lack the ability to even see the difference unless you almost press your face against the screen.
Right?! It’s like having speakers that extend up to 80khz. I feel like 8k is more marketing than anything. I also think it’s way too soon to start shoving it up our a$$e$. MANY many people don’t even have 4K yet. I said this before...
Fukk 8k.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Yea, I'm still trying to get to 4K now. I don't have time for 8K. Most people I know are still at 1080p. Lots of old movies still come out on DVD only. DVD is still the most popular disc format lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If it looks better, I bet it’s not the resolution part, but rather it’s the colors, contrast/black levels, and brightness.

So for people with money who want the best picture quality (not so much resolution), I say these expensive 8K TV/PJ are worth it to them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yea, I'm still trying to get to 4K now. I don't have time for 8K. Most people I know are still at 1080p. Lots of old movies still come out on DVD only. DVD is still the most popular disc format lol.
Heck, if you’re not at 4K now, just wait for 8K.

You know - skip a generation. From 2K, skip 4K, go to 8K, then skip 16K, then go to 32K. :eek: :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Theaters have real 4k , 8k consumers get a choppy lower pixel product . That’s why it’s hard to tell difference between the two formats . How is 3840 and 7680 even close to theater versions?? What’s the first number in resolution stand for? Millions less pixels then the theater versions ?
I don’t have a 4k pass through avr yet.
Are you saying that you can tell the difference between 2K vs 4K vs 8K at commercial theaters sitting 100 FT away?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Are you saying that you can tell the difference between 2K vs 4K vs 8K at commercial theaters sitting 100 FT away?
I have to sit closer because my eyesight is not that good, I can tell the difference between a 1080 and in 4K. They do me no theater near me can do a K I live too far away from the big city nearest IMAX is like three or four hours away. Usually you noticed a lumina of contrast quicker than the resolution which is really hard to tell.
Further away harder to tell difference.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Some of the TVs at the event were spectacular- the image on the LG OLED had black that was as black as I have seen, including the old KURO displays, which were the best I had seen, if not the finest grain. Colors were outstanding, but none of the manufacturers were showing typical video content, so it was impossible to tell if it really would be ideal.

The way I test- I walk up to the screen and look at the grain, then back away and notice where I am when it's not noticeable. Being far-sighted, it can be anywhere from 10'-15'.

highfigh

highfigh

My Sony tv was 10 bit but don’t greedily didn’t not given it the hdr update despite selling it in many stores as hdr ready .
Pixels are too big making dvd look dreadful.
Color depth and most other specs aren't resolution, though. 10 bit vs 8 bit is noticeable on images where the color darkens from the outside to a specific place, or vise-versa. Lower bit color has visible gradation of darkness, higher bit color is less noticeable and there are more gradations.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Color depth and most other specs aren't resolution, though. 10 bit vs 8 bit is noticeable on images where the color darkens from the outside to a specific place, or vise-versa. Lower bit color has visible gradation of darkness, higher bit color is less noticeable and there are more gradations.
Why did they stop making plasma and kuro?I never had a plasma or a oled but I’m shocked only ultra high end brands make plasma now . One costed $151grand for 101”

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why did they stop making plasma and kuro?I never had a plasma or a oled but I’m shocked only ultra high end brands make plasma now . One costed $151grand for 101”
What plasma sets are currently being produced/offered?

highfigh

highfigh

Because they used more energy and it made California sad, they were heavy (shipping costs were much higher) and Best Buy didn't like selling them (probably because of the shipping costs).

The general opinion in the industry is that the KURO was the best and many manufacturers still make comments about their displays having qualities that approach plasma, Off-angle viewing is one of them. Color accuracy and black level were also better in many models.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
We may or may not have reached the point of depreciating returns with video, but imo there will probably never be enough content in my lifetime to even justify a 4k set (I have two of them), much less an 8k set.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
We may or may not have reached the point of depreciating returns with video, but imo there will probably never be enough content in my lifetime to even justify a 4k set (I have two of them), much less an 8k set.
As you can see from my recent posts I’m greatly disappointed in my 4k tv as I got it before hdr was standard. It’s 10 bit panel but for the most part worse then my 1080p 2010 tv that was cheaper .

I’ve had it with gimmicks I’m going to wait until modern displays get closer to old pioneer kuro levels . I always wanted one but financial difficulties stopped me from even buying a used one .
I’ll spend some time doing applications for a job , then once I find a job worry about Getting a new tv one that does not suck .
Mine is just terrible light bleeding and stuff in dark movies were it’s like un watchable almost.
Oddly Netflix 1080p upconverts and often looks really good , except on older content.
Gotta stick to higher def content!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just went from a non HDR tv to one that has it and the difference is huge. Exceeded my expectations even. It was almost like the first time I went from SD to 1080p.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I just went from a non HDR tv to one that has it and the difference is huge. Exceeded my expectations even. It was almost like the first time I went from SD to 1080p.
You are bumming me out. I'm still watching 1080 on both of my TVs.
Seriously is there enough content out there to justify 4 or 8 k?
Thanks

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You are bumming me out. I'm still watching 1080 on both of my TVs.
Seriously is there enough content out there to justify 4 or 8 k?
Thanks
Not 8k. But a 4k UHD HDR Sony is a nice thing. ;)
(I'm certain others are good too... I just like my Sonys these days! And right now, I'm putting my money on DV rather than the Samsung option.)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Not 8k. But a 4k UHD HDR Sony is a nice thing. ;)
(I'm certain others are good too... I just like my Sonys these days! And right now, I'm putting my money on DV rather than the Samsung option.)
Thanks

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
What is it exactly that makes HDR such a difference? I'm still at 1080p. Is it better when watching 4k discs, or does stuff from Netflix or blu rays look that much better too. Basically what am I missing from blu rays or Netflix now?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis