İs my subwoofer faulty?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The official greek seller claims it actually, in a review article posted in a greek sound magazine. İt claims its a music subwoofer with harmonic, delicate and clean tones, and Jazz sounds very well. İt admits somewhere in article that is not for movies at it doesnt play loud low.
İt says also that the Equalizer gives it boost low but it destroys the sound.
İ can give you the link but its in greek and its an image.
The manufacturer’s official website writes the text i posted some posts up.(harmonic modern and sober tones....)
When I hear “music” subwoofer, I take it as not having any extension(doesn’t play deep). I think you have discovered this already. Unfortunately...
Sellers claim all kinds of things. Ford says they build great trucks, bose claims they make great audio equipment. Claims are easy to make, especially these days. The harsh reality is people need to be informed when they go out to make big purchases. I feel like you believed this was a good purchase and maybe for someone it would be. But if you want a real HT experience this sub will not do. Sorry. Put it on eBay and use that money to fund a new sub. I don’t want to discourage you. Quite the contrary. There is a lot of great bass to be had out there, and I’d like to see you able to enjoy it. To me, great bass is an investment and one worth making.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When I hear “music” subwoofer, I take it as not having any extension(doesn’t play deep). I think you have discovered this already. Unfortunately...
Sellers claim all kinds of things. Ford says they build great trucks, bose claims they make great audio equipment. Claims are easy to make, especially these days. The harsh reality is people need to be informed when they go out to make big purchases. I feel like you believed this was a good purchase and maybe for someone it would be. But if you want a real HT experience this sub will not do. Sorry. Put it on eBay and use that money to fund a new sub. I don’t want to discourage you. Quite the contrary. There is a lot of great bass to be had out there, and I’d like to see you able to enjoy it. To me, great bass is an investment and one worth making.
We need a hard, fast standard in the audio industry. Some of the advertising is just straight up false. Booshit.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well @killbill13, you're here and you seem very dissatisfied with your sub's performance below 50 hz so something isn't right for you. Subs that can play much deeper will sound just as good (in the case of the sub you have now, I think better) for music as anything. I can see an argument for using a lower quality sub for home theater only and you could get by, but not very good for music. Any of the subs we've been recommending are fantastic for music. I'll repeat, SVS has the cleanest sounding subs I've heard and they're very, very good for music or home theater.
Morning poges! Just want to say I totally agree with the music portion of this post. But have to dissuade any encouragement to use lower quality subs for HT. Ive never subscribed to the one sub for each line of thinking. HT puts great demands on subs, even more than music if you want a real great experience. IMO it’s the same underpinnings as music, just in a different range. Ok. Sorry, going for more coffee.
Good morning...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
We need a hard, fast standard in the audio industry. Some of the advertising is just straight up false. Booshit.
Absolutely! My favorite one used to be walking through the store and seeing an 18” squared box labeled “10,000 watt home theater system”. Wtf...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Morning poges! Just want to say I totally agree with the music portion of this post. But have to dissuade any encouragement to use lower quality subs for HT. Ive never subscribed to the one sub for each line of thinking. HT puts great demands on subs, even more than music if you want a real great experience. IMO it’s the same underpinnings as music, just in a different range. Ok. Sorry, going for more coffee.
Good morning...
You're not wrong. Personally I want good subwoofers for everything. Music and HT. Anything else is not worth it. I would never buy a sub that's only made for one or the other. If a sub can play music well, it can do HT well also.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If I started handing out thumbs up and check marks right now, I’d be at it til I board the plane! ;)

Couldn’t
Agree
More
!!!!!

I love my X13s! I keep them in extended mode and they rock out hard, whether it’s upright bass in a jazz combo, Wagner or Shostakovich, Keith Jarrett or Tori slamming the keys, infrasonics courtesy of Subwoofer Candy, or Godzilla anime shaking the M.F. foundation for a minute plus!!!!

I’m careful to not preach Outlaw to people, rather remind them that they are good Subs, too. ;)

End of the day, nothing beats good quality bass, and I'm still exploring what that means! Can’t wait to build some... Subwoofer Summer is quickly becoming Winter Is Coming! But soon, my friends. Soon.

@killbill13
Don’t give up hope! Keep pushing how you see best. You can improve your system in many ways. The best approach is to set a deliberate goals. Target the free and low-cost improvements first. Definitely work towards a Sub improvement: this will raise the bar to Olympian heights for rig!

Most important, remember to sit back and enjoy!

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Well @killbill13, you're here and you seem very dissatisfied with your sub's performance below 50 hz so something isn't right for you. Subs that can play much deeper will sound just as good (in the case of the sub you have now, I think better) for music as anything. I can see an argument for using a lower quality sub for home theater only and you could get by, but not very good for music. Any of the subs we've been recommending are fantastic for music. I'll repeat, SVS has the cleanest sounding subs I've heard and they're very, very good for music or home theater.
I am chilling out now. Since the last improvements(graphics posted) i have something close to sub. I am wathing “the last Czars” on netflix it goes to 4K and the bass is good without explotions yet. You can give it a try.
I generally agree with you

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, point take....so how do you make one for jazz particularly like this manufacturer claims? ;) You're just talking about appropriate drivers for a sub application....a good accurate sub will still be fine for either. A music only sub, depending on the music you like, may not need to dig as deep, tho.
The idea of a sub made for jazz particularly is just marketing bullshit.

I agree in that, depending on the type of music which you listen to, a sub may not need to dig as deep. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Which then begs the question... why not invest in speakers that will perform for music without the sub? You are either chasing ~30Hz or 15Hz... in an overly simplistic manner. ;)
25Hz doesn’t get you much more than low 30s, definitely not a dedicated LFE Channel.
:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which then begs the question... why not invest in speakers that will perform for music without the sub? You are either chasing ~30Hz or 15Hz... in an overly simplistic manner. ;)
25Hz doesn’t get you much more than low 30s, definitely not a dedicated LFE Channel.
:)
If that's all you want, sure. It becomes something else for a multi-ch system and lower bass; truly capable speakers like the JTR 215RTs would be nice, particularly enough of them for multich, tho seven 16cuft boxes may be a bit much for many :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If that's all you want, sure. It becomes something else for a multi-ch system and lower bass; truly capable speakers like the JTR 215RTs would be nice, particularly enough of them for multich, tho seven 16cuft boxes may be a bit much for many :)
I would love a week or two with his largest 3-way Noesis speakers!!!!! ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The official greek seller claims it actually, in a review article posted in a greek sound magazine. İt claims its a music subwoofer with harmonic, delicate and clean tones, and Jazz sounds very well. İt admits somewhere in article that is not for movies at it doesnt play loud low.
İt says also that the Equalizer gives it boost low but it destroys the sound.
İ can give you the link but its in greek and its an image.
The manufacturer’s official website writes the text i posted some posts up.(harmonic modern and sober tones....)

Audio magazine subjective reviews are mostly crap IMO, especially when it comes up with descriptions like "harmonic, delicate and clean tones". Yes, lower extension is better to capture the content in movie soundtracks. Depending on the jazz, probably not as important, but for some should be at least strong to high 20s/low 30s hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well it said that sealed have less group delay that ported subs, if that is indeed true, the sealed sub would be preferred over ported. I don't know if that claim has been substantiated through objective testing. There is a gentlemen here with Audioholics that claim " group delay" could be audible. Tight bass is considered "musical" bass without a lot of over hang.
You referring to @shadyJ ?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know that I've ever said that regarding group delay.
However, if you are saying Group delay could never be audible, I would be looking for a more thorough explanation.
The statement that "Group delay could be audible" seems pretty sound to me!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis