New to home theaters. Need some help

M

MauriceC

Audiophyte
I'm buying a new house and the builder is pre-wiring for a 5.2.4 Atmos in walls speakers (9 speakers + 2 sub-woofers). They predetermined the placement of the in wall speakers. My question is what speakers do I need to get? Do they have to be "Atmos speakers", Not sure what that means. Any suggestions on brands, models etc.
Thanks in advance.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

If not too late, consider 7.2.4 if the room size is large enough, seating from the rear wall is at least 6 ft.
Is the builder familiar with locating speakers locations? Is he consulting an audio consultant perhaps?
Is projector a possibility? May want to have a location pre-wired?

Others will discuss speakers.

M

MauriceC

Audiophyte
Welcome to AH.

If not too late, consider 7.2.4 if the room size is large enough, seating from the rear wall is at least 6 ft.
Is the builder familiar with locating speakers locations? Is he consulting an audio consultant perhaps?
Is projector a possibility? May want to have a location pre-wired?

Others will discuss speakers.
Thank you. The builder tells me that they use audio consultants to determine the speaker placements for the different setups they offer. The room is fairly large (20 x 25). I don't know if they offer a 7.2.4 setup.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Is this a house you bought from a developer or your lot and hired a contractor.
Doesn't hurt to ask. Or, just ask to prewire for two speakers on the rear wall behind the listening location. 6 ft high or so and probably about 6 ft to 8 ft apart.
Projector in the future?

M

MauriceC

Audiophyte
Is this a house you bought from a developer or your lot and hired a contractor.
Doesn't hurt to ask. Or, just ask to prewire for two speakers on the rear wall behind the listening location. 6 ft high or so and probably about 6 ft to 8 ft apart.
Projector in the future?
I bought it from a builder. They are semi-custom homes so I have a little bit of flexibility (the house is not framed yet). I will ask them to pre-wire for 2 more speakers and see what they say. I had the option of getting all the equipment (speakers, amps etc.) from them but they wanted an insane amount for it. So I thought pre-wiring was a good option as it was pretty affordable.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Good for you not falling for their equipment offer.
Do you have a drawing of the room and how they are planning to locate the speakers?
Oh, and great that you didn't wait until they were ready to wire as is the usual case with such questions.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Be sure to have at least two 20 amp 120 outlets for your room. And have one pre setup for a projector, then when the time comes all you have to do is cut the hole and install the outlet in the ceiling
Make sure that the power outlets are on their own 20 amp breaker, I would do two on each side of the wall that the tv will be at and two on the rear wall for subs. One or two for each corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MauriceC

Audiophyte
Good for you not falling for their equipment offer.
Do you have a drawing of the room and how they are planning to locate the speakers?
Oh, and great that you didn't wait until they were ready to wire as is the usual case with such questions.
I don't have the final drawings yet. I should get them in a few days.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't have the final drawings yet. I should get them in a few days.
William posted the 60 page installation guidelines that covers many different layouts. That would be a good reference document to have.

For a quick read, here are the one page versions the for 7.1.4, and 5.1.4 layouts, using 4 overhead speakers for Atmos:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf

1568737402262.png

For 5.1.4:

1568737618026.png

Hopefully the audio consultant will do a good job, but it won't hurt for you to be there when they pull the wires, and make sure they use generously sized wires, what ever the wire chart says, I would go with at least one size larger.

M

MauriceC

Audiophyte
William posted the 60 page installation guidelines that covers many different layouts. That would be a good reference document to have.

For a quick read, here are the one page versions the for 7.1.4, and 5.1.4 layouts, using 4 overhead speakers for Atmos

Hopefully the audio consultant will do a good job, but it won't hurt for you to be there when they pull the wires, and make sure they use generously sized wires, what ever the wire chart says, I would go with at least one size larger.
Thank you. The preliminary drawings don't look like that. They have 7 ceiling speakers, 2 in the back wall and 2 sub-woofers in the front.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you. The preliminary drawings don't look like that. They have 7 ceiling speakers, 2 in the back wall and 2 sub-woofers in the front.
Huh... bad start already. Atmos needs a bed layer and a height layer. That means you’ll need 5 or 7 bed level speakers(think normal 5/7.1) and 2 to 4 height or top speakers.

Unless of course you want a regular 7.1/.2 system. That of course will still be compromised.

Umm. 7 ceiling and 2 in the back wall? I’m confused...

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
What’s your location? Maybe someone close to you that has the knowledge of this could come by and lend a hand with this
I do know this. The way this contractor is laying it out is 100% wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To me, it is better to follow Dolby's recommendations. I would use ceiling speakers for the 4 Atmos positions only, but it is your choice, you are the boss.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And they hire someone who knows how to "design" speaker layout? LOL! Ceiling speakers for most with two in-walls in the rear seems the opposite of knowing what they're doing....(except for pleasing perhaps a wife who doesn't want those ugly box speakers in "her" room).

M

MauriceC

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone for the responses. I contacted the builder and relayed my concerns. They agreed that something is wrong. It looks like instead of placing the 3 front speakers on the front wall, they put them in the ceiling. They are contacting the audio people and will have them call me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks everyone for the responses. I contacted the builder and relayed my concerns. They agreed that something is wrong. It looks like instead of placing the 3 front speakers on the front wall, they put them in the ceiling. They are contacting the audio people and will have them call me.
That's a start but still not right for the bed layer of surrounds....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yes, that is a good start but don't have them rush this. Best if you have floor speakers for the three fronts, hence the junction boxes low on the wall. Side and rear surrounds on wall would be better than in wall. Only the 4 Atmos in the ceiling. Also, make sure the subs are not by the front wall unless that is the only option.
There are better locations if possible.
Make sure they know what kind of speaker wire to use, at least 14 ga and perhaps 12 ga.. Interconnect cables with RCA connections to the subs.
From that ceiling screwup who knows what else is messed up.
HDMI to TV or projector from wherever the equipment is placed. If in a closet space, have good ventilation and you will need remote control sensors and wiring to it.
120V outlets at the sub locations.
Cat 6 cables for internet connection, streaming.
Now is the time to get it right, before framing. May want the cables in electric tubing so you can add, replace or whatever if needed later.And, perhaps, strings in each between outlet boxes so cables can be pulled in the future?

ps. ask them to label the cables at both ends which goes where so you don't have to troubleshoot which is which later.

Last edited:
R

roddiraju

Audiophyte
With 5.1.2 or 5.1.4, can the rear surround speakers go on the rear wall, when the real wall is further 10 ft behind the couch, If the length of the room is 25 ft and the main seating area is 10-15 ft from the front wall in the center.
Thanks in advance.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

With 5.1.2 or 5.1.4, can the rear surround speakers go on the rear wall, when the real wall is further 10 ft behind the couch, If the length of the room is 25 ft and the main seating area is 10-15 ft from the front wall in the center.
Thanks in advance.
Well, if it is a 5.. system, best to have the surrounds about 90 degrees from sitting location, not rear wall as per that image above for a 5.. system.
If you do a 7.. system that distance is ok and volume will be calibrated properly on setup program.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis