Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's the description:

Infinity Compositions Overture OVTR-1 Speakers

Self amplified speakers with speaker level inputs. Their appearance may be fair and the grilles are missing but they sound great! All drivers are working. I'll have them setup so you can hear.

$50 cash for the pair. Available for pickup in Fountain Hills 85268.

They're missing grills and I can see some scuffs in the other images.

00D0D_ipz2O96cNaU_600x450.jpg
00B0B_3hvCmmuEWHv_600x450.jpg
00f0f_bKZ91yMlmQn_600x450 (1).jpg
00B0B_iEFcJiyeC6c_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You like the Overtures, huh? I know nothing about them. That big bass driver on the side is a little unusual for a bs speaker.
I have not listened to them, but they are Infinity high-end and I believe they were designed by Andrew Jones who was with Infinity at one time -- if you do not like them, then you can resale them for a profit

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Here's the description:

Infinity Compositions Overture OVTR-1 Speakers

Self amplified speakers with speaker level inputs. Their appearance may be fair and the grilles are missing but they sound great! All drivers are working. I'll have them setup so you can hear.

$50 cash for the pair. Available for pickup in Fountain Hills 85268.

They're missing grills and I can see some scuffs in the other images.
If you do not have much to do then at least listen to them -- I think they go for $175 and up on Ebay

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you do not have much to do then at least listen to them -- I think they go for $175 and up on Ebay
I sent him an email and offered $35, citing the missing grills and them being a little scraped up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a reply. He said he'd take $35 for them! I can go check them out tomorrow afternoon.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You like the Overtures, huh? I know nothing about them. That big bass driver on the side is a little unusual for a bs speaker.
I'm pretty sure that the big cone that you see on the side is a passive radiator, not a woofer. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, that looks weird. Unless those 8 inch drivers are operating with a low pass filter at around 100 Hz or slightly lower, I believe they would show phase response problems.
Dunno. They were an upper tier speaker for Infinity at the time. I read somewhere they went for $1000/pr new back in the late 90s.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the Overtures hooked up and listening to them right now. They're good! They sound really nice and everything is working very well. The highs are a little more forward than my Ultras, but I kind of like that. Tho I can see them getting a bit fatiguing listening at higher volumes for long periods. I think I done good this time!

So, the same guy has another set that he brought out and hooked up for me to listen to and the brand sort of rings a bell, but I'm not familiar with them at all. Acoustat Carbostar 217s? They sounded pretty good and build quality is pretty good too. Heavy, solid and a nice dull thud when you rap the cab with your knucks. He had both sets hooked up in his garage so the setup wasn't exactly ideal, but I toed them in, made the triangle and got a little feel for them. Bass seems almost on par with my Ultra bs but the rest was more garage than speakers. The Overtures sound A LOT better in my living room than in his garage (phew). I figured they would. He's asking $100 for them and I have no clue.

28078.jpeg
28073.jpeg
28076.jpeg
28074.jpeg
28075.jpeg
28071.jpeg

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The price for that Acoustat bookshelf seems a little high, and the resale value may not be real friendly -- but they do look decent/nice

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The price for that Acoustat bookshelf seems a little high, and the resale value may not be real friendly -- but they do look decent/nice
I can't find a damned thing on them. I know why they sound familiar tho. Acoustat are known for making electrostatic speakers. I found one post on a forum and one on Reddit asking about their little brothers, the Carbostar 215. There aren't even any images available on all of Google for these things. I'm thinking you're right about resale value. Nobody's even heard of them.

That's too bad because they do sound really nice and I'll bet I can get him to knock 25 or 30 bucks off his asking price. With a little arm twisting I might even get him down to 50, but even at that finding a buyer would be a big challenge.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
NHT Super Zeros for $70
00z0z_4mQhIBvPFg4_600x450.jpg
00g0g_cq34ws9b1lc_600x450.jpg

JBL Sat2s for $40
00N0N_8H61Rh1wJEF_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_6t4gWuifqIL_600x450.jpg

Mini Advent for $60
00n0n_kJsxOhePuFV_600x450.jpg
01616_5LhqtJgI3IM_600x450.jpg

Acoustic Image GT 338s for $75
00404_1g2yvTBRBxV_600x450.jpg
00y0y_4KJeyKNMM1a_600x450.jpg
00R0R_3Mrd5pL5hac_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, these ones are $100 and I don't know anything about them, but they look interesting. Dahlton KV 1550 Ls(?)
00Y0Y_Ma6706zeH0_600x450.jpg
00e0e_jP9uJ7kJSPM_600x450.jpg
01212_9eaubvi7MnI_600x450.jpg
00606_28dNFbJsRKB_600x450.jpg
00M0M_7NxcTDdve6X_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the look of those mini Advents. Did you end up buying them?
PS I used to own some New Advents back in the late 70s...
No, I didn't buy anything. I'm just posting my finds to see if anyone flips out and tells me to "RUN and get those speakers now!!!". These caught my attention just now. KEF Reference 100s for $85/pr. I know KEF is is a no brainer, but I don't know anything about these. They're 90's era KEF and they're in great shape. One small hole in one of the grills.
00I0I_b6dYu16eoFk_600x450.jpg
00V0V_cvOOrribQrc_600x450.jpg
00s0s_g8gvCkeGcYp_600x450.jpg
00e0e_liAFrSk7ffw_600x450.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Dahlton and Acoustic Image seem to have a white-van look to them -- and I would pass on the SuperZero, JBL, and Advent -- I would listen to the KEF if you have a chance

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Definitive Celsius are pretty good speakers -- if you can get him down some, since grills are missing -- these speakers were made just before the HT craze and before their Studio Monitors -- strong and deep cabinets.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/d/peoria-definitive-technology-celsius/6978478207.html

This Ebay add will give you a better Idea of what a set looks like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-Celsius-Bookshelf-Speakers/264393370796?hash=item3d8f12acac:g:oNsAAOSwIipdJVfU

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Definitive Celsius are pretty good speakers -- if you can get him down some, since grills are missing -- these speakers were made just before the HT craze and before their Studio Monitors -- strong and deep cabinets.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ele/d/peoria-definitive-technology-celsius/6978478207.html

This Ebay add will give you a better Idea of what a set looks like
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-Celsius-Bookshelf-Speakers/264393370796?hash=item3d8f12acac:g:oNsAAOSwIipdJVfU
I saw those DefTechs and passed over them because 100 bucks. You piqued my curiosity a little bit now tho. If they aren't far I might check 'em out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis