The Ultimate Battle : Stereo Performance of AVRs ?

B

Boorock70

Audiophyte
Hey Gene and guys,
How about an ultimate test of "The Stereo Performance of AVRs?"

Same segment, same ranked AVRs battle on the best stereo reproduction ?

A bloodbath of the giants...:eek:
Yamaha vs. Denon vs. Marantz vs. Pioneer vs. Onkyo on the same Stereo Floorstanders SetUp !
That will be a hell of a review and a definite youtube hit for sure. :cool:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Gene and guys,
How about an ultimate test of "The Stereo Performance of AVRs?"

Same segment, same ranked AVRs battle on the best stereo reproduction ?

A bloodbath of the giants...:eek:
Yamaha vs. Denon vs. Marantz vs. Pioneer vs. Onkyo on the same Stereo Floorstanders SetUp !
That will be a hell of a review and a definite youtube hit for sure. :cool:
The problem is, these AVRs probably would not differ much for stereo. What is more, readers will be much more interested in what they can do for surround sound setups than stereo systems, so it wouldn't have much interest. Not to say that such an article wouldn't be interesting. I think a better idea would be surround sound AVRs vs equally priced integrated amps or stereo receivers.

B

Boorock70

Audiophyte
The problem is, these AVRs probably would not differ much for stereo. What is more, readers will be much more interested in what they can do for surround sound setups than stereo systems, so it wouldn't have much interest. Not to say that such an article wouldn't be interesting. I think a better idea would be surround sound AVRs vs equally priced integrated amps or stereo receivers.
It can be a 2 parts review.
1- The point is to have the AVR that has best stereo performance, cause lots of people are using AVRs as stereo systems too. So we will learn who is the stereo king.

2- Best stereo performing AVR vs Stereo-only AMPs can be the 2nd part. Because everybody knows and admits that AVRs can't keep up with 2ch AMPs in terms of stereo. The best stereo performing AVR vs same segment stereo AMPs can be challenging and highly informative in that case...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Most members here know that AVRs from popular brands all perform well in stereo. They have been designed to do so. It would be a waste of time and effort to start testing them for that kind of performance.
Stereo is not new. It has been existing for more than 60 years.

B

Boorock70

Audiophyte
Most members here know that AVRs from popular brands all perform well in stereo. They have been designed to do so. It would be a waste of time and effort to start testing them for that kind of performance.
Stereo is not new. It has been existing for more than 60 years.
Really...?
"AVRs from popular brands all perform well in stereo" o_O
That "well" was the most scientific identification, I've heard in a while... and believe me they simply don't !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Really...?
That "well" was the most scientific identification, I've heard in a while... and believe me they simply don't !
LOL what a load. Just how do you define "stereo performance"?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Really...?
What is your scientific knowledge?
Explain with reliable proof that they don't, with brands, models and serious reviews and testing proving your assumptions.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Because everybody knows and admits that AVRs can't keep up with 2ch AMPs in terms of stereo.
Who is "everybody? Did you take a poll?

Jeez, yet another exercise in mental masturbation perpetrated by a newbie.. I know there;s a word for that but I can't think of it right now.

Oh yeah...

troll or stupid.jpg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I was hoping against hope that the OP was genuinely interested in seeing a bakeoff with AVR's just doing 2.0 or 2.1 against each other just to see how it would all come out. Genuine curiousity fueled by the viewpoint that something revealing would occur or some brand would be a standout.

I should have known better.

As soon as he dropped chestnuts like "Because everybody knows and admits that AVRs can't keep up with 2ch AMPs in terms of stereo" I knew things were coming off the rails of reality. What's next? A bakeoff between Vinyl and CD's because everybody knows that CD's can keep up with Vinyl doing stereo?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was hoping against hope that the OP was genuinely interested in seeing a bakeoff with AVR's just doing 2.0 or 2.1 against each other just to see how it would all come out. Genuine curiousity fueled by the viewpoint that something revealing would occur or some brand would be a standout.

I should have known better.

As soon as he dropped chestnuts like "Because everybody knows and admits that AVRs can't keep up with 2ch AMPs in terms of stereo" I knew things were coming off the rails of reality. What's next? A bakeoff between Vinyl and CD's because everybody knows that CD's can keep up with Vinyl doing stereo?
Yeah buck, I nominate the next one can be wireless subwoofer transmitters vs rca vs rg-6!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah buck, I nominate the next one can be wireless subwoofer transmitters vs rca vs rg-6!
How about a shootout with speaker cables from all of the usual suspects? I'm not talking Audioquest or their ilk either. Like Monoprice vs Blue Jeans vs Home Depot vs Best Buy vs Amazon, etc. Because everyone knows Monoprice speaker cables can't keep up with Audioquest...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How about a shootout with speaker cables from all of the usual suspects? I'm not talking Audioquest or their ilk either. Like Monoprice vs Blue Jeans vs Home Depot vs Best Buy vs Amazon, etc. Because everyone knows Monoprice speaker cables can't keep up with Audioquest...
Ya sho got dat righ!!!
For fun, we should include @gene ‘s hanger wire in there too. I think I’ve actually seen tinfoil rolled into lengths of conductor too. I mean if we’re going to all lengths(no pun intended lol).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I actually wouldn't mind a good review of several popular brands of cables and interconnects.
On the technical side you could measure how consistently dimensions of the terminals are maintained including the "pull off force" required for RCA connections, how stiff vs pliable the cords are (maybe the bend radius at .5 lb force), and commentary on aesthetics!
If HDMI is included, their ability to meet all criteria for certification could actually get quite technically involved, but otherwise it would be a pretty simple array of tests and subjective experience.
But I would like a "best utilitarian cords" and "best boutique cord"! The best boutique cord would have to function well, but would include aesthetic considerations for those who include the look of their cords in the package of having a system to pride themselves in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis