RBH Sound Owner's Thread

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That I can do for the LCR.

So if I add some reference speakers for my side surrounds, which are about a 1-2 feet above my ear level and 7 feet from my listening position, you'd recommend I get the dome tweeter version for those?
I would recommend you aim them toward your listening position if possible, even with a dome tweeter version. The reason is if you are at a far angle on the vertical axis, you may be listening in a null at the crossover frequency since the woofer and tweeter are at different distances in that position.

E

Erod

Audioholic
I would recommend you aim them toward your listening position if possible, even with a dome tweeter version. The reason is if you are at a far angle on the vertical axis, you may be listening in a null at the crossover frequency since the woofer and tweeter are at different distances in that position.
I've read everywhere (including from Gene) that side surrounds should be about a foot above the listening position to prevent those channels from blaring straight into your ears from closer proximity than the other speakers.

In fact, I've always used bipoles in that position for that reason. I don't see a bipole option from RBH.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've read everywhere (including from Gene) that side surrounds should be about a foot above the listening position to prevent those channels from blaring straight into your ears from closer proximity than the other speakers.

In fact, I've always used bipoles in that position for that reason. I don't see a bipole option from RBH.
That advice is only for cases where you have a seat that is right next to a surround. In that case, the response will matter less than the increased level due to proximity. If you are concerned with your primary listening position, aim the speakers right at that location.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I was living in my previous house, the room was only 15x17, so my SX-T2/R Surround Tower were very close to my ears. :D

But I never noticed any kind of "issues" with that.

I think the salient thing is keeping the levels balanced and making sure the surrounds aren't louder than they should be.

E

Erod

Audioholic
That advice is only for cases where you have a seat that is right next to a surround. In that case, the response will matter less than the increased level due to proximity. If you are concerned with your primary listening position, aim the speakers right at that location.
I was just told by RBH that, because these AMTs are more square than the typical just long and vertical types, the vertical dispersion is greater.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was just told by RBH that, because these AMTs are more square than the typical just long and vertical types, the vertical dispersion is greater.
You can see that the AMT used by RBH does begin to constrict on the vertical axis at around 4kHz to 5kHz or so:

There is a review coming up soon of a speaker that uses a similar sized AMT that has the same behavior. Domes don't usually start beaning at that low of a frequency.

E

Erod

Audioholic
You can see that the AMT used by RBH does begin to constrict on the vertical axis at around 4kHz to 5kHz or so:

There is a review coming up soon of a speaker that uses a similar sized AMT that has the same behavior. Domes don't usually start beaning at that low of a frequency.
OK, so on axis, this is not a bad thing. But off axis, it's a problem. Correct?

E

Erod

Audioholic
Pulled the trigger finally on two SV-661R bookshelves and the SV-661CR center channel. They'll new paired with my two SVS subwoofers.

The woofers were upgraded to beryllium to go with the AMT tweeters. Really looking forward to seeing how those work together.

Fun weekend ahead. Should have them by Saturday.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Pulled the trigger finally on two SV-661R bookshelves and the SV-661CR center channel. They'll new paired with my two SVS subwoofers.

The woofers were upgraded to beryllium to go with the AMT tweeters. Really looking forward to seeing how those work together.

Have fun with em and let us know how they sound!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Congrats! I’m sure they’ll sound great.

That’s a lot of “SV” in there. :D

E

Erod

Audioholic
Have fun with em and let us know how they sound!
Early review after one night of listening.

Very revealing speakers, so much so that the center channel is more "apparent" than I'm used to. I like it, but I'll have to get used to it. The AMT definitely has a different sound to it. More airy and a little brighter than the domes I had before.

So far, so good.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Very revealing speakers...
I like it, but I'll have to get used to it.
This has typically been my experience with RBH speakers as well. I remember when I started using them, it made me realize how lousy many of my digital copies were!!! Their speakers would so often expose recordings for what they really were. Kind of pushed me into the realm of SACD and Hi-Res audio, or higher quality standard CDs and vinyl, where I've replaced a bunch of my library over the years. Haha. Enjoy!!!

I noticed stuff that I never did with speakers of lesser quality. You'll get used to it and really start to appreciate and love it. Really brings some of that old vinyl or hi-res files (based off reel to reel masters) to life! There's kind of no going back once you become accustomed to their particular sound. :)

E

Erod

Audioholic
This has typically been my experience with RBH speakers as well. I remember when I started using them, it made me realize how lousy many of my digital copies were!!! Their speakers would so often expose recordings for what they really were. Kind of pushed me into the realm of SACD and Hi-Res audio, or higher quality standard CDs and vinyl, where I've replaced a bunch of my library over the years. Haha. Enjoy!!!

I noticed stuff that I never did with speakers of lesser quality. You'll get used to it and really start to appreciate and love it. Really brings some of that old vinyl or hi-res files (based off reel to reel masters) to life! There's kind of no going back once you become accustomed to their particular sound. :)
Yes, I already am. I think the was a few hours of break in that helped, but I'm also hearing all sorts of little detail that I missed before in other familiar scenes and music. Stuff like keys on a computer sound more specific, and strings sound terrific musically. Incredibly accurate speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Detail/Resolution is the salient characteristic of great speakers.

Back when I was comparing the Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion, KEF Reference 201/2 to the RBH SX-T2, detail/resolution stood out the most.

M

markl9

Audiophyte
Hello fellow RBH fans,

I’ve been enjoying my RBH speakers for a few years. I have a mix of the SV and SX models, all small (no towers), 7 speakers in total. All are the non R models with the silk dome tweeters. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Anthem MRX 1120 and my buddy brought over his B&W towers to see how they would sound on the Anthem. After hearing the difference these full range speakers made, especially for music, I have the upgrade bug. My budget is about $5K so I could get the RBH reference towers. Do you think the SV6500R would blend ok with my older RBH speakers or should I go with the non R tower model (SV6500)? I could go with another brand, but I know that could lead to eventually replacing everything which would be very expensive. There are local dealers where I can listen to Focal, Revel, B&W, Dynaudio, and Paradigm. All of these brands get great reviews in this price range. My listening is about 80% movies / 20% music. Just heard many of these at RMAF in Denver, but unfortunately, I don’t think RBH was there (at least I couldn’t find them).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

E

Erod

Audioholic
Hello fellow RBH fans,

I’ve been enjoying my RBH speakers for a few years. I have a mix of the SV and SX models, all small (no towers), 7 speakers in total. All are the non R models with the silk dome tweeters. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Anthem MRX 1120 and my buddy brought over his B&W towers to see how they would sound on the Anthem. After hearing the difference these full range speakers made, especially for music, I have the upgrade bug. My budget is about $5K so I could get the RBH reference towers. Do you think the SV6500R would blend ok with my older RBH speakers or should I go with the non R tower model (SV6500)? I could go with another brand, but I know that could lead to eventually replacing everything which would be very expensive. There are local dealers where I can listen to Focal, Revel, B&W, Dynaudio, and Paradigm. All of these brands get great reviews in this price range. My listening is about 80% movies / 20% music. Just heard many of these at RMAF in Denver, but unfortunately, I don’t think RBH was there (at least I couldn’t find them).

Did you not have multiple subs with your RBH speakers before?

M

markl9

Audiophyte
Did you not have multiple subs with your RBH speakers before?
Yes, I have two SVS SB3000s and they do a nice job of blending with smaller speakers especially with the Anthem bass management and ARC. But, I had never heard music sound so good in my room as when I had the B&W towers. They just put out a much larger sound stage.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello fellow RBH fans,

I’ve been enjoying my RBH speakers for a few years. I have a mix of the SV and SX models, all small (no towers),7 speakers in total. All are the non R models with the silk dome tweeters. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Anthem MRX 1120 and my buddy brought over his B&W towers to see how they would sound on the Anthem. After hearing the difference these full range speakers made, especially for music, I have the upgrade bug. My budget is about $5K so I could get the RBH reference towers. Do you think the SV6500R would blend ok with my older RBH speakers or should I go with the non R tower model (SV6500)? I could go with another brand, but I know that could lead to eventually replacing everything which would be very expensive. There are local dealers where I can listen to Focal, Revel, B&W, Dynaudio, and Paradigm. All of these brands get great reviews in this price range. My listening is about 80% movies / 20% music. Just heard many of these at RMAF in Denver, but unfortunately, I don’t think RBH was there (at least I couldn’t find them).

You should go with whatever sounds best to you.

Definitely audition every speaker you can.

Have you compared the RBH SVT (SV831/SV1212N) Towers vs the B&W towers?

I do have the SVT towers and SX-T2R towers if you are ever in in the OKC area.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hello fellow RBH fans,

I’ve been enjoying my RBH speakers for a few years. I have a mix of the SV and SX models, all small (no towers),7 speakers in total. All are the non R models with the silk dome tweeters. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Anthem MRX 1120 and my buddy brought over his B&W towers to see how they would sound on the Anthem. After hearing the difference these full range speakers made, especially for music, I have the upgrade bug. My budget is about $5K so I could get the RBH reference towers. Do you think the SV6500R would blend ok with my older RBH speakers or should I go with the non R tower model (SV6500)? I could go with another brand, but I know that could lead to eventually replacing everything which would be very expensive. There are local dealers where I can listen to Focal, Revel, B&W, Dynaudio, and Paradigm. All of these brands get great reviews in this price range. My listening is about 80% movies / 20% music. Just heard many of these at RMAF in Denver, but unfortunately, I don’t think RBH was there (at least I couldn’t find them).

IME, unless you are listening without subwoofers or your speakers simply do not have enough output to play at the volume you want, there is amazingly little to be gained by buying floorstanders (unless you just really like the look!). Accordingly, I don't believe switching to floorstanders will get you much of what you are looking for. The switch to the reference drivers might, and if you can borrow or buy (with return option) RBH bookshelfs with the reference drivers, that would be worthwhile. Compare them in your room first and then take them to your friends house to compare with his B&W's. To me, the ease of transporting the smaller speakers without risking damage makes avoiding towers worthwhile - like I said, I have never experienced a substantial change in sound between smaller and larger speakers when there is a sub in play.

But I am maybe getting ahead of myself! What was it you liked so about the B&W's? and which model does he have? Did you listen to your music or his (how familiar are you with the music you heard)?

Why aren't you considering buying the same speakers he has? It seems like that is you new objective - to meet or beat the B&W's.

I am a RBH fan, but once you've been around this hobby, you realize there is no one speaker brand that is the perfect solution for everyone. Personally, I would be equally happy with upper level speakers from Revel, Focal, or Salk to name just a few. They don't sound identical, but they do sound equally fantastic! The switch to the /R drivers is a easily heard improvement IME, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, you should move on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis