Yamaha Receivers Problem with Net Radio

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well I figured enough time has passed since the Yamaha/vTuner snafu and I contacted Yamaha tech support, asking them whether a new/future firmware update will ever be released with Airable Radio or is there a compatibility issue with their processors?

Let us pray.

As I've stated before I live in a valley with crappy FM reception, even with an outside antennae, and the missus is getting restless :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Well I figured enough time has passed since the Yamaha/vTuner snafu and I contacted Yamaha tech support, asking them whether a new/future firmware update will ever be released with Airable Radio or is there a compatibility issue with their processors?

Let us pray.

As I've stated before I live in a valley with crappy FM reception, even with an outside antennae, and the missus is getting restless :D
Is your net radio not working??

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m getting “Net Radio” stations still on my RXA2060. Is that what you are talking about?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Unless I pay vTuner $3 a year, I got squat on my RX-A's 830, 2000 & 3000 models. Plus I prefer Airable vs. vTuner on my RX-A 2040, 3040 & 3070 models anyway.
Oh ok. When Yamaha changed apps for net radio I just kinda went with it. I was able to find most of the stations I had from the old app. Net radio probably makes up about 20% of my listening anyways. I hope you can find a happy medium.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I didn’t realize net radio had a different tuner than before.

I like the new one just as much. I spent some time today listening.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha confirmed there are no plans for a firmware upgrade to certain older models to get Airable Radio in the future, so I forked over the $3 yearly subscription service to vTuner for the RX-A830 in the kitchen.

The missus is mollified. It's got to be the cheapest price I've paid to date for peace in the valley. :cool:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I didn’t realize net radio had a different tuner than before.

I like the new one just as much. I spent some time today listening.
I guess I should have read your post:

“models RX-Axx40 and above can do a firmware update to get Airable Radio”

Mine are all new enough for the update so this luckily didn’t affect me.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I like the high res channels on it...the only thing I wish that Yamaha would have done is allow you to use a wired connection instead of a mandatory WIFI connection for NET Radio.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I like the high res channels on it...the only thing I wish that Yamaha would have done is allow you to use a wired connection instead of a mandatory WIFI connection for NET Radio.
Mandatory WIFI?? My Yamaha 3060 is hard wired to the router with an Ethernet cable. And net radio works just fine.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Oh BTW I forgot to mention. If you have multiple Yamaha AVR models that have Net Radio and other Yamaha models that have been affected by this change, vTuner's $3 yearly subscription service fee will cover those models too. You just need to provide the MAC address of all the models to vTuner when you go to pay.

Last edited:
hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I listened to Netradio quite a bit over the last 5 days and had no problems, except all my favorites were gone, and a couple of the stations are no longer available. I guess we will see on the Denon...

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Mandatory WIFI?? My Yamaha 3060 is hard wired to the router with an Ethernet cable. And net radio works just fine.
I will check again, but as I recall the only way NetRadio worked on my CX5100 was with WIFi.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I will check again, but as I recall the only way NetRadio worked on my CX5100 was with WIFi.
5100.PNG

No preamp worth it's salt would be missing a Network port. The 5100 is no different. If yours is not working, you have a defective unit.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
My port works...just not with NetRadio. When I set it up for wired it says connected, but in Net Radio it says not available.
Oh ok,
I would say there is an issue then. Have you contacted Yamaha support?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
My port works...just not with NetRadio. When I set it up for wired it says connected, but in Net Radio it says not available.
More than likely you have a configuration issue but nonetheless do a firmware upgrade to the unit and get the new Airable Radio net radio station; more choices and plays nice with Yamaha AVR's.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Well it must have been my switch causing the problem... I hooked it up direct, and now it works.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just LOL when I read whining comments about 'that $3 per YEAR' vTuner now charges. Just stop buying that shitty cup of coffee from Starbuck$ and you've recouped some funds for Net Radio (and other nice AV things). :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis